Religion in society of lack thereof.... General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-26-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Religion in society of lack thereof....

Religion in society of lack thereof....

Is it just me or has religion today become a thing of the past? It almost seems that being spiritual has become not sociably acceptable. Those that try to hold on to beliefs and keep their morals intact are shunned upon because they are accused of not being open-minded. Why is it that what was once considered wrong is now considered right or acceptable?

I understand that many have lost their faith in organized religion, and to be honest, you can't really blame them. By why when they loose their faith in religion, to they also abandon their believe in God? It is not God's word, or the examples that his son provided us that have gone wrong it is man's abandonement of those words or their manipulation of those words, that have created the state that society is in today. Man will surely be his own demise. But, is it really too late. If one doesn't want to be involved in organized religion because of all the false teachings, why can't we still live by the examples that were set out for us, such as the golden rule, and love thy neighbour. Surely with philosophies like that we could all make the world a better place.

Please when posting on this, don't bash others beliefs, and please be respectful of others opinions. This is not intended to cause a rift between people on this forum. I am just curious how others feel about the spiritual decline of society and how we might be able to make things better.
Old 02-26-2007

Why did they take religion out of the schools? I remember every morning we had the lord's prayer,oh canada, and a cod liver oil pill. ( this was not yesterday.) I also remember having to go to a different school because of my religion. When my daughters were in school they went to a mixed religion school(protesant/catholic) and everyday they had to leave school half hour before others because they were not the other religion that was being taught at that time. I feel that this is something which should be available for all. Maybe just maybe kids would get off on the right step and it not be something extra parents would have to do if they didn't want to.
It should be encouraged and introduced to all.
Old 02-26-2007

I don't go to church, but have a strong faith. I've done several things that the bible says I shouldn't have, some I regret, some I don't. I'm not so much concerned with the lack of religion as the lack of morals, lack of respect, lack of basic integrity that some people show. It's as though this day and age, it's normal to benumb emotionally, and not to be considerate of others.
Old 02-26-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Mmm religious discussion, this usually ends bad

But many today, don't even believe in God. Or the God the church preaches about. I think one thing about organized religion that some, as I'm one of them, find offensive is that people from said churches can come to our doors, be pushy, critical of our beliefs when we try to politely tell them no and why. I'm very against people pushing their beliefs off on others. A person doesn't have to go to church to have morals. Be polite, don't steal, cheat, lie, rape, murder, and so on, to me, is common sense. I know many that go to church, and I have nothing against them or their church. But I do have something against what they do when they try to force their beliefs off on me or criticize my beliefs and so on.

Society has very diverse beliefs today. Christianity is only one of many religions common among the people of society today.

I also agree with religion being kept out of schools.
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittydottie View Post
Why did they take religion out of the schools? I remember every morning we had the lord's prayer,oh canada, and a cod liver oil pill. ( this was not yesterday.) I also remember having to go to a different school because of my religion. When my daughters were in school they went to a mixed religion school(protesant/catholic) and everyday they had to leave school half hour before others because they were not the other religion that was being taught at that time. I feel that this is something which should be available for all. Maybe just maybe kids would get off on the right step and it not be something extra parents would have to do if they didn't want to.
It should be encouraged and introduced to all.
you sound like you grew up in the same time frame as i did
i used to hate those pills
Old 02-26-2007

Religion has gone out the window. This goes back to the post about them changing the city transit buses from merry Christmas to Happy Holidays. Its sad yes for some but Canada and the USA or the westernized society as we will call it is SO incredibly diverse that having white religious beliefs back in schools or in the public would lead to nothing but a fight. Think about it we have muslims, jews, jehovah's, and all these other religions that are so different from what we know here in NB that if we were to add it back it would be an uproar and so it should. I was catholic growing up but have turned away from that religion for my own reasons.
I agree with NBCHICK morals should not be soely based on your religious beliefs as we all a very different. You do not have to go to church to believe in something and I think that if you were to go to Montreal, Toronto , or Vancouver you would see that religion is their for those who want it. Catholic schools with uniforms for those who choose that path, public for the others, NB is just so incredibly white that we are lagging behind the rest of Canada who has been diverse for ages. I think diversity is an amazing thing and can help bring us altogether. Religion should not have 1 thing to do with government,politics, and society and should be left for those who want to practice. Oh which reminded me that Toronto has now opened its first school for native children, it has schools for french children etc etc. We just dont have the demand here
Old 02-26-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

I dont' think it is necessary anymore to go about with the need to tell everyone how you went to church or that you prayed, I think most now find that their relationship with whichever god they pray to is a personal thing. As long as I know that i have done good and lived within my moral code I am fine.
Old 02-26-2007

I think the issue is people put religion and belief in God in teh same pile, and it isnt always the same thing. I beleive in God 110% and I am proud of that. I am saved, I tell people about Him, and I pray for people. But that being said, I think the main post is wrong. I beleive more people go to church, more believe. There are so many things in the world that seem to overshadow God, but that is what is is..Seems..just seems. It doesnt, there is nothing as powerful or awesome as He is.
I will go to Heaven, I will see my Mom, and hopefully, a good many of you there as well.
Old 02-26-2007

So if we don't believe in your God, we won't go to your heaven? Is that what you're saying? That is exactly what I meant about others pushing their beliefs off on people.

I don't know, just something about what you said puppyluv, didn't come off very well to me. Praying for people is great, it shows you care about them. But to feel ashamed while reading your post because I don't agree with it, is exactly what I'm against.
Old 02-26-2007

I agree NBCHICK. I didnt completely understand what she was trying to get across? God is God to those who believe in him. However this is suppose to stay impartial so I am not interested in divulging weather or not i believe as its unimportant. Religion is prevalent in society if you want it to be, the resources are there if you want them. If you choose not to forgo a relationship with god thats ok too. But praying for people who do not believe will not do them any good
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchickie View Post
I agree NBCHICK. I didnt completely understand what she was trying to get across? God is God to those who believe in him. However this is suppose to stay impartial so I am not interested in divulging weather or not i believe as its unimportant. Religion is prevalent in society if you want it to be, the resources are there if you want them. If you choose not to forgo a relationship with god thats ok too. But praying for people who do not believe will not do them any good
There's a whole debate in itself, even for those who believe, does praying do any good? I simply see praying for people as well wishes. I don't put much more into it then that. But if the praying is for the target person to see the way of God and so on, I see that as wanting to manipulate somebody. Praying to me I guess, is just all thought.
Old 02-26-2007

Here is a question to you all

If a 2 year old baby just comes out of a life saving surgery after having a deadly cancer removed, he comes out fine and healthy, do you get down on your hands and knees and thank god that all is well and he will live?

but do you also thank god for giving him the cancer in the first place?

If god was so great, that 2 year old should not have had cancer to begin with, that baby did nothing in this world to deserve it.
Old 02-26-2007

What I get a kick out of is you can't talk about the Bible in school but you can talk about our religions like witchcraft(I'm just using this as an example, I have nothing against witches)! The reason I use this example is that a friend of mine's child was in a class where they were reading Harry Potter and they started to discuss Witchcraft, well the little girl brought up about her beliefs (christianity) and she was told they were not allowed to talk about the bible or God in class. I just think that is plain wrong. If your allowed to talk about one religion why can't you talk about another one?
As for me, I have my beliefs but I respect others beliefs as well. I don't know if this thread will get nasty or not but everyone should go by this: Just because it isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean you should throw it down the drain. That is my preaching for today!
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinna Dah View Post
Here is a question to you all

If a 2 year old baby just comes out of a life saving surgery after having a deadly cancer removed, he comes out fine and healthy, do you get down on your hands and knees and thank god that all is well and he will live?

but do you also thank god for giving him the cancer in the first place?

If god was so great, that 2 year old should not have had cancer to begin with, that baby did nothing in this world to deserve it.

Big picture, maybe he inspired someone to live a more fulfilling life?
There's not really a right or wrong answer. There's not really a right or wrong religion either. But I personally choose to believe in something, whether it be naive or not. Sure bad things happen to good people, and good things happen to bad people ,but if life was peachy keen all the time for everyone who reads a bible to their kids or practices any other religion... Well that to me just seems unrealistic.
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbchick View Post
So if we don't believe in your God, we won't go to your heaven? Is that what you're saying? That is exactly what I meant about others pushing their beliefs off on people.

I don't know, just something about what you said puppyluv, didn't come off very well to me. Praying for people is great, it shows you care about them. But to feel ashamed while reading your post because I don't agree with it, is exactly what I'm against.
That is your perogative. You feel how you feel and I feel how I feel. I believe in what the Bible says. You dont have to. And I pushed nothing. You took it that way. You can feel however you want, I wouldnt bother trying to change someones mind.
Old 02-26-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

My mom told me when I was younger that it is better to have no religion then to fight over one. I have studied alot of religions and find it all extremely interesting. I personally do not believe in God but do not judge others who do. Most of my friends come from VERY catholic familes, my step mother and sisters are Jehovahs witnesses and my grandmother is a Bahai. I think it is great that in todays world we can have our beliefs and not be judged. I dont believe in God but I do believe in morals. I have two children and I believe that they have a right to choose there own religion, my oldest daughter loves going to Sunday school, its her choice. As for the schools I can kinda see why they dont teach religion Im just happy as long as they teach morals. I do know that there are private Catholic schools, my friends daughter went to one.

Cod liver pills what a bad memory, one time I was complaining because I didnt want to take mine so my dad told me to bite it and it would taste better. Ill forever have that bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-26-2007

Lisa what is Bahai? I don't think I've ever heard of it.
Old 02-26-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

The Bahia faith is a more about unity than anything, they believe in peace no matter who you are or where your from. Many people in my family are Bahai's. I grew up with this faith being taught, its where most of my morals come from. My grandmother has gone all over the world teaching people about the faith. This link will better explain it. http://www.bahai.org/faq/facts/bahai_faith

For a global society to flourish, Bahá’u’lláh said, it must be based on certain fundamental principles. They include the elimination of all forms of prejudice; full equality between the sexes; recognition of the essential oneness of the world’s great religions; the elimination of extremes of poverty and wealth; universal education; the harmony of science and religion; a sustainable balance between nature and technology; and the establishment of a world federal system, based on collective security and the oneness of humanity.

Last edited by Lisa_morris; 02-26-2007 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 02-26-2007
New Member (< 10 posts)

Smile Topic: Religion in society of lack thereof....

Here's my thought...........

I have strong faith in God not because of church not because someone tells me just because, of life.. Throughout my life I have come to the conclusion there is something bigger than me that helps me; not when I want it but because I really needed it . And I say it is God. If you ask me that is what I would tell you….. If you want me to prove it I can give you stories. A lot of them…. I can be a slow learner sometimes and you can explain it anyway you want but the end result it was bigger than me and I choose the name God,
I go to church, not as much as I should , it isn’t the church it’s because I am lazy, kind of like exercising once you start making excuses …….well ……. But when I do, I am like a lot of people… I sit in the pew, only half hearing but every once in awhile a preacher is up there saying it and the hair is standing up in the back of my neck cause I figure he’s talking about me (even though I know he doesn’t know me) so, I pay attention and you know, I’m not offended, I take it…think it over figure it’s a my bad and maybe work at correcting it. I think we can all use a swift kick every now and again. Can’t we?
So you will have to excuse me where is the argument can’t see it ….if the name you use isn’t God yet you get help from something bigger than yourself but use a different name, if your god preaches love one another , and if you want to pray to your god for my well being then bless you or what ever term you use; I can use all the help I can get, and If I don’t get to your heaven but make it to mine that’s O.K too…
Even though you use a different name but believe in a higher power with the same teachings I think you will find faith in whatever name you use which is alive and thriving in a lot of us …… just a NB incredibly white religious belief
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_morris View Post
The Bahia faith is a more about unity than anything, they believe in peace no matter who you are or where your from. Many people in my family are Bahai's. I grew up with this faith being taught, its where most of my morals come from. My grandmother has gone all over the world teaching people about the faith. This link will better explain it. http://www.bahai.org/faq/facts/bahai_faith

For a global society to flourish, Bahá’u’lláh said, it must be based on certain fundamental principles. They include the elimination of all forms of prejudice; full equality between the sexes; recognition of the essential oneness of the world’s great religions; the elimination of extremes of poverty and wealth; universal education; the harmony of science and religion; a sustainable balance between nature and technology; and the establishment of a world federal system, based on collective security and the oneness of humanity.
Thanks! I found this interesting and I hadn't heard of it before. I like learning new things.