The issue of language in society General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-22-2007

Default Topic: The issue of language in society

The issue of language in society

I don't mean the improper use, like ain't etc. I am referring to cursing and swearing.
I hate hearing or reading it. It makes me cringe. And while I am not perfect (we all have those moments I think when something slips out) I refuse to deal with people when they can't find other ways to express themselves verbally than to use curse words.
I won't serve them at work if they curse at me and I don't tolerate it in emails etc. I would sooner not get an email than get part way through it to find such garbage and delete it.

Am I missing some secret code of this day and age..the how's and why's of cursing? I think it sounds absolutely disgusting and uneducated, hearing all ages, female or male cursing up a storm. I just don't get it.
I owe my not swearing big/any to my Mom. I have to tell you, Dial soap is the WORST tasting soap you could ever imagine....
What's the big attraction to sounding like a gutter snipe?

Last edited by puppyluv; 02-22-2007 at 09:05 PM..
Old 02-22-2007

Oopsie :(

I like Marshmallows.
But not so much swearing.
Unfortunately, after my frustrations with this past month, and after spending a day or two with my sailor of a little sister... I have been bad. :P Ick.
But I'm getting better. I hate the way it sounds when other people swear, and even more if I slip up. it's icky.

Old 02-22-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

When your all pissed off nothing feels better then letting out a great big "Ahhh *editted*Great stress relief!! LOL

Last edited by puppyluv; 02-23-2007 at 05:14 AM..
Old 02-22-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I don't mind it if it's between friends or while alone and not overused. People who swear around others and especially children need to watch what they are saying.
Old 02-23-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I think it sounds low class, in certain circumstances you can't help it. Like the other day I was walking down N. Market street and slipped and fell. I yelled and used the j-word, I was so mad, wet, dirty etc and it HURT. But I only said it once, I didnt get up, and swear and curse all the while wiping myself off. I think that is the difference, anyone can swear when frightened or surprised or angry, its when you keep on mouthing off after the initial shock that is the real problem, when you sound like trailer trash. I have also taken to making up words when I am mad, like fadoodle or snickit. Try it, it's just a word.
Old 02-23-2007

i seem to be at a loss for words.

the j word?

do you mean jaunt?
that is the only one that i can think of that fits.

ill have to go hang out with some potty mouths for a while and get tuned up.
Old 02-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnugly View Post

the j word?

do you mean jaunt?

Jesus... loves me this I know....
Old 02-23-2007

oh
the worst one of all
i should have known
tisk tisk tisk

bad trinity
Old 02-23-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I think that even though there seems to be still some negativity towards curse words, as a whole, society has seem to come to an acceptance towards curse words. Words that you would only hear from a sailor or an R-rated movie are now common place today. I work in the industrial sector and there isn't a day that goes by that you don't hear swearing. A circumstance that comes to mind was the other day I was listening to the Wave at 2:30 in the afternoon, and I heard the S-word, wasn't to long ago that if a radio was to play those kind of lyrics they would lose their broadcasting license. I guess that's part of society today to be more accepting of what was once considered morally wrong, swearing included. Not that I am saying I agree with it.
Old 02-23-2007

Unfortunetly the J word is the one that I say too if I am really mad. I think the F word is the worst. I absolutely hate that word.
Old 02-23-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

For different cultures, different words are considered foul-a lot of otherwise classy educated French people use the F-word with no more meaning to them than 'double double." However, using curse words that are connected to the church are considered extremely foul. On the other hand for me,words that hold religious connotations for Christians have no import for me since I left the church behind years ago.
Old 02-23-2007

I would have to say that the foul language that makes me cringe the most would have to be derogatory remarks in regards to someone's age or race or that shows disrespect towards a loved one i.e. old lady for your girlfriend or mother or old man for your boyfriend or father.
I have been in many public settings where I have heard people running off at the mouth and have politely asked them to watch their mouth as my son was with me at the time, I have very little tolerance for those situations.
But like anyone else, I can have a potty mouth at times, mostly when I'm furious. But on a daily basis, I try to keep it pretty clean. I use phrases like holy smokers, jumpin jelly beans LOL you get the idea. Afterall, I mind children and that would be the last thing I would want them saying to their parents
Old 02-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnugly View Post

the j word?

do you mean jaunt?

"and get tuned up"? lol..that refers to a mind expanding session..I never cuss when I'm tuned.
Old 02-23-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

LOL
Old 02-23-2007

It is sad that some people have to resort to just screaming curses.

I also find centering, poor fonts and colours terrible too. *Hint Hint*

j/k
Old 02-23-2007

I agree with you, Puppyluv.

I have actually left movies because of the language. Think about this - anyone ever see the Godfather Trilogy? I can count on 1 hand the number of swear words IN THE ENTIRE TRILOGY! Now, how about 8-Mile? I couldn't sit through it. I don't understand why people seem to think that they need to use vulgarity to get their point across. If the Godfather can do it without vulgarity, why can't we???
Old 02-23-2007

I don't like swearing either, however when I'm in pain or really mad sometimes it slips out. What I really can't stand is when people use the f-word for every second word when they are talking. It's a little annoying. Also I find it very interesting when people don't want you saying the f-word around them but then they say the lords name in vain all the time.