Who ate Pancakes for supper tonight? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-20-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Who ate Pancakes for supper tonight?

Who ate Pancakes for supper tonight?

I had pancakes for supper tonight as my mother is caring for me right now and she made them cause today is Pancake Day or something like that. Did anyone else have pancakes out there tonight? And can anyone explain this "tradition" to me? My mother says it has something to do with lent for easter but we're baptist and don't do lent. Any experts out there on this topic? I'm just really curious!
Old 02-20-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I had Arbys im addicted to their baked potatoes the surpreme ones Lol

never heard of pan cakeday though i love blueberry pancakes tho
mmmmMmm
Old 02-20-2007

Here is some info, I had forgotten all about Shrove Tuesay, guess I need to get to Church more. What a bad Catholic I have been.

Shrove Tuesday is the term used in the United Kingdom[1], Ireland[2], and Australia[3] to refer to the day after Shrove Monday (or the more old fashioned Collop Monday) and before Ash Wednesday (the liturgical season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday). In these countries, particularly Ireland, and amongst Anglicans in Canada, this day is also known as Pancake Day, because it is customary to eat pancakes on this day.[4][5][6] In other parts of the world—for example, in historically Catholic and French-speaking parts of the United States and elsewhere—this day is called Mardi Gras. In areas with large Polish-immigrant populations (for example, Chicago and Detroit) it is known as Paczki Day. And in areas with large German-immigrant populations (for example, Pennsylvania Dutch Country) it is known as Fasnacht Day or Fauschnaut Day.

The French also have a festival associated with pancakes (crêpes) which is held on February 2 each year. This festival is called Chandeleur and is a celebration of light (the name is derived from the word "chandelle" which also gave the English word "candle". The festival is known as Candlemas in English). It is thought that pancakes are associated to this celebration because of the solar symbolic of their shape and colour. The traditional food for Mardi Gras are sweet fried dumplings usually served in the shape of a loose knot or a 5cm wide, 20cm long strip of dough one extremity of which is passed through a slit in its middle.

The reason that pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent is that the 40 days of Lent form a period of liturgical fasting, during which only the plainest foodstuffs may be eaten. Therefore, rich ingredients such as eggs, milk, sugar and flour are disposed of immediately prior to the commencement of the fast. Pancakes and doughnuts were therefore an efficient way of using up these perishable goods, besides providing a minor celebratory feast prior to the fast itself [2].

The word shrove is a past tense of the English verb "shrive," which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by confessing and doing penance.[7] Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the shriving (confession) that Anglo-Saxon Christians were expected to receive immediately before Lent.[8]

Shrove Tuesday is the last day of "shrovetide," which is the English equivalent to the Carnival tradition that developed separately out of the countries of Latin Europe. In countries of the Carnival tradition, the day before Ash Wednesday is known either as the "Tuesday of Carnival" (in Spanish-speaking countries, "Martes de Carnaval," in Portuguese-speaking countries, "Terça-feira de Carnaval", in German "Faschingsdienstag") or "Carnival Tuesday" (in Portuguese-speaking countries "Terça-feira Gorda", in French-speaking countries, "Mardi Gras," in Italian-speaking countries, "Martedì Grasso").

The term "Shrove Tuesday" is not widely known in the United States[9][10], especially in those regions that celebrate Mardi Gras on the day before Ash Wednesday.
Old 02-20-2007

Smile Topic: Who ate Pancakes for supper tonight?

Get well!!

Off topic...Hope your feelin ok cherry pop...Hope everything went good with your surgery...
Old 02-20-2007

I love Arbys beef'n'cheddar!
Old 02-20-2007

Thanks Dave! It's really quite interesting! Thanks tessa! My surgery went well but I still kind of feel like I was hit by a truck (really sore)! I do appear to have one little complication, nothing serious but I think I might have to have one more surgery just a little day surgery and then I should be good as new hopefully! The worst part is the healing process - sitting around is no fun!
Old 02-20-2007

i saw a bunch of signs advertising pancake supper, all over town at the churches.... i myself hate pancakes, does that make me a bad catholic
Old 02-20-2007

I had pancakes with lots of Aunt Jemima syrup!
Yummy
Old 02-20-2007

Some people also put wrapped up coins in wax paper in the pancakes for the kids to find as a little present. Now I know a lot of you are thinking that it might not be safe to do that but the kids are usually told ahead of time, so they pretty much shred the pancakes for the coins, before eating them of course.
Old 02-20-2007

I have never heard of coins in the pancakes but we did have them in our birthdays cakes growing up...
Old 02-21-2007

I can't believe I forgot all about it too. I am such a bad Catholic!!! I need to go to church more!
Old 02-21-2007

how about the ever popular bacon & eggs day? lol
Old 02-21-2007

Yep we had our pancakes, bacon, sauages, hasbrowns, and scrammbled eggs just like we do every year.
Old 02-21-2007

Pancakes last night and fish tonight (You're not supposed to eat meat on Ash Wednesday).

Now - who's giving what up for lent????? :-)

I'm swearing off junk food!
Old 02-21-2007

Hrm i gave up chocolate and coffee last year, and lost like... 15 lbs... but no way am i going to try that this year. i'd fail miserably.
I really have no clue what i'm going to give up, but I do know I want pan caakes now.
Old 02-21-2007

my sons school had pancakes for lunch yesterday
Old 02-21-2007

My mother in law usually does money pancakes on pancake day, and last year i got the toonie!!! LOL
Old 02-22-2007

I never heard of money pancakes :P
Old 02-22-2007

I've never heard of money pancakes, but I HAVE heard of money cake - it's the same concept - great for birthday parties and such (Well - B-Day party as a kid...) You just need to make sure that everyone knows that they are looking for something in the cake!
Old 02-22-2007

hehehe