Good Deed of the Day!!! Anyone interested? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-16-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Good Deed of the Day!!! Anyone interested?

Good Deed of the Day!!! Anyone interested?

Maybe this is a bit foolish or corny, but oh well, here goes:

There are many things that bug us day to day, many people that probably really irk us, bad news stories that we hear about etc.... disagreements we get into. Why dont we have a section for good deeds or good things that may have happened... It could be something that you have done for someone else, something that someone else has done for you, maybe someone did something to brighten your day or maybe just a thanks to the guy that stopped to let you out this morning. If we all pledged to do one "good deed" each day (for a stranger or someone you know), I think that it would be refreshing to hear about them.
Too many times, we concentrate on the negative and dont take the time to concentrate on the positive.

What do you think?
Old 02-16-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I think it's a great idea! It's nice to hear about positive issues or events rather than hearing about negative ones all the time!
Old 02-16-2007

mmm agreed! I like the idea forsure.
I guess Ill post one. :P
This is my first day off in about 7 days, so I desided today that sence my pregnant butt has prolly been driven my poor b/f nuts.:P (hes just been very helpful with everything... a lil too concerning somtimes- he wont let me walk across an icey patch with him holding my arm:P)
I desided that sence I don't have to get up and whip off to werk early that Im going to make him an extra big breaky today. Not some life changin deed or anything:P but puts a darn smile on his face:P
plus Im always up for food!
Old 02-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_daisie View Post
mmm agreed! I like the idea forsure.
I guess Ill post one. :P
This is my first day off in about 7 days, so I desided today that sence my pregnant butt has prolly been driven my poor b/f nuts.:P (hes just been very helpful with everything... a lil too concerning somtimes- he wont let me walk across an icey patch with him holding my arm:P)
I desided that sence I don't have to get up and whip off to werk early that Im going to make him an extra big breaky today. Not some life changin deed or anything:P but puts a darn smile on his face:P
plus Im always up for food!
I know you said its "Not life changin..." but it is tough since its your first day off in 7, and your pregnant! I bet he appreciated it!

Last edited by Smash; 02-16-2007 at 12:25 PM..
Old 02-16-2007

Nothing big, but one day I was waiting to get in line at tim horton's and this guy let me through right away, so i asked the girl at the window what he ordered and paid for it as a thank you. I guess one good deed gets the paypack from another.
Old 02-16-2007

I love the pay-it-forward idea...

...I like catching the girls at Timmy's by surprise on the days it's particularly stormy and the poor things have to serve customers through the drive thru window, when I can spare it, I give them $5 more than what my coffee costs. It puts a smile on their faces and probably makes up a little extra for the miserable job of freezing at the window.

Another thing that really caught my attention one day (because I'd considered doing it before too) was at the St. Joe's hospital I went to put a few dollars in to pay for parking. This older gentleman came up to me and said, no no dear, here there's still 2 hours left on my ticket. Save your money...

It was such a nice gesture that I've tried to do the same if I still have time left on my ticket, which I usually do.
Old 02-16-2007

That just might have been The_Dave. He does that all the time. I recall waiting quit a few mins till someone came along to give what was left of our parking pass. He wouldn't leave till he found someone.
Also we went to Crystal Palace a few weekends ago . And we had a few tickets left over after we were done (having a great time) and he gave them away to the couple that had the most kids. He is one of the kindest most thoughtful people that I know. I couldn't even begin to list the good jestures that I have seen him do.
He is the type that would hold the door open for a lady or a gentlemen that he saw coming a mile away. He would wait there 5 or more mins if he had to just to hold the door open. I wanted to mention this as he has made me the same type of person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tred816 View Post
I love the pay-it-forward idea...

...I like catching the girls at Timmy's by surprise on the days it's particularly stormy and the poor things have to serve customers through the drive thru window, when I can spare it, I give them $5 more than what my coffee costs. It puts a smile on their faces and probably makes up a little extra for the miserable job of freezing at the window.

Another thing that really caught my attention one day (because I'd considered doing it before too) was at the St. Joe's hospital I went to put a few dollars in to pay for parking. This older gentleman came up to me and said, no no dear, here there's still 2 hours left on my ticket. Save your money...

It was such a nice gesture that I've tried to do the same if I still have time left on my ticket, which I usually do.
Old 02-18-2007

I just want to acknowledge the people that were willing to offer furniture and household items to the gentleman that needed help (whether it is legitimate or not). It just shows that iSaintJohn definately has some great people.....unfortunately those are the people that get taken advantage of too often. If it is a scam, (which I really hope it isnt) don't let that discourage you from doing nice things, there are good people out there in need of help. Hats off to you guys!!
Old 02-18-2007

I recently clean out my closet, and ended up with 2 big garbage bags full of mens and womens clothes, I took them up stairs to one of my neighors who is not to well to do, and she just about started to cry, so happy to get some "new" clothes. I also took up all my old corelle dishes, since I had gotten new suff for Christmas, she was tickled pink.

The lucky fella next door, is a real nice old man, he was blessed with all the plants (10 or more) that I decided I didnt want to take care of anymore lol, he was sooo happy. I had a vine that practically wraped around my kitchen, his eyes just poped when he seen that one lol.
Old 02-19-2007

See, sometimes you can make someones day and it doesnt cost a cent!!
Old 02-19-2007

Christmas

This year my mom had won over $1000 worth of beauty products at Shoppers. Instead of keeping it for herself she asked me to come up with two single moms who deserved something special. So I picked my best friends mom who has worked so hard her whole life and never got anything given to her and then I picked my neighbor who was in her 40's trying to go back to school. We made up huge christmas socks with pjs, slippers and so much more and left it on their door step. They still have no idea who sent it to them.My mom left a note just to let them know that they are doing great and that Santa has been keeping an eye on them but she did not leave her name. Trying to leave stockings on doorsteps is no easy task, it was a blast listening to them go on about their secret santa. My mom does this every year, next year she is looking for young single moms trying to make a living. Its always nice to get a surprise and know that someone thinks your doing a great job.
Old 02-19-2007

That's a great idea, and so thoughtful... And with all of the points cards (Optimum, HBC, Sears etc...) and stuff out there these days, it would be quite easy to be able to use them and donate the stuff to someone that you know really needs it.... and hey, the next time you know of someone that has beauty products to give away.... here's my address... Just kidding!!!!

Old 02-19-2007

Canada Day

My oldest daughter loves Canda Day, she looks forward to it each year. I live by many kids who dont get the chance to uptown for all the excitment so me and my friends have started a Canada Party of our own in my neighborhood. We buy a huge cake, balloons, BarBQ hotdogs and the city is nice enough to give us flags, pins, tattoos and stuff. One of my friends has a huge 9 foot water slide, so we set it all up in the field by our house and watch the kids have a blast. Its not alot but the kids down here now always look forward to it.
Old 02-19-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

It always feels good to do something nice for another person and it in turn makes other people's day nicer.If 1 person is nice to 2 people and that puts them in the mood to be nice to 2 more people then 1 person being nice has improved the odds 6 other peoples days.
Old 02-20-2007

My good deed story has to do with the nurses I had at the hospital recently. I usually get really mean nurses when I'm in the hospital but this time was different. They were all really great (3C North)! One nurse named Paula was especially great. I was really nervous about getting a drain tube removed and she totally took her time with me and talked me through it. She was great. She always took her time with me with any concerns I had and let me tell you that is rare! I have never had a nurse who is so nice and who really listen to me when I was scared. Most act to busy and don't listen to what you are saying. So thanks to Paula for making my hospital stay much easier than usual!!!
Old 02-21-2007

I would really like to say a big thank you to the school bus drivers that pull over and let a long line of cars go by so that they dont have to stop and go every few minutes while the kids are getting picked up..... It doesnt seem like much, but some buses stop every couple of minutes to pick up the kids and the traffic really backs up. So again, THANKS!
Old 02-21-2007

I was in Sobey's the other day going thru withe checkout, and the lady and her young son of maybe 9 or 10 were behind me . She was leaning on the counter with her head on her arm for a sec then passed some money and lose change to her son stating here u pay for it I am going to be sick . She went out side , anyway my order went thru and as the cashier put his items thru , she told him the total and he passed her the money .

I was picking up my groc bags I noticed she said I'm sorry hon you don't have enough money , the poor wee fella put his hands up in the air and didn't say anything , I asked how much is he short she said exactly $1.00.

I passed her a loonie and said here ya go . She said boy it's nice to see there are still some nice people left in this world.
I said it was worth it to see the look of relief on the lil fewllows face, and went on my way.

I seen the mom standing outside having a cig ...lol as I was getting in my vehicle.

Point of my story is , wouldn't it be nice if we all did a good deed every day , what a nice world we would live in. ( wishful thinkin I know )
Old 02-21-2007

Great job Lemme_LQQK
Old 02-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
Great job Lemme_LQQK
Thank You , not looking for any praise, but it did feel good to make someones day...lol
Old 03-04-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I love this idea, in fact I already usually make it a point of at least letting a couple of people out in traffic per day. However, today the favor was returned to me at Tim Horton's, so as the woman who let me in pulled in behind me in the drive-thru I asked the cashier what her order was, coffee and a butter tart, so I paid for it, bringing her a little sunshine. She made my day being kind and letting me in, Thank you to whoever you were.