Arrive Alive!!! General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-14-2007

Default Topic: Arrive Alive!!!

Arrive Alive!!!

We've got nice weather out there.

Please, only go out if you must. And if you do have to go out, remember 3 simple things to insure that you arrive alive...

1) When driving, go extra slow and allow for long stops. This will ensure your able to stop without going to the intersection or into the car in front of you. Patience and taking your time helps.

2) When wiping off the snow on the car, make sure you also uncover your headlights and all signal lights. This is especially important in freezing rain as it will cover up your signal lights and make them harder to see.

3) When going down a steep hill, of course go slow. But also slip your car into neutral. Even when not giving gas there is still some drive on your front wheels from the engine (that's why you can move forward at an idle). Putting it in neutral removes this extra force from your tire and gives you that little extra...

Be safe out there people...
Old 02-14-2007

Never take your car out of gear. Never.

Use the power of the engine to slow you down, Called engine braking. Don't give people advice like that. That can cause accidents. If you need to move quickly and you forget your car is isn't in gear. Bad things can happen.
Old 02-14-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Actually - the moderator is right in this case. In snow or icy conditions it's safer to be in neutral when slowing (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...interdrive.htm) as sudden braking or acceleration can add to the skidding and danger. It's better to get into trouble slowly.
Old 02-14-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

that is what i thought to people told me to put my car neutral so the car can slow down sorry i had to add that and can someone tell me when you are goin up a hill what do i put my car in to better track it uphill please need advice thanks
Old 02-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins#1 View Post
that is what i thought to people told me to put my car neutral so the car can slow down sorry i had to add that and can someone tell me when you are goin up a hill what do i put my car in to better track it uphill please need advice thanks
Depends on how good you are with your clutch/gas. If you're a pro, first gear, but second is also good. Just keep it slow and steady. Too high of a gear and you wont move at all, too low of a gear and you'll spin your way to nowhere.
Old 02-14-2007

well i think i am pretty good i have an automatic and i am a breaker lol and taht is what i don't want to do is spin so are you saying when i am in 1st or 3rd gear to break alot..
Old 02-14-2007

Quote:
well i think i am pretty good i have an automatic and i am a breaker lol and taht is what i don't want to do is spin so are you saying when i am in 1st or 3rd gear to break alot..
Quite the opposite in this kind of weather - you don't want to use your brakes unless absolutely necessary. Your brakes will cause you to skid and that's when you get in trouble, even with ABS you wont skid out of control you will still slide.

The key to driving in this weather is twofold:
1. Make sure you are ALWAYS going slow enough to be in full control of your vehicle (I drive an AWD car with winter tires and still get passed like crazy on the highway, although I usually see them in the ditch later on! )
2. Always assume that the other drivers have absolutely no clue (which most of them don't! ), and drive to be able to avoid them when they do something stooopid...

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2007

Are the buses really shut down?
Old 02-14-2007

http://www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=30

How will I know if my bus is delayed?
Saint John Transit works to make sure its buses stick to published schedules. Unfortunately, there are occasional service disruptions or schedule changes due to circumstances beyond our control. Traffic accidents, road conditions or weather can impact our scheduling.
For up-to-date information on possible delays please call the Transit main line at 506-658-4700.
Old 02-14-2007

driving

thank you very much for the input, I am leaving work soon and i drive granny style (no offence) everyone
but i have some good skills to take with me for the road
it is pretty bad i have been driving for over 10 years and i still get sick when driving in the snow
Old 02-14-2007

Lots of good tips there. I drive slowly and steadily in this kind of weather. I am always surprised that other people whip past me in these conditions. It's absolutely crazy. I am always concerned about some other speednut spinning out of control into me. I am in my house now and won't move if I don't have to.
Old 02-14-2007

Anyone know if the buses did shut down ? I called the # but no answer after 8:30pm
Old 02-14-2007

Quote:
... i still get sick when driving in the snow
Rofl. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I'm great in the snow (she refuses to drive if I will) but she thinks I'm not all there about how much I enjoy it.

I was out tonight and I seen so many halve tonnes fishtailing. If you drive a halve tonne, put something in the back of the box to weight it down, otherwise your one giant slip and slide.
Old 02-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJresident View Post
Anyone know if the buses did shut down ? I called the # but no answer after 8:30pm
No they aren't shut down as of right now. My sister just got home from work and she took the University one.
Old 02-14-2007

Tks, for letting me know !
Old 02-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcb View Post
Rofl. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I'm great in the snow (she refuses to drive if I will) but she thinks I'm not all there about how much I enjoy it.

I was out tonight and I seen so many halve tonnes fishtailing. If you drive a halve tonne, put something in the back of the box to weight it down, otherwise your one giant slip and slide.
I drive a 1/4 ton and never put any weight in the back, that takes all the fun out of driving in the snow!! Of course I have 4WD for when I can't get going at all.
Old 02-19-2007

I guess this thread it pertinent again today...
Old 02-19-2007

I ALWAYS use neutral to slow or stop AND go down hill, it immobilizes the power wheel/wheels that push/pull your vehicle thus causing skidding/sliding.
In neutral YOU have control of the vehicle ie, speed, stopping.
Along with good tires and of course a good driver.

Over the years I have had more people literally walk out in front of me in bad winter driving conditions , and being in neutral you do avoid hitting them . I guess they don't care that you can not stop on a dime !.