beware-->service@paypal.com General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-12-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: beware-->service@paypal.com

beware-->service@paypal.com

i don't think this is in the right thread so i'll leave it to the admin to redirect it (sorry admin).
today i received a email from servic@paypal.com stating :

Dear PayPal Client,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account. We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

You can resolve this issue now by clicking the hyperlink below, which will lead you to our secure webform where you will be asked to provide some of your personal informations, in order to prove your identity. It is PayPal's policy to maintain confidentiality over your personal information. We will NOT sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent.

We are sending this privacy notice to provide you with information about how PayPal safeguards your privacy, as well as to comply with U.S. federal privacy guidelines that apply to institutions that process financial information such as PayPal. The full terms of PayPal's Privacy Policy are available on the PayPal website, which you are welcome to review at any time.
etc...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEWARE this is a spoof to gather your information as i called paypal directly and they told me so ...any email paypal sends you should have your name or business name at the beginning instead of "Dear PayPal Client"

sorry admin again if this is not in the right thread but i feel it is important to isaintjohn customers
Old 02-12-2007

To much of this type of thing happens on the internet. That is why I NEVER use paypal or a credit card or anything like that to buy stuff online. Your info is never safe, especially when it comes to accessing your money. If I cannot buy it at a real store, I do not buy it.
Old 02-12-2007
****Gold-Level**** Paid Account

Send a message via Yahoo to vanessalynn5484
Thumbs up Topic: beware-->service@paypal.com

Thanks for the warning!

Thanks for the warning and getting the message out there. I am pretty sure no business would ask for personal information in an e-mail due to fraud. Online shopping is pretty safe, I would say Paypal is safer than giving your credit card to a waiter at a restaurant. Paypal's business relies on keeping it's customer's information safe. I heard somewhere that most identity theft occurs by obtaining discarded credit card bills or other pieces of sensitive mail that has been thrown out.

Old 02-12-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I've seen the same email come to me before as well. I'd say it is definitely a scam, but Paypal itself has never steered me wrong either.
Old 02-12-2007

Paypal always states that they will never ask for any personal information through email...thats a sure way to know its NOT from them.

If you put your mouse pointer over the hyperlink, look at the bottom of outlook express, it will show the actual redirected URL(and I bet it doesn't begin with www.paypal.com...)

its easy to do, a simple line of code like this:
Quote:
< a h r e f = "h t t p://i_am_gonna_steal_your_info.com/gimmeyourinfo" > h t t p ://w w w.paypal.com/login.php< / a >
So it appears to be a valid link, but its actually a redirection to the fake site...nasty, eh?

Last edited by paak; 02-12-2007 at 09:33 PM..
Old 02-12-2007

I get these paypal emails all the time in my gmail account :P
They go directly to my spam folder.
Old 02-13-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

these guys where not using a simple line of code like you say paak but simply a free domain that had paypal name in the middle of it from free domain company like Noip.com.
And i just posted this to help out the new people that love paypal but don't know the dangers around it .
Don't take me wrong ,,,paypal itself is very secure , it's the ppl lurking around it with spam email and all and customers that trust their email too much .
Oh and one more thing paypal alway send email trough service@intl.paypal.com

Last edited by once4u; 02-13-2007 at 07:39 AM..
Old 02-13-2007

I Know people who've never delt with paypal let alone set up an account that have gotten these emails.

Emails from EBay and Paypal will always address you by NAME!
In there security center it tells you to ALWAYS access the site by typing there address into the address bar and never to click on a link to them in an email!

Even when I buy something from ebay I never use the link sent by email. Ilog into the site and pay it from there. Been using paypal for at least 4 years and never had a single problem!
Old 02-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dave View Post
To much of this type of thing happens on the internet. That is why I NEVER use paypal or a credit card or anything like that to buy stuff online. Your info is never safe, especially when it comes to accessing your money. If I cannot buy it at a real store, I do not buy it.
Jeeze, good luck with that.

I buy & sell A LOT online, I use credit cards and paypal exclusively. Like anything else, you have to be careful. After 6 years of online transactions, I have never, ever been "scammed". I have a credit card capped at $500 that I use exclusively for online transactions, and my paypal account is linked to that credit card only.

Dave, your info is never safe anywhere if you don't use common sense and watch out for scams. Giving your credit card # over the phone is riskier than giving it online, and A LOT more people do that and suffer the consequences.
Old 02-13-2007

I have gotten emails like this, and I dont even have a paypal account. I have also gotten emails from "ebay" saying if I don't send money right away, my order will not be shipped.....I have NEVER bought anything off ebay, nor am I a registered user.
Old 02-13-2007

As far as safety with credit cards are concerned, I'd be more worried about commercial retailers today.

Look at Winners Home Scene. They just had a MAJOR breach. And neglected to tell anyone about it!

Shopping online is no more dangerous than that. I’ve been doing it for years. Never had a problem. I take precautions. Most credit card companies now have online buyer protection.
Old 02-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
As far as safety with credit cards are concerned, I'd be more worried about commercial retailers today.

Look at Winners Home Scene. They just had a MAJOR breach. And neglected to tell anyone about it!

Shopping online is no more dangerous than that. I’ve been doing it for years. Never had a problem. I take precautions. Most credit card companies now have online buyer protection.

Exactly. Use common sense and protect yourself. My father just bought a 21 year old sports car in Virginia, without ever seeing the car in person. We had it thoroughly checked out by local enthusiasts and an independant garage, who reported any issues.

You just have to use common sense. If that's a barrier for you, then yeah... shopping online might not be a great idea.
Old 02-13-2007

sent them to spoof@ebay.com
they will backtrack and shut the offending senders down..but then for 5.oo someoen else outs one up again..
it is a hack job. dont click on links.