I may already have won 1,000,000$ General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-10-2007
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

Default Topic: I may already have won 1,000,000$

I may already have won 1,000,000$

I just moved here. How do these people get your name and address? The only things with my name and address on it are my power bill, phone bill-aliant, Internet bill- rogers, Credit card- bmo, credit card- canadian tire and Statement- bmo. Are one of these companies selling my name and address?
Old 02-10-2007

Unless you have a stalker who want's to give you a million bucks, I would say yes.
Old 02-10-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Thumbs down Topic: I may already have won 1,000,000$

Hmmm...

Friend has the same problem...
and the only thing new that she signed up for was Aliant land phone!!!
She gets telemarketers and postal mail like crazy!!!
Unfortunately her name and address are in the phone book, so that explains it.
Old 02-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYetMom View Post
Friend has the same problem...
and the only thing new that she signed up for was Aliant land phone!!!
She gets telemarketers and postal mail like crazy!!!
Unfortunately her name and address are in the phone book, so that explains it.
My name and address isn't in the phone book though. or its not suppose to be anyway. Another cool event that happends is someone calling me shortly after I got the phone asking me if I wanted a capital one card.
Old 02-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
Unless you have a stalker who want's to give you a million bucks, I would say yes.
I think I have to win the million first then the stalkers come. I guess I wouldn't mind if they are female stalkers (joke, kind of)
Old 02-10-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

aliant sells your name they did to mine nothing is true
Old 02-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins#1 View Post
aliant sells your name they did to mine nothing is true
What do you mean nothing is true?
Old 02-10-2007

about winning a million dollars you usually have to buy something to get in a draw
Old 02-10-2007

It is your credit cards. Your address and phone number is on your credit report as well as the companies also have it. Nothing is private anymore. Anyone can get that information. It is crazy.
Old 02-10-2007

we just moved this past summer and started getting all kinds of junk mail rigth after. we weren't getting junk mail at the old address so i don't think aliant or any of the utilities were selling info.
the only new outfit that had my new address was the moving company....i wonder if it was them?
Old 02-10-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

sometimes it depends where you move to.
companies target high probability areas, or high population areas
Old 02-10-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Name Selling

Alll companies in which ou give your name and number to sell your name - UNLESS you request specifically NOT to have it sold. I would call all your companies and let them know that all your info is to remain for their use only. Some also use Phone Book calling. So if it is their you may want to have it removed. As for Capital One - I would call Capital One directly and ask them to remove your name from thier calling list. You will continue to get calls - eventually same day calls. It is annoying!! There are several companies who call on behalf of Capital One (which is why it is not benifical to just ask them when they call - you have to call them!!)

I would also try and aviod sending info over the internet. Like when you receive the 'petition' email. Asking you to sign and sometimes provide address/number for goverment purposes!! All it is is marketers looking for infor and active email addresses!!!

Have a great day!!!!
Old 02-10-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

funny thing

My husband keeps getting these letters like that in the mail too. The other day I opened one up and it said he won 4 million. It came with a check too, I was soooo excited when I seen the check, I did not notice the tiny print that said, "void-sample only", until after I phoned my husband, sister and mom. lol!!! Now it's just a family joke, they'll never ever let me forget...
Old 02-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins#1 View Post
about winning a million dollars you usually have to buy something to get in a draw
I recieved that stupid ripoff publishers clearing house dealy. I think that is what it is called.
Old 02-11-2007

There are lots of online directories where your name gets populated if you have a listed telephone number, like http://www.canada411.ca/ , and I believe those listings are updated quickly when you move.
Old 02-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by janegirl View Post
My husband keeps getting these letters like that in the mail too. The other day I opened one up and it said he won 4 million. It came with a check too, I was soooo excited when I seen the check, I did not notice the tiny print that said, "void-sample only", until after I phoned my husband, sister and mom. lol!!! Now it's just a family joke, they'll never ever let me forget...
omg thats funny. If by some chance I ever meet you i'm going to say" remember the day you got that package and you thought it was a cheque......"
Old 02-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdy View Post
There are lots of online directories where your name gets populated if you have a listed telephone number, like http://www.canada411.ca/ , and I believe those listings are updated quickly when you move.
I'm unlisted. Suppose to be anyway
Old 02-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragon View Post
My name and address isn't in the phone book though. or its not suppose to be anyway. Another cool event that happends is someone calling me shortly after I got the phone asking me if I wanted a capital one card.
my boyfriend's mother's phone number isnt supposed to be listed, but it is in the phonebook, but when she calls someone it comes up private... you should check your phonebook.... you never know
Old 02-12-2007

I was at a family dinner and brought my cell phone in case of emergencies, and in the middle of dinner I got a call from someone asking for me under my maiden name. They then went into a speal (without me confirming it was me) and told me about this great deal from capital one. I had to cut them off and tell them that no one by that name was available at this number (after all i HAD changed my name) and hung up. 10 mins later I got ANOTHER call asking for my married name, but they mispronounced my last name, and I then told them (again had to cut them off) that if they couldn't pronounce my name properly then I didn't know them and had no interest in talking to them. and this was my CELL phone. Thand God for caller ID. It's nothing for us to get 4-5 telemarketing calls per day. it's insane. and our number is relatively new. we did the whole thing about telling our credit card companies that our information was not to be sold..the whole she-bang. We've not applied for anything new, so NO idea how they are getting our name and numberS.