Rant General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-09-2007

Angry Topic: Rant

Rant

ok i have been posting items on this board for MONTHS
The same items
baby clothes
women's clothes
men's shirts
I've had a LOT of interested ppl and a lot of ppl sending me private messeges to the extent of wanting to know Where am i located so they can come get them/look at them. I tell these ppl and i even supply a map (i live in saint john and i'm not out of the way or anything) But then i get no replys or anything stating they don't want the items. I am just ranting here because it's happened SOOOOOOOOO many times over the last few months. i DON'T live in a bad neighbourhood so it's not because they are afraid to come here. It's really driving me nuts. It doesn't make sense, and if it were me, and i said i wanted the items but then decided i didn't, i would at least tell the person. Especially because sometimes i get someone saying they will come get them, and then someone else wants them as well but i can't say yes to both. But then the original person doesn't get back to me and i lost the interest of the second person in the process. It's ridiculous.
I would like to get rid of this stuff and i'd like to get a few bucks for them but after all this hassel i'm about to just give them to charity (not that that is a bad thing, i just would have liked to get some extra money is all.) oh well
Anyone else get this hassle? it's so frustrating!
- Deb
Old 02-09-2007

Default Topic: Rant

yup. And what i've decided to do about it is start leaving feedback. I won't be nasty but as suggested to me earlier...i'm going to say something like won't deal with again...or along those lines. Your definately not alone.

ETA: I also wanted to add that for every inconsiderate person on here...there are 5 that are great!
Old 02-09-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

i've had the same person TWICE in 2 days not come recently , and before i had made a time to go to someons house to look @ something , they didnt answer the door or their phone!
Old 02-09-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I've run into the same problem. I will hold the item until the end of the day and if I don't hear back or they are a no show, I contact the other ppl that are interested. They are a few regulars that I don't mind holding things for even if it's for a week, because I know they are true to their word or have the consideration to call or pm and let you know if they are running late or have to make alternate arrangements. So, to my regulars on isaintjohn : Thank you!
Old 02-09-2007

Something that works well for me:

When I get emails asking where, can they come over, etc. I respond back to everyone in group email of a time and where to come see the items. That way if they are really interested they will come at your specified time. You aren't left sitting around etc. Kind of like a one time open house to view the items.

I started doing this after waiting around and no one showed, emailed, or called.

It has been very effective for me.
Old 02-09-2007

i also have had that problem. i don't live in the city so i try to be a nice and meet at a location uptown. i have had good experiences and bad. luckily for me they are balancing each other at this point.
Old 02-09-2007

I had a woman tell me to come to her house all the way in french Village to pick something up for a friend of mine who wanted the item. Had her come to my house we waited all night for a reply as to if it was ok to come as she told me after 6 30. Still no reply, the next day nothing, finally the 3rd day i see her her write on the post that the item is gone. BUT she told me i could have it even gave me directions and told me to come anytime after 6 30 now thats quite a drive from where i am so i was RATHER pissed as my friend was really looking forward to this item. Then i emailed her to see if it was gone for sure and why she didnt email me back ...as its just kind and respectful and the son of a gun still hasnt replied. Makes me mad...So woman if your reading this...your disrespectful lol thats my gripe
Old 02-09-2007

If I have a person say they're interested, I don't put stalk into it. If they say they want it or are going to come to get it and don't, that's just plain ignorant.
I find selling on here is usually more hassle then it's worth, I donated thousands of dollars of stuff since I got married to the Salvation Army (And gave some away on a newsgroup I read) I just donate it to them, it's a lot easier. My life is busy enough, I don't have time for the "I'll pick it up" and not show up thing. I'll sell my computer parts on here mostly, sold some baby stuff but that's mostly it.
Old 02-09-2007

Angry Topic: Rant

Yes I have had people say they want stuff but do not reply back to your PM's or don't come back on ISJ for days, or weeks...leaving you hanging! I really hate that. I also get really annoyed when people don't post pictures right in the thread if they have them available. You would think this would be so much easier on the person to post their pictures once rather then having to send out several emails to different people requesting them. I just find it annoying having to ask all the time please send pictures...IT'S SIMPLE: If you have pictures Just post them right in your ad!! it's not that hard to do! And if your not sure how to do it just ask, I'm sure someone will help you out. It just saves some time having to email that person to send pictures, then wait hrs or days for them to send them ect...

Anyways that's just my 2 pennies...

Last edited by james1979; 02-09-2007 at 05:50 PM..
Old 02-09-2007

Hmmmmm that was more like 4 pennies worth James lol..sry couldn't resist
Old 02-09-2007

LMAO!!

* Yeah, I normally don't get into discussions here on ISJ but this is one that I couldn't resist, as I find it very annoying! Just trying to get more people to post their pictures in their ads is all ...

--

Old 02-09-2007

Wow, thanks everyone for posting and letting me know I'm not the ony one going through this crap lol.

About the picture thing.. i haven't bought anything off here as of yet, but when i'm looking, if a thread doesn't have a pic i don't even bother lol.
At first i was posting links to the pics of the items (not a whole lot of items) and i still got ppl replying.. where can i see the pics? I was like, are you an idiot. They are right there! So i did start putting in the actual img code so the pics showed up and they didn't have to do a thing to see them lol.

I NOW have finally learned my lesson not to trust some of the ppl on isaint john.
I must say that i did sell to one woman who was very nice and i do thank her for that! lol

-Deb
Old 02-09-2007

I have only used this in the last few months, but feel the same way, if you say you are coming then come! I think leaving FEEDBACK is the best way. People might think twice about what they tell you if they think they will be reported on
Old 02-09-2007

Thumbs up Topic: Rant

Your not Alone

I've had the same issues,late. no show or next week, or can you wait until next payday..
If I'm Giving it away --well get over here & get it--
Now I give my Ph # then address when they call & set up a time.. I've met people 1/2 way also, Actually on 3 occasions I've wanted an item in Grandbay & they happened to be coming to town the next day or two oor vice versa. I'd let them pick a time & a place.. But we always had each others contact numbers and confirmed with each other of the upcoming meeting time & place.

Even if people happen to be heading to town if they call a head of time I can usually be home in order to meet them. and give good directions,with key locations.

I've Held more items thats people really wanted,, then ended up giving them to the next person that came by.. Even if it was for something else..

All I'd like to say is Yup I like the pictures as much as anyone.. (thats a good point)

As a rule Now I write down Times, dates, names & phone numbers address & item Ive called about to see.. I've lost a few when the boards have been down --and lost out.
then when i'm heading out, I have my little piece of paper & away I go,,--if its a good day

I don't care for mentioning names in public ..but I'll warn others in private, good & bad meetings We all have BAd days--or days we can't move or get out of bed,.. or lounge around in jammiepants... Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt..
but CONFIRM confirm confirm meeting dates & times ....Not oh sometime on Friday or on the weekend.. Make it Exact with in 1/2 --like 6-6:30,, and try to be there at 6 or a little before.. I try I dont always get there exactly..but never more than 10 or 15 minutes..on eitherside..,..and if I'm running a few minutes late I'll call---or something comes up beforehand- call and cancel for another more suitable time for the both parties..--

so okay more than a few pennies worth of comments.,, but hey I was nice --Happy buying & selling, giving & receiving--
Thanks