how does an american become canadian? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 02-08-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: how does an american become canadian?

how does an american become canadian?

can an american come to canada to live and work or does it take a million things to be able to do so
Old 02-08-2007

yes, my friend married an american 3.5 years ago, and he just last week got his permanant residency, and took him 2 years to get his SIN number before he could work here. it will likely be another year before he gets his canadian citizenship.

It was a real pain in the but for them, and VERY expensive.
Old 02-08-2007

yeah and its probably different now , and more expensive
Old 02-08-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

If it is anything like Canadians working in the US, it depends on what job you do-if your training or career is for a job that they deem to be in a shortage situation, they will take you asap. A few years ago I applied to teach in the US and I had my H1B visa within 2 months. I ended up not going, but that was another story. Also if you are in an industry where it is deemed valuable to have multicultural employees, like hospitality, you can work. It takes a couple of months for them to get their work visa, but working in the hotel industry as I do, I have worked with people from China, Japan, Belgium, England, U.A.E, Phillipines etc, all of whom were not citizens. Transferring within a multinational company is also another way to go-I could transfer to a management position at a "sister" hotel property in the USA or Europe with minimal effort, if it can be shown that my value to the company is real.

Last edited by trinity; 02-08-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Old 02-08-2007
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

find a canadian to marry him. Then when he is a canadian, divorse him and take half his crap
Old 02-08-2007

how long does it take after u marry them for them to be canadian? 3 1/2 years is to long they want to come here to live and work they are sick of the american ways
Old 02-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvz_ya View Post
how long does it take after u marry them for them to be canadian? 3 1/2 years is to long they want to come here to live and work they are sick of the american ways
I don't blame them. Unfortunately though, it is a rather long process. Best of luck to your friend!
Old 02-08-2007

A permanent resident needs to be residing in Canada for 3 years before applying for citizenship, and then it will take some period of time before taking the citizenship test and oath. So 4 years is likely.
Old 02-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdy View Post
A permanent resident needs to be residing in Canada for 3 years before applying for citizenship, and then it will take some period of time before taking the citizenship test and oath. So 4 years is likely.

so they cant even work here until then?
Old 02-08-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

This might help

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html
Old 02-08-2007

thank you
Old 02-08-2007

You're welcome
Old 02-09-2007
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

I have tried in the past to get an ex girlfriend in and even though she was the mother of my child they turned her down twice. My daughter no problem at all to get citizenship. The lady at immigration told me had we been married she would get citizenship no problem. That was back in 2004 I think so things may have changed.
Old 02-09-2007

Maybe marriage is the easiest way in
Old 02-12-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Im american, married to a canadian i just went last tuesday for my medical. I still have to finish the paper work and mail it off i soo hope it dont take 3.5 yrs to get everything done. I miss haveing a job, i have already been here off and on over a yr. So i cant wait!!

BTW there is a thing you can apply for the province you wanna live(Provinaial Nominations) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/provnom/index.html
Old 02-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_sweetheart View Post
Im american, married to a canadian i just went last tuesday for my medical. I still have to finish the paper work and mail it off i soo hope it dont take 3.5 yrs to get everything done. I miss haveing a job, i have already been here off and on over a yr. So i cant wait!!

BTW there is a thing you can apply for the province you wanna live(Provinaial Nominations) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/provnom/index.html
Welcome to Canada
Old 02-13-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Man View Post
Welcome to Canada

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!