It's Been Very Cold, What Do You Heat Your Home With?? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 01-26-2007

Question Topic: It's Been Very Cold, What Do You Heat Your Home With??

It's Been Very Cold, What Do You Heat Your Home With??

A lovely Cold Snap we have and Since the recent discussion on the "heating rebate"
I thought it would be fun to see what People actually HEAT their homes with,.. we have so many choices these days--regardless if its included in your Hydro Bill we still have to pay someone ---

We Burn Wood as Primary(I'm always cold ) and Electric Baseboard much as a backup- when I feel lazy,(unless the power should fail )

What Do you heat with?
Old 01-26-2007

Location: RIP alex march 1969-august 2007, always missing you little brother-RIP china.
Default Topic: It's Been Very Cold, What Do You Heat Your Home With??

electric heat, usualy runs us 350$ a month during the winter so this winter we are trying out one of those electric fireplaces. heats the rooms better then the electric baseboard heaters we have.
Old 01-26-2007

We burn wood for our source of heat , so that makes our heating bill all paid for the winter when we buy the wood. Wood heat is warmer and lasts longer than oil or electric.

I been looking at those elec fireplaces and can't see where they would be any cheaper to use , they must drive the hydro bill up don't they?
Old 01-26-2007

woofer -how does it seem to be working?give good heat? I've seen them, (& giggle, cause I'd try to cram a log in there)- but if you want the look and can't run a stove thats a good alternative and decorative too-
p.s ~ still waiting for a pic
Old 01-26-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
electric heat, usualy runs us 350$ a month during the winter so this winter we are trying out one of those electric fireplaces. heats the rooms better then the electric baseboard heaters we have.

We are doing the same electric heat ($300.00/month) and the electric fireplace .

Old 01-26-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Thumbs up Topic: It's Been Very Cold, What Do You Heat Your Home With??

We burn wood, I love the heat!! I also turn on the electric if hubbys not home and i am too lazy to get the fire started. LOL
Wood gives a nice steady heat. Burn baby Burn!!!
Old 01-26-2007

Location: RIP alex march 1969-august 2007, always missing you little brother-RIP china.

i found last month running the electric fireplace over 8 hours a day 7 days a week our bill was only 33$ more then the month before.
Old 01-26-2007

We use electric for heat, propane for our stove and hot water and have a woodstove and propane fireplace downstairs (we don't use them, but it's nice to have as a backup).
Old 01-26-2007

We burn wood as primary and have electric as a backup (have not used it in over 4 years tho).We have a mama bear stove that will take a 24" log so it never gets cold in here!!.PS, my house is round..walls are a foot thick so very easy to heat.
Old 01-26-2007

I rent and my heat is electric hot water baseboard. we also have a oil filled electric heater that we keep central in our apartment that we run constant on cold days like this. My bill in the winter is about 220.00
Old 01-26-2007

Oh no not another heating thread!!! I have an apartment - it's electric heat. I wish I had a fire place. I'd sit in front of it forever!!! (well at least during winter)
Old 01-26-2007

My house is heated by oil..I use quite a bit..i keep it set at 20-25 at all times..I just paid $425 on jan 14th..for about half a barrel..And that only last from dec22..I get it topped off every couple weeks..Also my hot water runs off of this as well..
Old 01-27-2007

Oil.hot water baseboard....and the oil bill is prolly aorund 200 a month at least
Old 01-27-2007

Electric baseboard and my hyro bill is about $250/month in the winter.
Old 01-27-2007

Electric here...

I rent, and have electric baseboards. My bill last month was 175.00, that's heat and lights. I can never seem to get the place to heat up though! No problem in the bedrooms, but I find my livingroom is always cold, no matter how high I turn the heat up!

s
Old 01-27-2007

i use oil,and we have an electric fireplace for the upstairs bathroom that is really really cold, we pay 140 a month for oil for 12 months and the fireplace adds about 20 to the electric bill
Old 01-27-2007

Wow! I have a mini home. I thought (acutally my husband thought) it was expensive to heat it. We only spend about 180 a month in the winter time for electric heat and hot water.
Old 01-27-2007

Electric and solar
Old 01-27-2007

hey puppyluv, how much is your energy out of curiousity? YOu know we live in your neighborhood and always thought we were being ripped off.
We pay $181 a month in equalized billing for hot water oil and oil fired hot water heater (soon to go up becasue our yearly reconciliation is January and now I owe another $350)
AND at least $60 a month on electricity..and thats not even including the hot water! Power bill seems a little high to me.
Old 01-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartersmom View Post
hey puppyluv, how much is your energy out of curiousity? YOu know we live in your neighborhood and always thought we were being ripped off.
We pay $181 a month in equalized billing for hot water oil and oil fired hot water heater (soon to go up becasue our yearly reconciliation is January and now I owe another $350)
AND at least $60 a month on electricity..and thats not even including the hot water! Power bill seems a little high to me.
Hm, I think it is always under 100..usually I think around 80 or 90...but our washer and dryer is running pretty much every night