Tasers..Yes or No ? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 12-06-2006

Thumbs up Topic: Tasers..Yes or No ?

Tasers..Yes or No ?

New Brunswick's Chief Coroner Dianne Kelly has set a date for an inquest into the death of Kevin Geldart, 34, who died after Moncton police used a Taser gun on him in May 2005.

Should tasers be allowed, if yes..why?..if no...why?
Old 12-06-2006
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Tasers..Yes or No ?

yes.............they should..
but only in life/death sitation something really serious
the cops think its fun to use them they tazered my friend over nothing
i think the cops find it funny they over use their power of being a cop...
but thats my opinion most cops are grimey
Old 12-06-2006

yes, they usually don't have the finality of a bullet. When police are confronted with violent or non conforming people they need another avenue rather than having to get physical every time. Who wants to go to work every day with the possibility of getting into a fight. Tasers help remove some of that probability.

hiphop.........i hope you never need police assistance, but i'm betting if you did you would be one of the biggest whiners, wanting them to make things right for you.

Last edited by 6sixstring6; 12-06-2006 at 02:21 PM..
Old 12-06-2006

But what about them becoming used when not needed? They are after all police, trained in handling suspects and that is part of thier job. I have seen 4 officers and one suspect and they still tase him? Isn't that kind of excessive...

Last edited by daneast; 12-06-2006 at 02:27 PM..
Old 12-06-2006

Try being one of those police and try to subdue or handle some people who are hepped up on drugs or alcohol or even some people with mental handicapps who have a very high tolerance for pain and will keep resisting. It doesn't matter how many police there are, sometimes yopu need something other than brute force. Yes they are trained to handle these situations but if the taser will resolve the issue quicker, why not use it. If you are a law abiding person, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-06-2006

There is a case pending right now that was caught on a guys cell phone vid cam..4 officers, one guy hauled outside(he was not resisting) tased 3 times, then brought back into the building...
Old 12-06-2006
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

cops are idiots and thats it they act like they are the **** and better then everyone else and they can do what they want when they want its the way it is and its the way it will always be cops now a days are crooked!
Old 12-06-2006

Here is how I see it. You have someone being disruptive. In a world where various disease run like teenagers at the mall, Me personally wouldn't want to 'touch' the person. A Taser is a good way to keep yourself safe.

Maybe the 'chance' of death will stop people from resisting arrest. I'm all for em.
Old 12-06-2006

Excessive is the case going on in NY with the undercover cops spraying 3 guys in a car with 50 odd bullets. THAT"s Excessive.

As for the taser...i agree they need them. I'd rather be tasered than shot thank you.
Old 12-06-2006
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Anything that would allow the police to help stop criminals, I'm for it. I'm tired of worrying whenever I leave my house that I will come home to find it robbed.
Old 12-06-2006

Since 2001 of more than 50 people in North America died after suffering Taser shocks.

Look at it this way, your son or daughter, or sister or brother, goes out for a few drinks...has one too many...steps outside and someone picks a fight..the cops show up and think he or she started it and, where they are drunk,..they get tased..as a result he/she dies...
Old 12-06-2006

hiphop, rather than just making a lot of noise, please provide us with some examples that you have personal knowledge of (not something you heard or made up) to sustantiate your ramblings.

dan, you cite 50 deaths out of how many thousands of taserings? If you are going to give statistics, you have to tell the whole story. And please don't come back with one death is one too many. I'll repeat, if you are not doing anything to be tasered for then you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by 6sixstring6; 12-06-2006 at 03:04 PM..
Old 12-06-2006

most people who think ALL police are crooked are doing something illegal or have something to fear from them..
Old 12-06-2006

I get your point but you miss mine. It is under investigation because they tased the suspect 3 or more times after he is on the ground with 3 police on top of him and handcuffed..once the danger is gone..why continue to tase him?
Old 12-06-2006

good point daneast.

Last edited by 6sixstring6; 12-06-2006 at 03:41 PM..
Old 12-06-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneast View Post
Since 2001 of more than 50 people in North America died after suffering Taser shocks.

Look at it this way, your son or daughter, or sister or brother, goes out for a few drinks...has one too many...steps outside and someone picks a fight..the cops show up and think he or she started it and, where they are drunk,..they get tased..as a result he/she dies...
Replace picks a fight with gets in a car and drives. Kills themselves and someone else.

Are we going to make cars illegal?
Old 12-06-2006

Ok, so using alcohol was not a great example, and I agree there is a time for a taser, my point is it seems police are using them with excessive force ...tasing people even after they are down and out...if there is a slight risk of a heart attack etc..if you are tased, how much does that risk increase if you get tased 3 or 4 times..? As far as I can see, once tased your body siezes up and you drop allowing the police to handcuff you etc...no need to keep pulling the trigger. And if they are so safe, why doesn't walmart sell them..you can but a car..even a rifle..but not a taser.

Last edited by daneast; 12-06-2006 at 03:48 PM..
Old 12-06-2006

and walmart would sell them for what purpose?? a car you can legally drive, a rifle you can legally hunt with it. now a taser you can legally what with it??

try to find better analogys.
Old 12-06-2006

How about defend yourself...ever hear of mace..how many lives could have been, and would be saved, if the victim had a 50,000 volt taser in their purse or pocket? Try to find better replies....
Anyway, I was not saying there is not a need for tasers..just questioning how and when they should be used. Just because someone is disorderly a cop cannot shoot him in the foot(non lethal) so why is it they can tase him multiple times?

Last edited by daneast; 12-06-2006 at 04:24 PM..
Old 12-06-2006
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I agree with Daneast. Tasers should be used with due care and logic. For example, assess the perpetrator and use what force you think might be needed. Some people can be assessed as "fragile to tasers".

Everybody has to realize that cops are people too, and they could be hurt at any time on the job. A lot of the time, they ARE hurt during these confrontations...do you hear about it? no. Also, police are trained to use these tasers. They themselves are shocked with them. They know--or SHOULD know-- what it is like. They are also "shown" what pepperspray feels like.