Anyone here a Big Brother or Big Sister? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 01-03-2007

Default Topic: Anyone here a Big Brother or Big Sister?

Anyone here a Big Brother or Big Sister?

from the organization I mean.
I have been thinking about this for a long time and think I am finally ready to be a Big Sister.

Any advice, inforamtion, experiences etc would be very much welcomed!
Old 01-03-2007

i've been thinking about doing it recently too...

growing up my mom tried to get me and my lil bro into the program, we never got a match...
Old 01-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcb View Post
i've been thinking about doing it recently too...

growing up my mom tried to get me and my lil bro into the program, we never got a match...

that is sad no match...there are so many children that need homes, friends, guidance etc.

I would consider adopting an older child as well...everyone seems to want babies..and you see older children * 4 and up) growing up in a system
Old 01-03-2007

I know, I'd adopt older kids too... and if I'm ever able, I plan to, once we have our own and are settled into a place...
Old 01-05-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Hey guys, Where can I go to get my daughter a Big sister??? Where we live now, the kids look at her as an outsider and don't want to play with her because we just moved here last feb. I love my angel but I can only spend so much time with her and she really needs a friend. Any information would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Vix
Old 01-05-2007

I believe the child's parents have to be divorced or seperated for the child to qualify for that program. Well they used to anyways, is it still the same?
Old 01-05-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I worked as a day camp counsellor there a few years ago and I loved it. So many kids are in need of a Big Brother or Big Sister. I think it's a great program to have and encourage any one interested to atleast gather information.

http://www.bigbrothersbigsisters.ca/...e/default.aspx
Old 01-05-2007

great idea..now my daughters are pretty well grown ( 18 and 19), this may be the perfect time to be big brother.
Old 01-06-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Hey puppyluv! I used to be a "big sister" before I had my own kids. It was alot of fun and very rewarding. You can pick what age child you'd like to help. Normally you would get together for a few hours a week. Go for lunch, movie, do crafts, etc. Lots of fun. My "little sister" moved away, so sadly I haven't seen her since. I know how great you are with kids (at least mine!), so you'd be a perfect "big sister'. Hope it all works out.

M.
Old 01-10-2007

I hope all of you who say you want to do get to go and do it. I don't know a lot about it but I think my nephew needs a big brother. He is the only MAN in our family except my BF and with his own 2 kids my BF just doesn't have the time. His dad is not around (long story) and he needs a male influence to teach him guy stuff like hockey and baseball and stuff like that. I'm going to have my sister look into for him
Old 01-11-2007

djchopper,
I have to get over my Mom 1st, but I WILL be a Big Sister...of that I can promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchopper6969 View Post
I hope all of you who say you want to do get to go and do it. I don't know a lot about it but I think my nephew needs a big brother. He is the only MAN in our family except my BF and with his own 2 kids my BF just doesn't have the time. His dad is not around (long story) and he needs a male influence to teach him guy stuff like hockey and baseball and stuff like that. I'm going to have my sister look into for him
Old 01-14-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Working with the Big Brother's Big Sisters will go a long way towards helping cope withthe tragic loss of your Mother. While nothing can ever replace a loved one, think of all of the good you will be doing for children who may not understand the closeness of a family as you have. You can speak with someone at the Saint John Volunteer Center (open M-F from 10am - 3pm, located across from St. Joseph's hospital), and they will help you register. It will probably take a couple of weeks for them to contact you. I can't relate to losing a parent, the closest I can come is being recently legally separated from my husband. I spent the past few months hiding in my basement licking my wounds and not really getting better, so I decided to do something. I just recently registered with the volunteer center as well. I have worked with Big Brothers / Big Sisters through the Kids-n-Kops program and the benefit is immeasurable.

Good luck to you, puppyluv. I hope you register sooner rather than later. It will do you and your 'little sister' a world of good.

A