Ever wonder about take out food? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 12-27-2006

Default Topic: Ever wonder about take out food?

Ever wonder about take out food?

I have often wondered that . We don't know what goes on in the kitchen out back. I myself prefer to buy my food from a place where I can see it being prepared.
Old 12-27-2006

You must eat at fast food a lot though. Most 'fancy' places don't have a view of the kitchen.
Old 12-27-2006

Well for starters I don't eat fast food a lot .But when I do I like to see it being prepared.

As for fancy places , well I don't go because they are too expensive for my liking and some are so dark you can't see what you're eating. I don't find them comfortable.

And I don't need to be seated, I know how to walk to a chair and sit myself down .
Old 12-27-2006
New Member (< 10 posts)

Seeing the reality tv show "The Restaurant" is enough to scare anyone away from what goes behind the scenes even in fancy, expensive restaurants

From things I've read, it seems that kind of grossness and craziness is not uncommon.
Old 12-28-2006
Member (< 100 posts)

I used to work at a fast food restaurant, and to be honest, it depends on the standards of the management working at the time. Being lower level management myself, I made sure that everything was how it was supposed to be. I am very fussy about my customer service as well as food prep. There is a certain restaurant over east that I will NEVER AGAIN eat at. I worked there for one shift, and I was disgusted. And one more thing...kinda in the topic..but kinda off the topic..people who dis people who work fast food...it's hard work...trust me...there is a lot to remember and a lot on the line if you forget something.
Old 12-28-2006
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

You know, worrying this much about it will probably kill you faster than eating it, and at the very least spoil your enjoyment of the food items in question. :-)
These places would not stay in business if people kept getting sick from eating there. I prefer places where I CAN"T see the kitchen, I go to restaurants to FORGET about cooking and mess, not to watch master broilerpersons in action racking up more dirty dishes than I see in a week.

(FYI, that is an outdated reference to what they used to call the 17 yr olds who cooked your steak at Ponderosa-the sign on the wall would read "Master Broilerperson" and below a nameplate for the shift.)
Old 12-28-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemme_LQQK View Post
Well for starters I don't eat fast food a lot .But when I do I like to see it being prepared.

As for fancy places , well I don't go because they are too expensive for my liking and some are so dark you can't see what you're eating. I don't find them comfortable.

And I don't need to be seated, I know how to walk to a chair and sit myself down .
Then eating in general isn't for you.

Do you see the food being made that is in cans? in boxes? All at the grocery store. Doubtfully.

I'm a tad confused on what this thread is trying to get at. Are you trying to get restaurants to show their kitchens or are you just picky?
Old 12-28-2006
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
You know, worrying this much about it will probably kill you faster than eating it, and at the very least spoil your enjoyment of the food items in question. :-)
These places would not stay in business if people kept getting sick from eating there. I prefer places where I CAN"T see the kitchen, I go to restaurants to FORGET about cooking and mess, not to watch master broilerpersons in action racking up more dirty dishes than I see in a week.

(FYI, that is an outdated reference to what they used to call the 17 yr olds who cooked your steak at Ponderosa-the sign on the wall would read "Master Broilerperson" and below a nameplate for the shift.)
Wells said. If were going to worry about every single thing then everyone live in a bubble.
Old 12-29-2006

Well Kaj u have a good point , I have often wondered about packaged food , but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thots as I. I am not a picky person by any means, but over the years I have seen some things that turned my stomach, I have worked in an eatery and yes it is very hard and demanding work , they don't pay anywhere near enough to the people that work it.

You said " I'm a tad confused on what this thread is trying to get at. " Maybe you didn't read it all the way through , it was only 2 lines long...lol looks pretty straight forward enuff to me.

98 % of the foods that I cook are prepared fresh not from a box/bag/or can and I wash everything before I use it. Yes it sounds like I am different , maybe I am , but we are a somewhat old fashion home cooking family that eat left overs...lolol

Anyway just thot I'd ask ........
Old 12-29-2006
Member (100 to 500 posts)

You wouldnt be so worried about fast food if you realized how much pesticide they spray on EVERYTHING in the back of the grocery stores. Theyre more concerned with rodents and bugs than poisoning all the food.
Old 12-30-2006

That's why I wash what I buy.