Which Browser do you use? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

View Poll Results: Which browser do you use?
Firefox (any version) 42 36.84%
Internet Explorer (any version) 60 52.63%
Netscape Navigator (any version) 1 0.88%
Other (please post) 11 9.65%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2007

Default Topic: Which Browser do you use?

Which Browser do you use?

I'm not trying to create a bashing thread from browser type to browser type, but I've been taking some looks at the difference in ISJ's appearence between Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Statistics show that in March of 2007, 31.8% of users used firefox. But a lot of people on IE can be beginner users that don't know there are other options. So I was wondering what percentage of US use IE, Firefox, or other...
Old 04-25-2007

I use Firefox but it crashes on some sites stupid like that I'm sure new versions will fix it.
Old 04-25-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessalynn5484 View Post
I use Firefox 2.0.0.3 I love it and have never had any problems. I find it runs smoother for me.
I hear ya. My roommate gets frustrated with the slow load time on IE but HE WONT USE FIREFOX. I myself have some issues with a few sites that are not enabled for firefox, I can't view my Aliant bill for example anywhere but IE, so once a month I have to USE, view my bill and pay it.
Old 04-26-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Firefox

I use Firefox almost exclusively. Only time I use IE is when the site I go to specifies IE. Firefox has so many extensions and ad-ons so you can customize it to your own preference
Old 04-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
I hear ya. My roommate gets frustrated with the slow load time on IE but HE WONT USE FIREFOX. I myself have some issues with a few sites that are not enabled for firefox, I can't view my Aliant bill for example anywhere but IE, so once a month I have to USE, view my bill and pay it.
It sucks that some sites bother to be browser specific. Besides IE theres a number of good choices. Opera by Linux is a good one also. Of course I use that browser on my Wii
Old 04-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawango View Post
I use Firefox almost exclusively. Only time I use IE is when the site I go to specifies IE. Firefox has so many extensions and ad-ons so you can customize it to your own preference
Go to extensions and get the IE tab extension. If you go to a site in Firefox and it doesn't display right then right click and click on view in IE tab.

You can also set it to load this page in an IE tab anytime you go to it!
Old 04-26-2007

Talking Topic: Which Browser do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
I use fiefox exclusively, never had a problem, and I can view my Aliant bill online with ease...I basically went to fiefox after watching the show "Call for Help" in which they were pointing out all the security holes and added non-necessary things loaded into IE. BUT everyone has their preference.
Old 05-03-2007

IE

i use internet explorer myself, but honestly i prefer firefox, im just so used to using ie at work that i forget about it by the time i get home, at work were not enabled to use firefox for alot of necessary sites, well that an cyber surf lol
Old 05-03-2007

Smile Topic: Which Browser do you use?

Opera Browser

The main browsers that I use are:

Opera Browser 9.2 // www.opera.com
Firefox 2.0 // www.getfirefox.com
Safari 2.0 // www.apple.ca

There is IE6 and IE7, but those are not for me.

I use [Opera Browser 9.2] mainly on my Main computer which has a 20" Wide Screen LCD. Websites are very annoying on widescreen displays because they only use up 1/3-1/2 of the screen down the center. Opera Browser allows you to hold Ctrl+scroll to ZOOM in and out on the webpage. It fills up the x-plane so its much easier to read and you get the full use of your display area. The 2nd reason I use Opera Browser for is that it has built-in Mouse-Gesture support. For example, you can right click and move your mouse left or right to navigate BACK or FORWARD on a webpage. This becomes habit and a very smooth operation. The 3rd reason I use it is it has a FULL SCREEN mode that is REALLY full screen. The 4th reason is that it really is extremely fast. Goto the website if you want to learn more of the features. There are at least 5 more reasons to use it over IE6,7 or FireFox.

I use [Firefox 2.0] on my laptop and my Apple Macintosh computer. It, to me, is the default web browser, these days. I feel IE6 is dead and IE7 is going to loose out on users because of the long wait for an updated web browser from Microsoft and because of its probable security issues and immense size over the alternatives.
Firefox runs fast and smooth. 95% of websites are compatible with it and you get tabbed browsing. IE6 still doesn't and probably never will have native tabbed browsing, now that IE7 is out. Firefox is lacking mouse gestures and Zoom feature. I'm sure there are plugins for these features, but it looses points for not having those features built-in.

I rarely use Opera Browser on the laptop because I don't have a mouse hooked up to it, just the touchpad, so Ctrl+scroll to Zoom is not an option, mouse gestures are difficult on a touchpad, though you can do it and you can use the zoom feature by using various keyboard buttons. I do use it when viewing photos online, as you can use the Zoom feature to resize the image on the fly.

I use [Safari 2.0] on my Macintosh (obviously) on occasion. It's a great browser which is certainly superior to IE5,6,7, but I don't find myself using it, except by accident with some Apple programs. I have nothing bad to say about it, but just isn't for me when I know i can use FireFox or Opera on my Mac.

I use [IE6] at work because our acceptable use policy prevents us from using an alternate browser, though I think we actually can physically install the application, its not worth my job, so IE6 it is. IE7 has been banned company-wide where I work and its an International company. I've heard of many companies and gov't department banning IE7 and even Vista for security and compatibility issues.

I was a strong supporter of [Netscape Navigator] when I first started using the Internet at home (97+), but in the past few years, it has been strangled out by IE5,6 and now Mozilla FireFox has pretty much taken their market share and will hopefully continue to gain users who will defect from IE6/7 to FireFox.

Those are my opinions.

I would like to see that voting poll have more options, such as Safari and Opera. They are major players in the browser market, though many of you may not use them because your either not on a mac (Safari) or simply never dug far enough on the net for an alternate browser.

Cheers.

PS: On FireFox using my Laptop right now.

Andrew

Last edited by Freudian; 05-03-2007 at 11:02 PM..
Old 05-04-2007

This link will take you to global browser stats from 2002-2007

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
Old 06-10-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I use IE at work since we can't use anything else there. But at home, I'm all about Firefox. The latest version too is great! The best feature is that if my PC reboots in the middle of the night for an upgrade, when I reopen Firefox, it also reloads all the site tabs I had open at the time of the re-boot! I LOVE that! I've got my browser icons customized with little red cats (so cute) and have the smilies add-on.

Did I mention I love Firefox?
Old 07-04-2007

Camino, at home.
Old 07-04-2007

FireFox
Old 10-08-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Mozilla.
Old 10-08-2007

have to use IE at work, but I work for microsoft so of course! but i prefer firefox.
Old 10-25-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

We used to be able to access a copy of Firefox that someone in another department downloaded, but they clamped down on access to that drive. :-(
Old 10-29-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

I recently switched to SeaMonkey for home use.
Old 11-15-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

My IT guy here at work tried to tell me today that using IE's "Favorites" feature was just as good as tabbed browsing.

How is that the same thing at all?! That's not even comparing apples and oranges-- that's comparing apples and baseballs!

Tabbed browsing FTW!
Old 04-28-2008

browser

I use Safari on my imac and IE on my PC....
Old 04-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiT View Post
My IT guy here at work tried to tell me today that using IE's "Favorites" feature was just as good as tabbed browsing.

How is that the same thing at all?! That's not even comparing apples and oranges-- that's comparing apples and baseballs!

Tabbed browsing FTW!
You are aware that IE 7.0 has full tabbed browsing support right?