Police Scanner General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 04-05-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Police Scanner

Police Scanner

Anyone heard if the City is switching over to computer scanners in their Police Cars or using newer frequencies anytime soon?
Old 04-05-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Already done and has been for a month or so. They now have about a dozen of these computer units already in cars. More on the way,which is why you will soon see the public police scanners(Bearcats and such) drop down in price very soon in your local Stores !! - Rick.
Old 04-06-2007

Oh my , good luck to the fellow that has one in the Items Fore Sale section...hmmmmm
Old 04-06-2007

Just for the record folks, they do have computers in some of the cars, but the scanner is still as busy as ever, ask anybody who has one.
Old 04-06-2007

Yes it is as I just informed someone...BUT..you don't get the pertinent info anymore and soon even less. Such as names,address and such. Busy on messy road days with the accidents and all but other than that...??? This should help with the prices on these darn things coming down,hopefully. - Rick.
Old 04-06-2007
****Gold-Level**** Paid Account

Send a message via Yahoo to vanessalynn5484

My grandfather gave me a very old one, but I was babysitting and the little boy got all the dials messed up and I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe it is broken. It would be cool to get it hooked up again....if it even still works. I know nothing about them really....

Old 04-06-2007

Scanner

As a scanner junkie for over 20 years I was not impressed when I heard that our Saint John city police were switching over to the "Mobile Data Base" in car system. As bad as it sounds we will still get a lot of the calls, however stuff like checking licence plates, and running names may become a thing of the past. The only good thing is that these computers seem to go down quite a bit, so com-center still has to dispatch the calls over the air most times anyways. Also emergency priority calls like robberies and break and enters get put over the air via the emergency alarm system, so we will still hear those aswell. Most of the police officers now communicate from car to car using the computers also, so we won't hear alot of their conversations like we used too when they used to go to channel 6 to talk....hope this helps
Old 04-06-2007

As T-Diddy says, the in-car computers are down alot more than they are up, which will eventually be fixed im sure...but what I am trying to say Rickster, is as of right this very minute, I can hear names, license info, CNI info (CPIC), they will NEVER do completely away with the radio systems,....and right this second I just heard them conversing while doing a spot check, don't know where yet, but the woman in the Rav 4 just put her seatbelt on when she seen police car....LOL....they still work, and tonight is Friday night AND a holiday, it will sure to be busy. **PERSONAL NOTE** the more they come up with to stop us from hearing, the more things that will come out, that will let us in on it...

Also as the officers have been communicating with each other with the computers, no biggie..they have been doing this for years with cellphones.....nothing major lost..
Old 04-06-2007

Police Scanner

That is so true "Nosetothegrind"...we are still hearing alot. I can't see how police would be able to drive and watch their computer screens all the time. Also their out of their cars alot, so they would have to use their mobiles to communicate with each other and com-center.