im disgusted! General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 04-03-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: im disgusted!

im disgusted!

I had an incident with a skunk the other evening in my yard, the problem was that the poor little thing had his head trapped inside a McDonald's McFlurry cup, these cups have dome type lids on them so his little head was through the dome and inside the cup. needless to say he was wandering aimlessly about, bumping into curbs,dumpsters, he had no sense of direction whatsoever.
So myself and my friend decided we were going to save the little guy while we were trying to sneak up on him; i had my roomate call animal control. To my suprise and shock the response she got was... " why should i get outta bed to get sprayed by a skunk"
apparently that was the wrong place to phone, but he could have just stated the proper place to call. so about 45 minutes later my friend and I got the cup off the skunk's head, unfortunately the dome lid remained on it wouldnt come off. fortunately he didnt spray! PHEW!
I have been phoning places ever since trying to figure out why there isnt an animal rights division in NB. I have called Natural Resources, Anuimal Rescue League, Canadian Humane Society, Canadian Wildlife, Forest Rangers.... i have called them all, get this apparently our domesticated animals and wildlife fall under different laws... some fall under Federal,while others fall under Provincial..... this is absolutely the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. i wasnt aware that animals are now able to vote. last time i checked an animal, is an animal, and therefore has just as many rights to be here as any other animal domesticated or not.
i am now on a mission to see that McDonald's McFlurry dome lids are banned, as well as Tim Horton's Ice Cappuccino Lids. I dont think that there are any other companies that are using these types of lids, and if there are and someone knows of them , i would appreciate the info.
This isnt entirely over the skunk, but i like to think that if these places are willing to go back to normal lids, then not only are they decreasing harming wildlife,but domesticates as well. If a skunk can get his head in there then im sure a cat or small dog could also.
if anyone would like to help me, or has an ideas, i would really appreciate it. my pitch is that not only will these companies be stopping potential harm to animals,but they are also going to save themselves some money by sticking to regular old flat cup lids.
unfotunately we cant stop litterers from littering, but perhaps we can change what it is they are littering.
thanks for listening to my vents and thoughts!
Old 04-03-2007
****Gold-Level**** Paid Account

Send a message via Yahoo to vanessalynn5484
Talking Topic: im disgusted!

Hey Care...check this out
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2006/09/05/hedgehog.html

Old 04-03-2007

Next we are gonna have a save the Mosquitoes Group.

It's a flipping skunk. Ew.
Old 04-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by care1978 View Post
i am now on a mission to see that McDonald's McFlurry dome lids are banned, as well as Tim Horton's Ice Cappuccino Lids. I dont think that there are any other companies that are using these types of lids, and if there are and someone knows of them , i would appreciate the info.
Little too much time on your hands.Sounds like it was a freak "accident" to me
Old 04-03-2007

Read the article I posted...not such a freak accident.

Old 04-03-2007

apaprently all of you who are deciding i have a little too much time on my hands, are a bunch of ruthless idots who are obviously uneducated, and inhumane, i thought i clearly asked anyone who wanted to help to respond, i dont need responses from heartless individuals. maybe someday your pet will be in a similar situation, and you will look at things differently. i just cant get over how many inhumane people there are in this world. it is disgusting
Old 04-03-2007

Oh my, 'just a skunk' argh. the poor little guy. Good for you Care! I'm so glad you do care so much, he must have been horrified.
Old 04-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
Oh my, 'just a skunk' argh. the poor little guy. Good for you Care! I'm so glad you do care so much, he must have been horrified.
well good news is he never sprayed me!, i know how i wouold feel if that was my cat and no one tried to help it, it would have gotten ran over for sure, im hoping he got the dome off, im pretty sure he did. thanks Mandi!
Old 04-03-2007

very interesting article vanessalynn5484!
maybe i need to be speaking to the Brits, bc apparently new brunswick doesnt care about its wildlife, or at least it seems that way, they may be stinky, but they obviously have a purpose, or they wouldnt be here. an besides that they are really cute... smelly, but cute.
Old 04-03-2007

As soon as I read your post I thought of the Brits and the Hedgehogs....So I thought you may find that article helpful

Old 04-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessalynn5484 View Post
As soon as I read your post I thought of the Brits and the Hedgehogs....So I thought you may find that article helpful
i did thanks again!
Old 04-03-2007

NP

Old 04-03-2007

Care1978. Dont let those people who are saying "its just a skunk" deter you. When I lived in BC, on 3 seperate occasions i saw 3 skunks one with the stuff that comes on your beer cans around its neck. And he was stuck so bad it was a sin, I also saw one with a mcflurry cup on his head and one with a broken beer bottle. It is a sin. I will help you in anyway I can. No animal deserves that around their neck and the fact that someone said you have to much time on your hands makes me SICK. Actually I lied what makes me more sick is that the person who wrote that would prolly walk on buy if they witnessed that act or any other in regards to wildlife.
Good for you care keep on rocking
Old 04-03-2007

Don't those slurrpy cups have dome lids too? You know the one with flavoured shaved or crushed ice.
Old 04-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
Next we are gonna have a save the Mosquitoes Group.

It's a flipping skunk. Ew.
You are so sensitive. What if you saw a cute dog with a cup stuck to its head. Would you say its just a dog? The animals have been here longer then humans so its us that is causing them pain and destroying their forests. We should be lucky we can share this world with them as good as we do. Anyway we could all stop it from happening if we did not litter int he first place.
Old 04-03-2007

It's good that your going to be proactive about an issue. But can I ask a question? Is it the fault of the company or the fault of the consumer?
Old 04-03-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcb View Post
It's good that your going to be proactive about an issue. But can I ask a question? Is it the fault of the company or the fault of the consumer?
It's a mix of both. It's a problem when the consumer is throwing it out irresponsibly, but it would be great if the products were manufactured in a fashion that weren't of a dangerous nature. For example, if the lids were a hard pressed cardboard, they would decompose, and wouldn't be so strong that if something got caught in it that the animal couldn't get out.
Old 04-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
You are so sensitive. What if you saw a cute dog with a cup stuck to its head. Would you say its just a dog? The animals have been here longer then humans so its us that is causing them pain and destroying their forests. We should be lucky we can share this world with them as good as we do. Anyway we could all stop it from happening if we did not litter int he first place.
Now thats taking something way out of context.

Funny how this thread is named "I'm Disgusted"

I'm kinda disgusted that you would go up to a wild animal like that. That skunk could have had rabies, Good job endangering your life for a little animal. A injured or trapped animal is like a time bomb, You don't know what they are going to do or if they are going to snap.

But I guess to me that is common sense. You come first, Not lil skunks.
Old 04-03-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

slushies at corner stores have those lids as well.
Old 04-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcb View Post
If you'd read the innitial post,

unfotunately we cant stop litterers from littering, but perhaps we can change what it is they are littering.
thanks for listening to my vents and thoughts!

It's a sad thing, Clearly it's the consumer, but if the product weren't made then there's no real problem. The dome lids are unnessary any way.