Why is it so hard to become canadian ! General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 03-21-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Question Topic: Why is it so hard to become canadian !

Why is it so hard to become canadian !

why is it hard for an american to become canadian but i see other nationalities here and they have no problems , and all the sites on the internet just confuse me more is there any other way to become canadian with out marriage ?
Old 03-21-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Why is it so hard to become canadian !

I'm curious about that as well. Doesn't seem easy for Americans to immigrate here. It's a shame.
Old 03-21-2007

Yeah i know !! And especially when they have a pregnant girlfriend in canada!
Old 03-21-2007

Marrying someone does not guarantee that they will be allowed into Canada either. Check the immigration laws.
Old 03-21-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

This is the only site you should look at for definitive information : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

I don't think it is any harder for Americans to become Canadian immigrants or citizens, it takes a long time for anyone. Even when you see immigrants here, it usually means that they spent years to try and get here in the first place, and it'll be 4-5 years before they can change from immigrant to citizen. Sometimes groups are fast-tracked to immigration status because they are refugees or in some sort of danger, but then they get into the same citizenship process as far as I know. And that requires 3 years in the country, then applying for citizenship, a test, then approval.

I think the only context where Americans go through a different process, is that refugee status wouldn't be likely to be accepted.
Old 03-21-2007

But... if they cant legally stay longer then 6 months how can they live here 3 years ? it doesnt make sense !!!! nothing does i have called so many people and i get no wheres !!
Old 03-21-2007

Well, we're not quite in a Big Brother society where the government tracks the whereabouts of every person who comes across the border, and then works to toss them out when their visit was supposed to finish. In fact, you don't even register with the Canadian government when you're leaving Canada, so there is no real way of knowing if a visitor is still here or not. Especially if the visitor left Canada and went to the U.S. by land. If someone is here and living with friends, there would be no easy means of knowing the person is still in the country, and especially where they were.

There are approximately 35 million people who visit Canada each year, thats a lot of people to keep track of and make sure they all left on time...

I think the government really just targets troublemakers to get them out, and they need to come to the attention of authorities before that process gets initiated. And it seems to be a huge effort to get rid of even the scum drugdealers, let alone someones grandmother who stayed a bit longer to look after the grandkids.
Old 03-21-2007

yeah well what if they are driving around with licence plates and the cops notice it a lot or something and why doesnt marriage make them canadian after 3 years ? i think its stupid when you have to travel 18 hours to visit and you can only stay for 6 months and you have a child on the way i thought once you marry them they can stay and whatever i think canada is dumb then my sister married an american and has a green card and can live in the states why is it so difficult in canada ?
Old 03-21-2007

You may have to fill out paperwork and pay fees to get the process started, so don't be surprised if it takes more than a phone call.

Try reading up here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

(was posted earler in this thread as well.)

Oh, and I'm proud to be a "dumb" Canadian LOL
Old 03-21-2007

Thumbs up Topic: Why is it so hard to become canadian !

girdy has all the answers. Your awesome
Old 03-22-2007

that site does nothing but confuses me
Old 03-22-2007

Step-by-step guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/guide/index.html
Old 03-22-2007

someone just pm'ed me and said that , if you get married they still have to go home every 6 months ...
Old 03-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by megz View Post
yeah well what if they are driving around with licence plates and the cops notice it a lot or something and why doesnt marriage make them canadian after 3 years ? i think its stupid when you have to travel 18 hours to visit and you can only stay for 6 months and you have a child on the way i thought once you marry them they can stay and whatever i think canada is dumb then my sister married an american and has a green card and can live in the states why is it so difficult in canada ?
Megz, you have to calm down, and run the process. It's exactly the same process in the U.S. as it is in Canada, except it takes longer to become a U.S. Citizen. In Canada, you have to file immigration papers to sponsor him as a family member, and prove that your relationship is what it is (form IMM5002). You, Megz, have to commit to financially supporting him for a period of up to 10 years (form IMM1334). If you get divorced, you are responsible for supporting him, he would be in-eligible for social assistance. After reviewing the paperwork, they will offer him permanent residency. After he is here 3 years, he can apply for citizenship.

This is exactly the same process for the U.S.. Your sisters husband filled in form I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative and form I-864 - Affidavit for support. After 5 years of residency in the US, your sister could apply for citizenship.

I know more than a little about this, my wife has her citizenship test on March 26.

There are other ways he could immigrate here - as a skilled worker if he has expertise which is in short supply, or if he is a business person and has money to invest in Canada. Each requires applications, and in the case of the business immigration, will take even longer than family member sponsorship.

It begs the question, since you think it is trivial for you to become a US citizen, and it is hard for him to become a Canadian citizen - why you aren't moving to be with him? You don't seem to have much respect for Canada.
Old 03-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdy View Post
Megz, you have to calm down, and run the process. It's exactly the same process in the U.S. as it is in Canada, except it takes longer to become a U.S. Citizen. In Canada, you have to file immigration papers to sponsor him as a family member, and prove that your relationship is what it is (form IMM5002). You, Megz, have to commit to financially supporting him for a period of up to 10 years (form IMM1334). If you get divorced, you are responsible for supporting him, he would be in-eligible for social assistance. After reviewing the paperwork, they will offer him permanent residency. After he is here 3 years, he can apply for citizenship.

This is exactly the same process for the U.S.. Your sisters husband filled in form I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative and form I-864 - Affidavit for support. After 5 years of residency in the US, your sister could apply for citizenship.

I know more than a little about this, my wife has her citizenship test on March 26.

There are other ways he could immigrate here - as a skilled worker if he has expertise which is in short supply, or if he is a business person and has money to invest in Canada. Each requires applications, and in the case of the business immigration, will take even longer than family member sponsorship.

It begs the question, since you think it is trivial for you to become a US citizen, and it is hard for him to become a Canadian citizen - why you aren't moving to be with him? You don't seem to have much respect for Canada.

yeah i know , i dont like this country my father doesnt live here nor do half my family.. if i could move there i would but i have children in school and i could never move away from my mom imigration told me that if i get a job we can marry and then 3-10 years he can work etc. the paper work runs from 2000 to 2500 ?
Old 03-22-2007

Quote:
yeah i know , i dont like this country my father doesnt live here nor do half my family.. if i could move there i would but i have children in school and i could never move away from my mom imigration told me that if i get a job we can marry and then 3-10 years he can work etc. the paper work runs from 2000 to 2500 ?
The fees are less than that, maybe $1,000 approximately, but that's a trivial amount compared to your exposure. You would be sponsoring the father. He could show up, separate from you the next day, and you would be responsible for supporting him - paying his rent, his food, and keeping him above poverty level, whether he worked or not. He would not be able to get social assistance, if you had the financial ability to support him. The duration of that would be 3 years. If he has kids and you were also sponsoring them, you would be financially responsible for them until they've been in Canada for 10 years, or turn 25 years of age. He would not be financially responsible for them.

The reason it's not easy for someone to do this, is CIC needs to protect the rest of us, from you taking $5,000 under the table from this guy, have him come to Canada and immediately separate from you, and have the taxpayer support him. If you sponsor him, the taxpayer won't be supporting him if he leaves you - you will.

If you're not in a position to support more dependants yourself, then you should be very worried about attempting to sponsor someone.

I would suggest, that the father initiate his own immigration process as a skilled worker. Speaking bluntly, if he doesn't have the brains, work skills, and motivation to do that, he's not going to be much of a partner to you or father to your kids. You're not going to be able to start trying to sponsor him as a family member if you don't have the financial means to support him, so at the very least the process would get started while you work out that part of your life.

I appreciate this may sound like a scary note, and that was my intent. This is a potentially life ruining project you're doing, be darn sure you're going into this knowing all the facts, and being sure about the guy you'd be sponsoring.
Old 03-23-2007

Someone told me even if an american married a canadian the american would have to go back to states every 6 months but the 1-800 number told me that the only way they could live in canada is marriage or through school etc. and they never said anything about having to return every 6 months..
Old 03-23-2007

Quote:
Someone told me even if an american married a canadian the american would have to go back to states every 6 months but the 1-800 number told me that the only way they could live in canada is marriage or through school etc. and they never said anything about having to return every 6 months..
I believe that the maximum visit to Canada is 6 months. If you marry someone but they are not a permanent resident, then they are a visitor, and need to leave after 6 months.

You go through a change in status in immigrating:

When you have applied to immigrate, but they have not accepted your application yet, you can only visit for 6 months. That may take 2 years for processing.

When they have accepted your immigration application and you have come to Canada, you are called a Permanent Resident. You can stay full-time in Canada from that point forward without needing to visit the U.S.. You can remain a permanent resident forever, if you don't want to change citizenship.

After being in Canada for 3 years, you can apply for Canadian Citizenship. That process takes at least a year, you're still called a Permanent Resident through that time, and don't need to leave the country.

Then finally, you become a Canadian citizen.
Old 03-23-2007

the reason it is so hard is because it is such a great country!
it should be hard!
Old 03-23-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

yeah thats what im trying to tell her on PM but my words are not as good.

I have been here off and on for over a year trying to get my permanent resident, we just sent off my paper work on tuesday!! Whooo Hooo!!! i cant wait to work!!!! 6 or 7 months!!! But the thing im not doing is getting my Citizenship because i will lose my American Citizenship. But any ways, I agree it should be hard in some ways they are just trying to protect the country. There are something on the immergration stuff thats pretty crazy they ask for.But i understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdy View Post
I believe that the maximum visit to Canada is 6 months. If you marry someone but they are not a permanent resident, then they are a visitor, and need to leave after 6 months.

You go through a change in status in immigrating:

When you have applied to immigrate, but they have not accepted your application yet, you can only visit for 6 months. That may take 2 years for processing.

When they have accepted your immigration application and you have come to Canada, you are called a Permanent Resident. You can stay full-time in Canada from that point forward without needing to visit the U.S.. You can remain a permanent resident forever, if you don't want to change citizenship.

After being in Canada for 3 years, you can apply for Canadian Citizenship. That process takes at least a year, you're still called a Permanent Resident through that time, and don't need to leave the country.

Then finally, you become a Canadian citizen.