Punctuation & run-on sentences. General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 12-12-2006

Thumbs down Topic: Punctuation & run-on sentences.

Punctuation & run-on sentences.

There are so many good threads out there. But when they go on and on, without any punctuation or capital letters to start a new sentence, I just close that page out.
If you have something to say, and obviously people do or iSJ would not be as successful as it is, please use some proper techniques. It doesn't matter if you can't type fast, have typos or can't spell.

this is NOT the way to do it.

this is really hard to read when you have no idea where the sentence starts or ends because my sister does it when she says he said they did this but later they went on a picnic and saw a whale her car broke down because she lived on a street where there were no mechanics she had a nice tunafish sandwich her little one decided to watch elmo csi was her choice the snow started falling she went to bed
Old 12-12-2006

Default Topic: Punctuation & run-on sentences.

Holy reposts!
Old 12-12-2006

Hey puppylove, I agree 100%!!

However, you know what else makes text hard to read? Having it all centered instead of left-justified

Last edited by notfarnow; 12-12-2006 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12-12-2006
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

my keyboard sucks and half the time i have to go back and fix the letters that didnt work so i dont bother i dont find it hard to read at all
Old 12-12-2006
Member (100 to 500 posts)

lolz i no axackly wut ur takkin abot that zi sooooo funny that i forgetd how 2 laugh

Seriously though, folks, this is an internet epidemic.
Old 12-12-2006

-chuckle- I once had a problem where my space key didn't work. SoeverythingItypedwasreallyhardtoread,butnoonecomp lained(wowIknow) Or I would,type,like,this. I was very happy to get a new one. two days of that was poopy.
Old 12-12-2006

Hi Thread

Do schools teach kids sentence structure, or how to use a coma or period, is spelling even important now a days?

Seems most kids are trying to perfect just the right amount of underwear to pants that should be hanging out, and then tucking most of it into your shirt, which of course as we all know is the sexiest fashion statement known to mankind! It’s off the hizzle fazzile!

I was shot by the truth 9 times!

Truthiness Inc
Old 12-12-2006

My apologies of there was a few reposts..I was hitting enter and the site went offline for a minute... My thinking is, if someone has something they want to say, and want people to actually read it, try using punctuation.
Old 12-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthiness Inc View Post
Hi Thread

Do schools teach kids sentence structure, or how to use a coma or period, is spelling even important now a days?

Seems most kids are trying to perfect just the right amount of underwear to pants that should be hanging out, and then tucking most of it into your shirt, which of course as we all know is the sexiest fashion statement known to mankind! It’s off the hizzle fazzile!

Truthiness Inc
Hi Ness , May I call you Ness ?

I c "Hookt on Foniks Werkt For You "
Old 12-12-2006

Just so you know...

ummmm...most of the people on this site aren't kids, they are parents of kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthiness Inc View Post
Hi Thread

Truthiness Inc
Old 12-13-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by je12122 View Post
ummmm...most of the people on this site aren't kids, they are parents of kids.
That's the scary part of this topic!

I tok the evlen wood sped reding corce myslf!
Old 12-13-2006

Well, I am a student and when I am at school I make sure to use proper puntuation;however, I don't tend to be so anal when I'm online. I think it's because I know how to use puntuation properly, and it's really a pain it the butt! Just to let you know puppluv, you are over using your commas and using them in places they don't need to be. LOL
Old 12-13-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberry View Post
Well, I am a student and when I am at school I make sure to use proper puntuation;however, I don't tend to be so anal when I'm online. I think it's because I know how to use puntuation properly, and it's really a pain it the butt! Just to let you know puppluv, you are over using your commas and using them in places they don't need to be. LOL

Thank you for the tip...those comma's are always a pain and I try to use spell check as I type too fast, and it never points out too many ( and I use grammar check too. But at least I am USING punctuation.

I just think if someone has something they feel is important enough to say, why wouldn’t they try and ensure people would read it or could read it.
Old 12-13-2006

agreed..

I agree, though I admit there are times where I have ranted and gone on and on or spelled things incorrectly in a hurry. Overall though I don't think I am that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyluv View Post
Thank you for the tip...those comma's are always a pain and I try to use spell check as I type too fast, and it never points out too many ( and I use grammar check too. But at least I am USING punctuation.

I just think if someone has something they feel is important enough to say, why wouldn’t they try and ensure people would read it or could read it.
Old 12-13-2006

Spelling errors are sometimes typos; BUT, when repeated they remove all doubt (ie: Puntuation - should read Punctuation)

Then we run into possessives-when to use the Apostrophe and "S". Apostrophes should only be used by entities in possession or when replacing letters in a contraction (ie:"those comma's are always a pain" - Should read: "those commas are always a pain").

Then there are the infamous Your<>You're, There
Meh, I'm with the person who said they dont get too upset online. I'd go crazy otherwise.
Old 01-09-2008

Punctuation is the key.
Old 01-09-2008

I went to Hampton high for grade 11 and 12, and had GREAT Mrs. Donovan...she taught me so much about punctuation and sentence structure. Now, I do not use it properly all the time, but I at least try to punctuate semi-properly. Because of what she did, I get SO ANAL when I read threads where there is absolutely no punctuation or at least capitals where a new sentence should be starting...
Old 01-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiph0p View Post
my keyboard sucks and half the time i have to go back and fix the letters that didnt work so i dont bother i dont find it hard to read at all
Get a new keyboard? Also, are your commas or periods broken? If a lettre mixes up it isn't that big of a deal but if you write the way you do it isn't because your keyboard is broken it is because you don't know how or are too lazy to use punctuation.

The proper way should have been:

My keyboard sucks and half of the time I have to go back and fix the letters that didn't work so I don't bother going back and fixing the mistakes. I don't find it that hard to read at all.
Old 01-09-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan j View Post
Get a new keyboard? Also, are your commas or periods broken? If a lettre mixes up it isn't that big of a deal but if you write the way you do it isn't because your keyboard is broken it is because you don't know how or are too lazy to use punctuation.

The proper way should have been:

My keyboard sucks and half of the time I have to go back and fix the letters that didn't work so I don't bother going back and fixing the mistakes. I don't find it that hard to read at all.

Holy Crap, rare occasion! Dan used capital letters and proper punctuation. Call the authorities, something must be wrong. LOL
Old 01-09-2008

come on now you two, be nice!