Justice...gotta wonder.. General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 12-11-2006

Default Topic: Justice...gotta wonder..

Justice...gotta wonder..

Hey remember the big "riot" on Grand Manan...and how they rushed the 5 people charged through the court system, kept them isolated from family and the media? Guess what, the guy who owned the alleged crack house, Ronald Ross, has had his trial postponed until next spring or summer due to a "technocality". Even though he admitted to smoking crack in court...among other things, including some of his "friends" testifying for the defense..
Old 12-11-2006

Yeah the system trys to take care of vigilanties ( I think that's what they're called ) asap. I was happy to see the sentences, or lack there of in the case though.
Old 12-12-2006
Member (100 to 500 posts)

He smoked crack right there in court?!
Old 12-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail View Post
He smoked crack right there in court?!
Yep, the judge allowed it, because defendant guy is very badly addicted. Judges often allow people to drink or take drugs in court, if they are addicted.
Old 12-12-2006

Wink Topic: Justice...gotta wonder..

lol..no he admitted to the judge he smoked it, owned it and was addicted to it..apparently admission of guilt is not admissable..lol but hey, who knows in the future...

Last edited by daneast; 12-12-2006 at 04:39 PM..
Old 12-12-2006
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Unbelievable!
Old 12-13-2006
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

"he admitted to the judge he smoked it, owned it and was addicted to it"

Unless he was caught WITH it, there is really nothing they can do.

Now if they have tangible evidence, like a couple crack rocks, and he admitted they were his, then he will get charged for possesion. If the amount is over a certain size, then they could charge him with intent to sell. Being "high" and/or addicted is NOT a crime - stupid, yes indeed, but not a crime (yet) lol.
Old 12-14-2006

Yeh, you have to get caught with it. I guess what bothers me is they locked up the 5 men until trial..and they were saying it was self defense...and let the guy who admits to a lot of illegal activities sit in a nice comfy home in NS until his trial, now put off until at least spring...Mr Ross's associates even testified for the defense in the trial..go figure..
Old 12-14-2006
Member (< 100 posts)

Locking up addicted people is not gonna help the addicted or the society. But we gotta long way to go before someone starts to realize that in this country.
Old 12-14-2006

He should be locked up because he is a danger to society (he fired the first shots, threatened people etc...he told people on the Island that if they burned down his house for selling crack to the kids, he would live in a tent and GIVE crack to the kids for free) It has nothing to do with addiction..he should be in jail waiting for trial just like the 5 men who tried to put a stop to him selling crack when the RCMP did not.
Old 12-14-2006
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

You can say what you want about vigilante justice, but when the police will do nothing (or legally "can" do nothing), and the guilty get away, what are innocent people supposed to do when they are desperate to protect their home and community? At last tally, due to theft, break ins, and armed robbery over the course of 30 years of life, I am out 2 purses, a 900$ bike, a laptop, a diamond ring, at least 3200$ cash over several break-ins at my home/armed robberies at my business, about $1000 in merchandise also at said business, a car window, a damaged deck railing, irreplaceable family photos, etc etc. What is a person supposed to do, lie back and TAKE it? Of all this, ONE person went to trial ONE time, and nothing really came of it-a minor, uninforceable judgment to repay. meanwhile my brother stole a hammer and some fishing line from the back of a guy's truck being a goof while drunk, he got a night in jail, charged, a record, had to pay a couple hundred dollars in fines etc. Where is the fairness in THAT? He got a record for that, but people who held up my employees TWICE at knife point get away? People who smashed my car window get to keep walking around? A person who admitted to stealing a 2k laptop gets a fine that they will never have to pay since they don't have a job? Kids who were physically caught by my mother stealing the bike get NOTHING? Whatever.