Carseats and Booster seats General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 03-01-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Carseats and Booster seats

Carseats and Booster seats

Hi does anyone here know of this law i've been hearing that says all children under 4'9 must be in a carseat/booster seat?? is it true??

and my mom is 4'11 does that mean two more inches and I'd have to put HER in a booster seat??
Old 03-01-2007

lol ya its a law but don't know if its here or not...good luck
Old 03-01-2007

I called the police station a cpl years trying to find out what the rule is, the only thing they told me was that if a child was under 60 pounds( I had heard it was 80 pounds) we would be fined if stopped.

But I know also there is a height requirement as well, as soon as their head is above the booster seat they can be taken out of it I was told, not by the police but info I found online. I had a terrible time finding out the rules even when I called the police station I was passed around afew times before they found someone that could help me!!
Old 03-01-2007

the new law was put in place in nova scotia
Old 03-01-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

The government was also looking at implementing a new law in New Brunswick, more strick than NS. THe child must reach a weight and/or height requirement or to the age of 10. My little guy is 8 years old and only weighs 51 lbs and is 51 inches - he'll be in a booster seat for a long long time, he's very small for his age.
I also heard that NB passes the new law, it will be a loss of pts on your liscense as well as a fine. So for those who don't have their children in a booster seat, definately something to look into!
Old 03-01-2007

It's Definately Something We All Need To Look Into If We Have Kids..
Old 03-01-2007

its the same thing as kids 12 and under are not suppose to be in the front seat.not to many know about that....
Old 03-01-2007

I Just Cringe At What's Gonna Happen When I Tell My 9 Yr Old She Has To Sit In A Booster Seat Lol
Old 03-01-2007

that's what I had to do - tell my 8 yr old son he had to go back in a booster seat! You can just imagine how well that went over. Nothing a little bribery won't fix LOL
Old 03-01-2007

I wish they had 5 point harnesses here for up to 80 pounds, I know they do in the states.
Old 03-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
I wish they had 5 point harnesses here for up to 80 pounds, I know they do in the states.
I have one. It's made by eddie bower, bought at sears.
Old 03-01-2007

they do....my son is three and is in a son is in a seat for infant when rear facing and then forward facing it's 40-80 but i think once they get so tall the belts come out and you use the normal ones.you could try looking around.
Old 03-01-2007

I've already looked around here, they don't have them
Old 03-01-2007

car seats and booster seats

I have a child of my own a newborn and I plan to keep him in a booster seat til the recommended age or weight, however I still think about how our parents just buckled us right in and took off....seems like everything is changing now...baby walkers, lying on the back, bumper pads, no snowsuits or bunting bags in car seats, etc.... Some how I survived all this and a bunch more no's no's.

Seems like everything has changed and there is a rule to everything....
Old 03-01-2007

Dont forget riding in the back of pickup trucks.... seems we come from a more invincible generation... and yes i agree.. how did we survive??? without the gvtments caring... lol
Old 03-01-2007

I also would like a 5 poiint harness that goes higher than 40 lbs, my daughter is 39 1/4 lbs and i'm holding out to the last minute to take the 5 point out lol
Old 03-01-2007

Send a message via MSN to richunclepennywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Dont forget riding in the back of pickup trucks.... seems we come from a more invincible generation... and yes i agree.. how did we survive??? without the gvtments caring... lol
We didn't all survive, that's why they make rules.
Old 03-01-2007

Of Course I Know That And That's Why I Was Inquiring About The Seats.. I Was Making A Point As To The Chances Our Parents Took.. And Babies Die In Carseats Also.. Ask My Moms Friend Who Assisted In A Car Crashwhere The Mothers Seat Pinned The Baby... Nothing Is A Guarantee.. But Procautions Need To Be Made...
Old 03-02-2007

I have a Safe Kids Canada booklet that talks about car seat safety in Canada. Zellers was giving them out a few months ago. The requirements for a child in a booster seat is that it must be used until the child is "up to at least 80 pounds (36 kilograms), up to 57 inches (145 centimetres) and from the age of about 4 or 5 years to about the age of 9 years." My daughter is almost 9 years old and isn't even close to this weight or height therefore she is still in a booster seat. This is safer for her if we were ever in an accident. For an adult that is this small, well an adult is usually stronger than a child even if they are the same size.
Old 03-02-2007

There is always a chance....I know someone whos son was thrown from the vehicle and died on impact and he was secured in a booster seat. The seatbelt became unlatched in her SUV, she now has her 6 year old in a 5 point harness for up to 80 pounds.