How much info....Is too much? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 01-11-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: How much info....Is too much?

How much info....Is too much?

I guess there isn't really a limit....other than what you feel you want to tell but does anyone else ever think that people give out an AWFUL lot of personal information on these sites? Maybe it's just me...
Old 01-11-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Sure there is.. But i am not trying to hide anything.. Anyone else?
Old 01-11-2008

Personally I find it amusing that some of the people that post on here seem to forget what they post from one thread to another. They seem oblivious to the fact that people do in fact remember and that old threads can still be viewed. Not too bright!
And yes, sometimes we get way too much info!
Old 01-11-2008

I remember a post last year or so that someone was describing living in a BAD section of the north end, they went into great description of where they lived, and I just thought it was disaster waiting to happen. I posted my thoughts, and soon the thread was deleted.

You just have to be very careful with info you post about yourselves and property. you just dont know who reads this stuff.
Old 01-11-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureChief88 View Post
Sure there is.. But i am not trying to hide anything.. Anyone else?

I agree, anything I say on here I will certainly say face to face.
Old 01-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
I agree, anything I say on here I will certainly say face to face.
And not even so much that.. but i choose what info i want spread about the internet.. I am not one of those people who cries if someone knows something about me. I am generally the one to tell first!
lol

Maybe i give too much info.. But i do it for personal experience.. or just to plain vent.

all anyone on here knows of me is my screen name. Those who know who i am.. I dont mind them reading about me.. cause this is my life..

You may be able to figure out where i live.. but i move so much ..no one would ever be able to catch me! lol
Old 01-11-2008

Well I think people probably say what they want on here because their identities are hidden and if you don't go into detail in here I find people will bite your head of sometimes. But then if you do, it's saying too much. Not sure what would be a happy medium! Don't think there is one, no one is ever satisfied. :P
Old 01-11-2008

everyone's personal comfort level is different. Yes I think sometimes people divulge too much personal info about who they are etc, but for the most part it is meant to help others, offer suggestions, advice, etc.
Comfort level is different for everyone.
Old 01-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Well I think people probably say what they want on here because their identities are hidden and if you don't go into detail in here I find people will bite your head of sometimes. But then if you do, it's saying too much. Not sure what would be a happy medium! Don't think there is one, no one is ever satisfied. :P

LOL
Old 01-11-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

It is easy to give away details that could identify you- in one thread you could talk about snow removal in your area, in another your type of job or leaving one job for another, talk about specific policies that only exist at your work, in another talk about your weight, another talk about medical care for your kids, another complain about traffic outside your window and so on, next thing you know, everyone knows you're the fat chick with 3 kids, one of whom is in a wheelchair, who works at Xerox, so you must live in the pink house on the corner. All of this can get you in trouble if you are complaining about your supervisor, your neighbours or talking big about calling the cops on them etc.
Old 01-12-2008

Sometimes people take things way to serious. If anyone wants to go through the bother of finding me out, well than they are more than welcome to come to my door. If they are some crazy or whatever, I will deal with that when it comes. I am not about to live my life in fear and not be willing to stand behind what I say. I think more people need to stand up and be the person they think they are behind a screen. Stand up and take accountablilty for our own actions and what we say.
Old 01-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
Sometimes people take things way to serious. If anyone wants to go through the bother of finding me out, well than they are more than welcome to come to my door. If they are some crazy or whatever, I will deal with that when it comes. I am not about to live my life in fear and not be willing to stand behind what I say. I think more people need to stand up and be the person they think they are behind a screen. Stand up and take accountablilty for our own actions and what we say.
Well said..but the fact of the matter is that no one stand behind what they say anymore, and no one takes responsibility for their actions.. this is proven each and every day! I am in the same boat. I dont care WHO on here knows who i am..Unless they start stalking me.

See the thing is with me,most of the people i work with that are on this site know who i am. So its cool. I dont ever complain about my Job cause i love it! (Somedays) lol. So i dont believe i have anything to worry about.. I am telling personal info about myself.. Which i choose to do.. and thats ok with me..again..i move so much no one would ever be able to find me! lol