trying to get a criminal record check General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 01-07-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: trying to get a criminal record check

trying to get a criminal record check

I am wondering if there is a way to have a criminal record check done on someone without their knowledge or consent?
Also, if someone has changed their name legally how do you go about finding out what their birth name was???
I am in deperate need right now. I need to find out what a persons birth name was, because I think they are a convicted child molester. Someone please help me....
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

I dont think you can unless you got conection in the policing and someone willing to chek it out for you...I beleive they need proof of who you are...you could talk to a cop about your doubt but not sure things will go your way...sorry if i wasnt any help just "voicing" my opnion
Old 01-07-2008

No that is fine, that seems to be what I have found so far searching... I am just soooo stressed out right now I Want to cry....
Old 01-07-2008

There are specific guidelines regarding a change of name. I don't believe you can change your name in order to "hide" a criminal past. You could try contacting the government department that handles name change. As to a criminal record check done on someone other than yourself, I believe the answer is no.
Old 01-07-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I know of a certain employer in the city that constantly checks out it's employees without their knowledge. I believe they use online services that are connected to CPIC. Maybe you could find out more about the service and see what it entails. Or maybe if your lucky you know someone who works in an HR Department.
Old 01-08-2008

Unhappy Topic: trying to get a criminal record check

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunderstood View Post
I am wondering if there is a way to have a criminal record check done on someone without their knowledge or consent?
Also, if someone has changed their name legally how do you go about finding out what their birth name was???
I am in deperate need right now. I need to find out what a persons birth name was, because I think they are a convicted child molester. Someone please help me....
Thanks.
I guess my question(s) to you are:

- is this person working for you
- are you involved "romantically" with this person
- if you have concerns, then why don't you stay away from the person in question?

I doubt that you will be able to get any personal information on the person without knowing the "right" person. CPIC isn't just a system that "anyone" can get into. Like I said unless you know the "right" person...you might not be successful. Go to the police with your concerns, they may be of more help to you then trying to do it on your own.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
I know of a certain employer in the city that constantly checks out it's employees without their knowledge. I believe they use online services that are connected to CPIC. Maybe you could find out more about the service and see what it entails. Or maybe if your lucky you know someone who works in an HR Department.
The only way this employer can do this is if they have an inside connection, there is absolutely no online connection to cpic files. Sorry Riley, but your information is wrong.

Last edited by stingray; 01-08-2008 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: incorrect statement
Old 01-08-2008

wow... the ultimate breach of privacy. I'm sorry but trying to get that kind of info without the person's consent is pretty low if you ask me.
Old 01-08-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Isn't that an invasion of privacy?

Why don't you check the registered Sexual Offenders in the province and see if you find a match.
Old 01-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
Isn't that an invasion of privacy?

Why don't you check the registered Sexual Offenders in the province and see if you find a match.
I may be wrong but I think you still have to go to the police to get that information.
Old 01-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
The only way this employer can do this is if they have an inside connection, there is absolutely no online connection to cpic files. Sorry Riley, but your information is wrong.

As for mizunderstood going to the police, she has critized them repeatedly on these forms and claims to have absolutely no faith in them. Funny, now that she wants to know something, she would be willing to trust thier information they have on file.
Regarding your second paragraph, mizunderstood IS AlWAYS very vocal in her SUPPORT of the police. I believe you may have confused her with someone else.
Old 01-08-2008
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

i hate to say it but you have to go to the police with a consent form to be able to do that i know this because i ve had one done a few years back to work in a daycare not to mention anything that occured when the person is under 18 you are not allow to look at there file even enployers are not allowed
Old 01-08-2008

Not sure exactly how this site works but you can check it out....decide for yourself...

http://www.efindoutthetruth.com/Canada.htm
Old 01-08-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstu View Post
Regarding your second paragraph, mizunderstood IS AlWAYS very vocal in her SUPPORT of the police. I believe you may have confused her with someone else.
Perhaps I do and if that is the case then I hope mizunderstood will accept my apologies.
Old 01-08-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:

As for mizunderstood going to the police, she has critized them repeatedly on these forms and claims to have absolutely no faith in them. Funny, now that she wants to know something, she would be willing to trust thier information they have on file.

I didn't say whether or not that is how they actually get their info, but rather that I believe that might be how. As for no online service, than what exactly is this, how does it work?

http://www.backcheck.net/home.htm?gc...FQGdPAodjVojWQ
Old 01-08-2008

Wow...both of these sites are paid ones, therefore a person/company with the cash could have access to certain information. I wonder though if it only says that you have/have not been convicted of a crime or offense, but not go into detail as to exactly "what" it is. It would be interesting to say the least to find out. Really makes you wonder though doesn't it.

And I still say as far as the original post...

- is this person working for you
- are you involved "romantically" with this person
- if you have concerns, then why don't you stay away from the person in question?

Regardless, if the possibility of my child(ren) or someone else's were in danger....then get away from the situation.... your only asking for trouble if you don't.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-08-2008

no

You cannot get details of there record. The police can get the details and the courts.
Those sites would not give you details.

If you contact the police and asked them to check on this person, they can, but the most they can say is yes or no. They are not allow to give details of that persons offence to you.
Old 01-08-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
I didn't say whether or not that is how they actually get their info, but rather that I believe that might be how. As for no online service, than what exactly is this, how does it work?

http://www.backcheck.net/home.htm?gc...FQGdPAodjVojWQ
According to the site, you need a signed informed consent from the individual being checked. If you have that, then the local police dept will also do it for a fee. So the bottom line , without the persons consent, you can't access thier record.
Old 01-08-2008

This link that was posted http://www.backcheck.net/home.htm?gc...FQGdPAodjVojWQ

is not for every day people. You must be an employer to obtain information through that site/company.

So again the answer is no you cannot not do it legally...only illegal.
So I would say this little debat is over. I am freinds with 2 rcmp officers and they provided me with the answers.

So mizunderstood, you cannot obtain it unless you are an authority figure/judge/police..like that.

If you obtain that information illegally then you are breaking the canada privacy law or who ever provides you with that.

It sucks but true. This is why we need what the US has for sex offenders/molesters.
Old 01-08-2008

Quote:
According to the site, you need a signed informed consent from the individual being checked. If you have that, then the local police dept will also do it for a fee. So the bottom line , without the persons consent, you can't access thier record.

that is true, but good luck on getting them to agree.
The canadian privacy law is the reason why you can't obtain it unless you are th police or a the courts.