Who's Bright Idea was that now?!! Honestly!! General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 11-29-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Who's Bright Idea was that now?!! Honestly!!

Who's Bright Idea was that now?!! Honestly!!

Apparently people don't learn from their mistakes.....

Westmorland road no longer stands alone in having the most stupid lights ever. They have been beat out by the stupidest lights ever on Rothesay Avenue.

I can imagine it wasn't the first but I saw an accident happen right infront of my eyes the other day. I don't think I have ever actually seen an accident happen though I have seen the after affects many times...

A 3 car pile up might I add. One of the cars ended up in the Deluxe Parking lot where I was parked facing the road. He was on the opposite side of the road when he got hit. Right up and over the cemement thingies and into the parking lot. He's lucky nothing was moving in the opposite direction at that moment and that the train has passed because it would have been much worse with car backed up on this side of the road!!.

It doesn't help you know, that there is a train that runs through there and congests the traffic even more so. I have never seen a traffic pile up on Rothesay Avenue before this light was put in, except during road construction.

Who comes up this stuff? Find a new profession!!!
Old 11-30-2007

umm, lights help prevent accidents. people who don't know how to read them and/or speed cause accidents. also, you hardly explained where or what these lights or doing nor did you care to explain what caused the accident. surely, the lights did it though!
Old 11-30-2007

It is because they are only 10 feet apart. Obviously the light are not the "cause" but they contribute. I saw that too Pumpkin.. It was insane!
Old 11-30-2007

As I see it part of the problem is cars travelling on Rothesay Ave. heading towards McAllister Dr. do not know where to stop when they come up to the lights! Drivers are stopping directly under the lights, blocking traffic attempting to make a left turn onto Rothesay Ave, on the green light!
Old 11-30-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I'd have to agree with Dan that the lights are supposed to help....not hinder...

Not to sound rude....but the reason for most of these accidents are the idiot drivers here....I'm not sure what they're doing....but I've seen people pull out right in front of others (without looking)....on phones....doing makeup....looking around...driving with no hands (if you can believe that one)....speeding ...going through red lights....driving on the wrong side of the highway....running over pedestrians...I mean the list goes on and on....

Look we have people in this city that can't drive because a couple lights are shining in the sky....It really isn't safe...I'm actually surprised more people aren't are seriously hurt or killed by the drivers here....

So yes maybe the lights are close together ....but really that isn't the issue....it's what is behind the wheel in most cases.

Last edited by JustWatching; 11-30-2007 at 07:59 AM..
Old 11-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWatching View Post
I'd have to agree with Dan that the lights are supposed to help....not hinder...

Not to sound rude....but the reason for most of these accidents are the idiot drivers here....I'm not sure what they're doing....but I've seen people pull out right in front of others (without looking)....on phones....doing makeup....looking around...driving with no hands (if you can believe that one)....speeding ...going through red lights....driving on the wrong side of the highway....running over pedestrians...I mean the list goes on and on....

Look we have people in this city that can't drive because a couple lights are shining in the sky....It really isn't safe...I'm actually surprised more people aren't are seriously hurt or killed by the drivers here....

So yes maybe the lights are close together ....but really that isn't the issue....it's what is behind the wheel in most cases.
Yes in Most cases.. But in this case i dont think so..
Old 11-30-2007

The days of Rothesay Ave being a drag strip as a quick way to get from central to east (vice versa) are over. For better or worse, the road is now part of the retail zone and as such, will be subject to all kinds of lights to help cars from crashing into each other. If the cars continue to do so, it is their own fault (or at least one of them who fails to accept the change in traffic rules).
Old 11-30-2007

I dont believe it has anything to do with accepting change in traffic Rules?? i think the rules of stopping at a set of lights when it is red has always been the same. The problem is.. the days of Rothesay ave being a drag strip are NOT over.. I almost got hit this morning on my way to work by some guy trying to weave in and out going at least 90.. had to be.. Mind you i dont have a radar gun, but i was driving 50.. and he was past me in 1 minute.. and down the end of the road.. Just cause they add some lights and lower the speed limit doesnt stop the people who didnt follow the rules in the beginning.
They added the lights by the trailer park because of the new road that was completed to access East Point shopping center, and they added Lights at ashburn lake rd because there is access from the highway now and more cars will be accessing it and heading to Rothesay Ave. The problem is is that they are way too close together.. and stopping and starting every 10 feet is not good for traffic or your vehicle. It is unnecessary and could have been incorporated with the existing lights.. Just the same as the 3 sets of lights on westmoreland rd.. They could have merged driveways (Like they did with Canadian tire) and there would be no need for so many lights!

Which is the point Pumpkin was trying to make. I believe.
Old 11-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureChief88 View Post
They added the lights by the trailer park because of the new road that was completed to access East Point shopping center

Those lights were there long before Retail Dr. was put in.
Old 11-30-2007

Yes and they were sensored.. now they are not.. they are timed.. and they are timed because of retail drive.
Old 11-30-2007

Well Dan J I didn't realize that people expected me to write a novel explaining every detail. And yes I agree that a big part of the problem are the drivers. I agree with that 100%. But it doesn't make driving any easier for idiot drivers or normal drivers when they have a light, then 2 car lengths away they have another light.

The point I was trying to get at wasn't what caused the accident (obviously the drivers) but the fact that the traffic congestion their now does not help. The fact that before they put that light there, there was not traffic back ups like that there. Unfortunately, a lot of people do get nervous when confronted with new traffic lights that are SO CLOSE togther packed full of cars trying to get in and out of roads. Look at the ones on Westmorland road? Are you gonna tell me that those traffic lights make sense ? Nope not a bit. Not to me and i am sure many others who I have heard complain and on here I might add.

I just don't understand how they think this helps because I can't see it. And, seeing as the cops dropped the speed limit and are supposed to be watching it hard, then I guess people should no longer be using it as a drag strip or whatever someone called it. So that to me makes those lights even more pointless.

Anyways, no point in arguing the fact I guess. They won't do anything about it. Was just my rant and my opinion. And, in MY opinion this is another one for the dumb ideas in Saint John.
Old 11-30-2007

Quote:
Yes and they were sensored.. now they are not.. they are timed.. and they are timed because of retail drive.
They are still sensored. Only from Retail drive. Making them timed would be pointless.

Watch the lights, They don't change until someone pulls up coming from Retail.
Old 11-30-2007
New Member (< 10 posts)

I believe the city is working on plans to make Retail Drive and Ashburn Lake Road into one. Some of the businesses will obviously have to go so they can align the two roads.
Old 12-07-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Just like to add that I've seen 2 accidents there in the last 2 days, what a briliant design.
Old 12-07-2007

k, let us not take personal responsibility for our own driving habits.

i mean, do you have to keep your head in the sand that much to not see the amount of people breaking traffic laws? on an average 20 minute drive through east to west you can often see 5-10 drivers speeding, going through an advance light after it ends, speeding through at the last second when a yellow is about to turn to red, speed a left when both sides turn green at the same time (no advance), not using a signal light when turning, cutting people off, turning right when no rights are allowed when there is a red, etc.. So yeah, blame the light trying to transfrom East Side into the retail mecca that everyone hopes it to be. SJ will soon be "developed". (by the way, I hate the retail development but I can understand the changes being made to manage the changes in traffic).
Old 12-07-2007

I am sure there will be more to come.If they are timed at the trailer park now,than why don't they work in time with the others where you go into strescon!If you get through one set right now and you are car number 3 or 4 at the first set of lights and it is green than you don't stand a chance getting through the second because it is red,So now you have a street blocked off.
Old 12-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
They are still sensored. Only from Retail drive. Making them timed would be pointless.

Well the funny thing is.. I drive down rothesay ave at least 4 times a day during the week.. and everytime i have had to stop there there has been NO ONE at retail drive.. Sometimes there is.. and other times there is not. It is not a matter of me "missing" the person.. cause i have been first in line when those lights turn red.. and there is no one there at all..

I dont know.. Maybe i am wrong.. but it seems odd that they would go off with no one there
Old 12-08-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post

Man, I wish all the people I get behind leaving work to go to my OTHER job would realize this and friggin' pull up 2 cm to touch the stop line and activate the sensor. In Fredericton they used to have little signs saying "traffic activated light-please advance to stop line." Maybe that would be a good idea here? I remember the first month they put in the lights at the bottom of King by Market Square and the big argument I had with a cab driver who would not believe me that he had to pull up to the line to make them change- it was 7 a.m. and no other traffic around to activate them. We sat there, no word of a lie, 10 minutes, waiting to turn down Water St. I almost got out of the car, we sat there so long til a bus came and stopped for a minute at the stop; that activated the lights. I called the cab company the minute I was in the door and asked them to TELL this driver next time to pull up or at least listen to his passenger.
Old 12-08-2007

I was listening to the scanner when the police were dealing with that accident. Even the police are amazed at the way these lights are set up. One cop told the dispatcher to try and find someone to do something before they start hauling away bodies!

The lights are too close together. If you look at the wrong set it is easy to think you have a green light and go through. All they needed to do was set the lights to operate together as 1 set.

Some one will get killed there. Maybe then our great city planners will admit they made a mistake. I understand what they were trying to do, but they went about it in the wrong way. It could have been done a lot more efficiently.
Old 12-08-2007

Quote:
Well the funny thing is.. I drive down rothesay ave at least 4 times a day during the week.. and everytime i have had to stop there there has been NO ONE at retail drive.. Sometimes there is.. and other times there is not. It is not a matter of me "missing" the person.. cause i have been first in line when those lights turn red.. and there is no one there at all..

I dont know.. Maybe i am wrong.. but it seems odd that they would go off with no one there
They are very sensitive, someone set them wrong. If a car drives by on either side of the sensor, either heading up retail dr or right onto rothesay ave it activates the lights. They are delayed by a few seconds too.