Taser use should be banned everywhere! General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 11-26-2007
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

Thumbs down Topic: Taser use should be banned everywhere!

Taser use should be banned everywhere!

My Hat goes off to the Man in Nova Scotia who erected the Cross on His Front Lawn in Memory of The Polish Immigrant Who passed away. Taser use is deffinatly getting out of control. There have been too many senseless Deaths due to taser use. The cops should just go back to shooting people in the foot, atleast they'll live.
Old 11-26-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Taser use should be banned everywhere!

I think that if a law enforcement officer can get close enough to use a taser, than pepper spray should be more than suffice to subdue an assailant.
Old 11-26-2007

'''My Hat goes off to the Man in Nova Scotia who erected the Cross on His Front Lawn in Memory of The Polish Immigrant Who passed away. Taser use is deffinatly getting out of control. There have been too many senseless Deaths due to taser use. The cops should just go back to shooting people in the foot, atleast they'll live."""

""I think that if a law enforcement officer can get close enough to use a taser, than pepper spray should be more than suffice to subdue an assailant '''''

maybe next time someone like that is flipping out the cops can call u 2 to come shoot them in the foot or pepper spray them .
Old 11-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb View Post
'''My Hat goes off to the Man in Nova Scotia who erected the Cross on His Front Lawn in Memory of The Polish Immigrant Who passed away. Taser use is deffinatly getting out of control. There have been too many senseless Deaths due to taser use. The cops should just go back to shooting people in the foot, atleast they'll live."""

""I think that if a law enforcement officer can get close enough to use a taser, than pepper spray should be more than suffice to subdue an assailant '''''

maybe next time someone like that is flipping out the cops can call u 2 to come shoot them in the foot or pepper spray them .
Wasn't he calming down before they tasered him... the video would suggest it.
Old 11-26-2007

4 to 1 come on, they could have jumped him instead, obviously he didn't have a weapon or he would have hauled it out before they got here.
Old 11-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb View Post

Maybe you should watch the video first, and than tell us that it was necessary for them to taser him. The whole issued boiled down to the inability to communicate with a man that was obviously distraught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHKk5qQRzL4
Old 11-26-2007

maybe they could have like you i wasn't there and relying on the news and one angle on a single camera
Old 11-26-2007

They never made any attempt to have an interpreter there to determine what his problem was. Also the fact that they taserred him again once he was on the ground was completely uncalled for. I think it is just a matter of police have a new toy that gives them a rush of adrenaline.
Old 11-26-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

:(

I agree that there are still a few rogue police offices who will pull their tasers way to early, but for the most part it has been proven that tasers save lives. Put yourself in a police officers shoes for one second and I'll bet your views may change. Why should a police officer have to fight with a person or persons who are so out of control in the first place that people had to call the police in. I know your going to say "it's their job", but why should they put themselves in harms way when they can bring it under control very quickly with the use a taser. Have you ever heard of "Death by Cop" that don't happen when there is a taser on the sceen. Not to mention that most of the time the person in question is so hopped up on drugs and alcohol they become extremely strong and aggressive! I say use the taser, but only after all else has failed. Tasers are also now equiped with video cameras, so police will have to be justified when using them.
Old 11-26-2007

I agree with you 100% T-Diddy, if like you said they have exhausted all other remedies, but however, in this case they did not try any other means other than the taser, on a man who in my opinion did not deserve it.
Old 11-26-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

So lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater here. If in fact they did act too soon to taser in this case, does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to ever use or carry tasers? In my opinion, tasers can be a valuable weapon and good alternative when maybe the only other alternative is to beat or shoot someone. The objective being to only use them in those circumstances when there is no other choice or other methods to control have failed and personal safety has been threatened.
Old 11-26-2007

If used for the right situation, i'm all for a taser being used, cause the next option is a gun...
Old 11-26-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I think it is ridiculous! The law states that murder is a crime yet authorities who are higher up are allowed to go beyond the law?I don't think so.Controlling someone is one thing but .....oops I killed him is not something that should be heard .Why can't they use beanbag guns instead?What if that was you or one of your loved ones on the taser end?
Old 11-26-2007

So what happens when someone dies when they are shot with a beanbag, cause it has happened? It is still the same issue, if the officer has no option but to use a taser, then I say, let him do it.
Old 11-26-2007

:(

Beanbag guns can kill a person aswell! Yes I feel bad for the man that died as a result of police intervention, however I was not there. I seen the video and I feel that it could have been things other then the taser that ended this mans life.
Old 11-26-2007

I wonder if the manufacturer made an error when he constucted these weapons and the voltage was up too high, Someone should look into this.
Old 11-26-2007

I would much rather see the police use a taser than a gun. Trying to shoot an enraged moving target in the foot is just about impossible, not to mention dangerous! Even if they hit the person in the foot, that bullet is moving at high speed and will pass through the foot and keep going. Only in the movies would it work. I sure would not want to be somewhere on the other side if this happened

Why should I die from a ricocheting bullet for no more than passing through an area not knowing what is happening?

When an officer pulls his gun he shoots for center body mass. He wants to hit the target were it will stop him. Not for the foot.

On the other hand, there are cops that should be tasered them selves for there use of these.

Take a look at this. This guy got tasered for refusing to sign a speeding ticket.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r8RmXu6FaeY
Old 11-26-2007

:)

Yep....that officer was over the top (oasis post), at no time was he or anyone else in immediate danger. My advice is to follow directions and do what you are told, so that kind of thing does not happen! He should loose his badge for that....totally uncalled for.
Old 11-26-2007

Regarding the video of the speeding ticket issue, The driver looked like he was going for something in his pocket, and he was bouncing all over the place. So in this instance I can see where the Police Officer had a need to be concerned.
Old 11-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
I would much rather see the police use a taser than a gun. Trying to shoot an enraged moving target in the foot is just about impossible, not to mention dangerous! Even if they hit the person in the foot, that bullet is moving at high speed and will pass through the foot and keep going. Only in the movies would it work. I sure would not want to be somewhere on the other side if this happened

Why should I die from a ricocheting bullet for no more than passing through an area not knowing what is happening?

When an officer pulls his gun he shoots for center body mass. He wants to hit the target were it will stop him. Not for the foot.

On the other hand, there are cops that should be tasered them selves for there use of these.

Take a look at this. This guy got tasered for refusing to sign a speeding ticket.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r8RmXu6FaeY
THAT is bull.... the officer by no means was within his rights, and you can't arrest someone for a speeding ticket...