Turkey Stuffing?? Food & Dining

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Food & Dining

Old 12-15-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Turkey Stuffing??

Turkey Stuffing??

I've never made this really well...want to share your favourite recipes with me?
Old 12-15-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Have you heard of "Get-R-Stuffed"? My friend makes up a bag of spices with the recipe right on it for a bread stuffing. If you want to send me an email and let me know what part of town you live, you might be able to pick some up.
Old 12-15-2009

My grandfather always made the stuffing at my grandparents house, my mom, passed it down to us. Sorry there is no real recipe.....we just go by sense of smell and it turns out great every time.

Bread Stuffing (inside bird)

loaf of stale bread torn into bits
1 medium onion chopped
4-6 pieces of celery chopped
Poultry seasoning
Pepper

I have added a tad bit of summer savory

Tear bread into pieces into roasting pan (grandpa always used a brown paper grocery bag), if the bread is not stale you can leave it overnight in the open pan. Add onion,celery and spices. Toss really well to mix spices, keep sprinkling spices over bread and tossing until you can smell spices from just above pan.

Stuff both ends of bird and cook.
Old 12-15-2009

Mine is very similar to Mrs. B's except I don't use celery and I add equal amounts savory and poultry seasoning and I add 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter or marg. If you have no stale bread just take a loaf and put it into the oven for about 10 minutes on 350 just to harden it a bit.
If you need measured amounts I can try to give you exact amounts. Just let me know. Like Mrs/ B though I play it by feel. many years ago I worked in a restaurant and we used to make potato stuffing.

Don't put this into the bird the night before. Always stuff you bird just before you put it into the oven. You would not want food poisioning for Christmas dinner.
Old 12-15-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I make a potato/sausage stuffing.

This is pretty much how I make it. (I usually just get the regular sausages and take them out of their skin). I always have great comments on it.

Ingredients

• 1 pound lean pork sausage
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
  • 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 9 cups soft bread cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place sausage, potatoes, celery, onion and butter in a large, deep skillet. Saute over medium high heat until sausage is crumbled and evenly cooked.
  3. Combine the bread cubes, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Toss together with the sausage and potato mixture. Add chicken or vegetable broth if needed.
  4. Bake stuffing in a covered casserole dish for 40 to 50 minutes. I usually stuff the bird and bake some in a casserole dish.

Last edited by sanne; 12-15-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Old 12-15-2009

Thanks much all..