Petroleum coke unloaded in Saint John exposed to wind Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 01-04-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Petroleum coke unloaded in Saint John exposed to wind

Petroleum coke unloaded in Saint John exposed to wind

What do you think about this?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi.../pet-coke.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi...lesoncove.html
Old 01-04-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Obviously somebody goofed. They are going to have to make sure that the conveyor is enclosed the whole way so that it doesn't happen again. The whole idea of petroleum coke seems like a step in the opposite direction of the Koyoto Accord, but thanks to the high price of oil, there's what you get. It would be nice if you would see them invest that kind of money in wind or solar energy.

Just a little bit of info for those that don't know, but the majority of VLCC's use bunker C as a fuel source, so maybe they should start looking at an alternate source of fuel for them as well.
Old 01-04-2008

It appears to me that (at times) SJ seems to be moving further behind the times than trying to advance....might as well start producing the Coke here we can follow Sydney NS....I'm sure they'd be proud to have the coke ovens here....

http://www.tarpondscleanup.ca/default.asp?T=2&M=4
Old 01-04-2008

Send a message via MSN to andrea Send a message via Yahoo to andrea

idots,,
plain and simple..
my son is sick ,,,docs and all the studies say its envriomental...go figure,,
Old 01-04-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

WOW...just wow...so I mean from that blowing all over the place, can we get sick from being outside and breathing it in? I mean no brainer, but should I be keeping kids inside for the next little while?
Old 01-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_lover View Post
WOW...just wow...so I mean from that blowing all over the place, can we get sick from being outside and breathing it in? I mean no brainer, but should I be keeping kids inside for the next little while?
You have kids?....I don't know if you need to keep them in....but I'd say it can't be healthy for anyone....I don't know for sure though
Old 01-04-2008

No, lol I don't have kids, but since my house is a zoo, there are lots always over to visit and play with the snake, turtle, lizards, etc...
Old 01-04-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_lover View Post
In all likelihood as long as you weren't in the immediate area, I am sure you would be fine. Although I haven't seen the MSDS on Petroleum Coke, I am sure that there is probably an allowable p.p.m. of exposure for those that were in the immediate area that might have had some inhalation.
Old 01-04-2008

Send a message via MSN to mike_d

This just makes me sick. With the threat of Global Warming and countries pushing for cleaner solutions, NB Power decides to do the opposite just to cut costs. Save their customers some money...lol...ya right....they'll charge the same rates...then up them...then on top of that give us more health problems with air pollution.
Old 01-04-2008

Yeah, I dunno. I think that if they were promising it would not be touched by air and would be covered at all times, that it is super dangerous...
Old 01-06-2008

Someone else mentioned the sydney tar ponds, and that is exactly what I thought when reading these articles....They are still trying to get them all cleaned up, I saw first hand what a mess it did to the community, the people, the homes... All I can say is WOW....
Old 01-06-2008

So you mean to tell me because NBPOWER made a huge mistake a few years back and they are suffering a "loss" that we the taxpaying, nbpower using, citizens, (who are going to get a increase in our rates of upwards of 13%)now have to be endangered just to help them get back on their feet? That seems fair.
I love that saint john has one more thing to be proud of.....

"Coleson Cove is the largest fossil fuel burning power plant east of Ontario, and when it's running at full capacity emits more greenhouse gases than any single plant in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador or Quebec"
Way to go NB POWER!
I can see what is going to happen, were going to end up with 5X the amount of sick kids (and adults too) than we already do becasue they can't be careful enough to prevent wind from coming into contact while it is being delivered???? NICE....
Haven't they learned anything from the sydney tar ponds and coke ovens??

Coke ovens, aluminum smelters, and power plants that burn fossil fuels produce large amounts of PAHs. PAHs that washed down Coke Ovens Brook contaminated the sediment in the Tar Ponds.
There are more than 100 different PAHs. Prolonged exposure to large quantities of some PAHs can cause health problems.
click here to see:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts69.html