The Official "If I ran for city council.." Thread Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 01-04-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: The Official "If I ran for city council.." Thread

The Official "If I ran for city council.." Thread

A lot of people have some really good ideas on this board so I figured I would start a thread on changes or solutions you might have to improve Saint John.

Feel free to add one idea or many! What would you do/change?

Get up stand up, stand up for your right!
Old 01-04-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

First things first, this is supposed to be a down to earth maritime town, so if that is the case than our council members must be down to earth. If they want to travel on our tax paying dollars than they should be made to travel economy.

Second, there is no need for extravagant things when it comes to their offices etc. Overspending on mundane things is a huge issue.

Third, garbage pick up should be on a weekly basis for everyone in the city, not just the South End.

Fourth, about 80% of the streets in this city are in huge disrepair, something must be done to include more into the maintenance budget.

Fifth, more sidewalk plows need to be purchased so that sidewalk clearing can begin in all areas during and after significant snowfall. This is a huge issue when it comes to citizen's safety.

Sixth, city works crews need to be dispatched nightly throughout the city to clean up debris, not just uptown. Also, more refuse containers need to be put in place in city neighbourhoods.

Seventh, all bus shelters should be enclosed and equipped with concealed heating.

Eighth, your turn.....
Old 01-04-2008

back to weekly garbage pick up! Ugh!
Old 01-04-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

make less garbage. there is no need for weekly pickup. if you compost and recycle then it would be hard for a family to have more than 2 bags every 2 weeks. i hardly make one small bag every 2 week so a family of 4 or 5 can surely get away with 2 large bags.
Old 01-04-2008

also,

if elected i would have recycle pickup, fines for putting out too much garbage (2 bag limit every 2 weeks), give fines for idling vehicles, give fines for smoking in bus stops or near them, convert city vehicles to environmentally friendly vehicles, build more bike lanes, enhance public transit, raise taxes on industry and business, lower property taxes on residences, enforce slum landlord laws and enhance them if need be, build more recreational areas, and lure more business uptown.
Old 01-04-2008

They implemented that system years ago, everyone had the green bins. Didn't work out so well.
Old 01-04-2008

How would you get more business uptown Daniel, what kind of changes would you make?
Old 01-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
Third, garbage pick up should be on a weekly basis for everyone in the city, not just the South End.

Could someone please tell me why this city needs soooooooooooooo much garbage pick up? This has got to be one cities with the most garbage in Canada...it's insane...I'm just having a hard time understanding why people either refuse to or can't recycle

(BTW - rhiley_08 this is not directed at you - just in general)

I suppose this should be a whole new thread....but it's just very hard to understand why we have this amount of garbage
Old 01-04-2008

Offer tax incentives for building owners to make their buildings "ready to move in" for businesses. Fine building owners who keep their buildings in disrepair. Possibly eliminate parking fees or reduce them. Oh yeah, make some big bright lights that shine into the sky from Uptown. Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. I'd obviously want to know from businesses some ideas on what would get them to move Uptown.
Old 01-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWatching View Post
Could someone please tell me why this city needs soooooooooooooo much garbage pick up? This has got to be one cities with the most garbage in Canada...it's insane...I'm just having a hard time understanding why people either refuse to or can't recycle

(BTW - rhiley_08 this is not directed at you - just in general)
I agree! I get disgusted driving by some houses on garbage day. 5, 10, 15, more bags of garbage! WTF. I don't understand how people can generate so much garbage. Do they buy nothing but packaged food and heavily packaged goods every day of the week? I just don't get it.
Old 01-04-2008

we certainly have more garbage than 2 bags, but with 5 people it is what it is...and while I am glad dan j you can do it, i can not.

I also dont agree with paying HUGE frickin taxes and then having to fend off the blasted racoons someone can breed on Champlain Drive.

Nor am I impressed with the roads..and how long it took to get champlain dr remotely repaird.

Fix those issues..
Old 01-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan j View Post
I agree! I get disgusted driving by some houses on garbage day. 5, 10, 15, more bags of garbage! WTF. I don't understand how people can generate so much garbage. Do they buy nothing but packaged food and heavily packaged goods every day of the week? I just don't get it.

Since you are so concerned with the garbage, can I drop off my garbage at your house so that you can sort it and see how much you can reduce it?
Old 01-04-2008

Quote:
also,

if elected i would have recycle pickup, fines for putting out too much garbage (2 bag limit every 2 weeks), give fines for idling vehicles, give fines for smoking in bus stops or near them, convert city vehicles to environmentally friendly vehicles, build more bike lanes, enhance public transit, raise taxes on industry and business, lower property taxes on residences, enforce slum landlord laws and enhance them if need be, build more recreational areas, and lure more business uptown.

I am glad that you are so Green, but for some of us that is not feasible or we just plain out don't want to. As for placing fines on everything that you find objectionable, maybe you have something there but in all honesty that would just reinforce the idea of a dictatorship, and personally I like that fact that this country provides us with the great freedom to do as we want. (within the confines of the law of course)
Old 01-04-2008

a mixed message for both puppyluv and rhiley (remove what doesn't apply to what you said):

Why can't you manage your own garbage?

It is what it is sounds like a cop-out. Have you ever actually made yourself a garbage plan? Do you think about the garbage you'll make before buying something? Do you recycle and compost?
Old 01-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
I am glad that you are so Green, but for some of us that is not feasible or we just plain out don't want to. As for placing fines on everything that you find objectionable, maybe you have something there but in all honesty that would just reinforce the idea of a dictatorship, and personally I like that fact that this country provides us with the great freedom to do as we want. (within the confines of the law of course)
That makes no sense. Freedoms are not infinite! When your freedom causes harm to others it is not your right to continue to act that way. Needlessly producing excess garbage and not contributing to the good of society hurts everyone else, including your kids(future kids) and their grandchildren. Stop being so selfish. We live in a different World now and garbage does not just "go away". It has to go someplace and eventually we'll all have to face our ways. This is in no way reinforcing the idea of a dictatorship.
Old 01-04-2008

For having so much garbage we must be doing something right.

Didn't we win one of the top places for "Cleanest city in Canada" a couple years ago?
Old 01-04-2008

We are a family of 4 and we definatly put out more than 2 bags of garbage every two weeks.LOL We probably put about 5 -6 bags every 2 weeks. I used to compost and do the green bins in NS (it is law down there) but here we just don't have the room to compost and there is no recycling system here that I know of. If you could tell me who to contact about recycling and composting that would be great. Danj, what is a garbage plan? Does that just mean thinking before buying something? I honestly am curious. Thanks!
Any tips on how to cut down our garbage would be great too. I truly feel that is something we all need to cut down on. Mind you I have 2 kids in diapers/potty training so there is a lot of diapers, they cannot be recycled or composted as far as I know?
Old 01-04-2008

Quote:
a mixed message for both puppyluv and rhiley (remove what doesn't apply to what you said):

Why can't you manage your own garbage?

It is what it is sounds like a cop-out. Have you ever actually made yourself a garbage plan? Do you think about the garbage you'll make before buying something? Do you recycle and compost?
Apparently you can manage your garbage effeciently, so I was just asking for you to manage mine as well. I am one of those houses that you drive by in disgust so if you'd like you can help me do my part.
Old 01-04-2008

When it comes to garbage, especially at Christmas time, can you tell me how you can manage to have 2 bags in 2 weeks, I had more like 30. 4 kids each with a lot of presents, each of which had packaging, and as far as I know most of it isn't recycleable.
Old 01-04-2008

All this discussion of a Garbage System reminds me of when Homer ran for Council and spent his whole budget on Garbage.