Now ppl want to create children With disabilities??? General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 12-27-2007

Default Topic: Now ppl want to create children With disabilities???

Now ppl want to create children With disabilities???

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3087367.ece

I saw this on another board. This is what i had to say:

I think that is absolutely ridiculous! To fit in better with the family lifestyle? that's obsurd. Deaf parents can teach a hearing child to sign language AND it can have all the advantages of a hearing child as well. Why would a parent deliberately put a hardship onto their children? That is just plain selfish in my opinion.

"Disability charities say this makes the proposed legislation discriminatory, because it gives parents the right to create “designer babies” free from genetic conditions while banning couples from deliberately creating a baby with a disability. " (ok.. that right there is like one of those things you hear that makes your head want to explode because it can't understand it lol)

O.M.G Banning parents from making their child deaf?... oh how horrible *rolls eyes*. Ok.. i'm not all for any kind of designer babies.. I'm just not "there" yet.. it's playing with things we don't know a whole lot about yet (as in these designer babies haven't lived a full life yet. But whatever ) But the whole point of creating them free from genetic conditions that are possibly difficult to live with, is therefore giving your child the best chance at life.

Why would a parent want to keep their child from the joys of hearing music, playing music, listening to the birds sing, the sound of the rain, laughter, whistle of the wind, the sound of their name, they'd never get the chance to be truely scared watching a horror movie because it's the music that Really gets you..and well.. ... all the sounds of the world are practicly stolen from the child when you design them to be deaf.. What is next... choosing a blind baby? Oh and don't stop there, blind/deaf parents might want a blind/deaf child.. and for what.. so it's easier to look after? This makes me SICK. If you want a deaf child so you dn't have to deal with your child being able to do something you can't.. adopt one in need of a home.. or don't have any at all!! Sick sick sick !!

THey should NOT pass whatever they need to pass in order for it to be ok for parents to do this. This world has to STOPPPPPPPPp giving into everyone that crys discrimination!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not allowing someone to use a certain rest room because they are black, That is discrimination. Not hiring someone for a job based on the fact they are in a wheelchair, That is discrimination. Not allowing deaf ppl to CHOOSE to CREATE a deaf child.... that is not discrimination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because you're not allowed to do something, doesn't mean it's discriminatory! In this case, it's looking after the welfare of the child.. something these wannabe parents apparently know nothing about. In my opinion, Choosing to Create a child with a disability such as this is a form of abuse.

Oh yeah, and this may sound a bit crude.. but if they Do pass it, and ppl CAN choose to create deaf children.. those ppl should not be able to apply for any kind of benefits or whatever specificlly for the deaf. If they can pay all that money to create a child with a disability.. they should make sure they have enough to cover what they need, whatever that may be.

Oh one more thing lol
If i was a kid that found out i was deaf basicly because my parents chose it.. i would probably be mad at them. And that whole.. if they didn't.. then i wouldn't be here.. explanation wouldn't fly.
Old 12-27-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

wow...just wow...why? would? you? want? to? have? a? child? with? a? disability??? I mean if my child was born deaf or blind, I would accept it, and love my child. But by no means would I wish it on them!!!
Old 12-27-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Wanted: One child missing three limbs...blind...and deaf if possible....Please do all you can for us...as my husband is blind and missing an arm....I'm deaf and missing two legs....we believe with our combination of missing parts that this child will be successful in our home as we're dealing with the same issues...and we would not want a healtly, able bodied child....we feel that by giving the child every possible disadvantage we are doing what is best for him/her.

GOD help us all....someone better....everyday it's something...something sicker than the day before....there needs to be some people in charge that are willing to stand up to these nut cases and say NOOOOOOOOOOOO not a chance in hell....discrimination or not....too bad for you
Old 12-27-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Well apparently they are not all there.

I just read the article and completely agree with you! It says in the Article.. "other people are allowed to choose embryos that will be ‘like them’, sharing the same characteristics, language and culture, then we believe that deaf people should have the same right.”

that is not the issue, the issue is ONLY choosing an embryo because you WANT your child to be deaf.

The only logic i can see here is the parents wanting a child that will communicate effectively with them,, but a child born into a deaf family will communicate effectively whether they are deaf or not. There is absolutely no sense in depriving your child from sound.. just ebcause you are. Language and Cultre have no bearing when considering bringing a child into the world only because they are deaf! You bring your children up to be what they are , it doesnt matter where they are from, or what language they parents spoke.. It is what you teach them. Unfortunately, choosing to have a child suffer for your pwn personal reasons makes no sense..

Just MO
Old 12-27-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Some deaf people apparently feel that by screening out deaf embryos, they are saying that they want to "do away with" deaf people altogether. That is ridiculous, since accidents and disease can also cause deafness. Since genetic screening is done by only a small percentage of prospective parents, it would be a long time before all hereditary deafness is eliminated. While I agree with genetic testing for life-threatening disabilities, if the embryo was considered "not viable" only due to deafness, I would have a problem with that, as being deaf is not terminal and does not make it impossible for you to live a normal life and care for yourself. If deaf parents want to go through the screening process to make sure their child doesn't grow up to have a debilitating disease like CF, MS, Crohn's etc and the embryo HAPPENS to have the genes for deafness, so be it. But if all other factors are equal, two healthy embryos whose only difference is one will hear and one won't, why would you pick the one that will have a harder life?