Taser use should be banned everywhere! General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 11-26-2007

Default Topic: Taser use should be banned everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaa View Post
Regarding the video of the speeding ticket issue, The driver looked like he was going for something in his pocket, and he was bouncing all over the place. So in this instance I can see where the Police Officer had a need to be concerned.
Bouncing all over the place? Hardly!
Old 11-26-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Are you kidding me? The video about the speeding ticket, completely uncalled for, all because he refused to sign for the ticket, and as for him following his instructions, he did turn around like the officer said and when he did that's when the officer shot him in the back. Come on, please someone tell me how that's justified.
Old 11-26-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaa View Post
Regarding the video of the speeding ticket issue, The driver looked like he was going for something in his pocket, and he was bouncing all over the place. So in this instance I can see where the Police Officer had a need to be concerned.
But the officer never asked him to remove his hand from his pocket. I would agree that he had a right to be concerned. But he should have instructed this man to remove his hand from his pocket before using the taser.
Old 11-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
THAT is bull.... the officer by no means was within his rights, and you can't arrest someone for a speeding ticket...
Actually until the officer releases you at the scene, you are considered under arrest. At least in some states. If you refuse to sign the ticket it usually means you will have to go to court to defend yourself. But the officer really didn't try to defuse the situation. He went right for the taser.

Police forces need clearly defined guidelines for the use of tasers. Just like with the side arms. But I do not believe they should be banned. If you ban them, then police should also be banned from carrying guns.

Could you imagine what it would be like if the criminals knew the police were completely unarmed!!!!!
Old 11-26-2007
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

The point is that people all over the world are getting the equivilent to the chair.. before they've even gotten to hear their rights.
Old 11-26-2007

In both these cases,I feel there was no need to use this weapon. Can you imagine the pain of the family of first man who died as the result of the attack? I am sure they must have seen it too. We do not know how long he was waiting and very afraid, confused, and could not comunicate to understand what was happening to him. I did not see any attempt to do CPR as well. This was an unnecessary death and very unfortunate for his family. I also noticed what looked like one of the officers hit him when he was down. Not sure but it looked that way to me.
The second video clearly shows to me there was undue force used here. I wonder what the judge thought?
I also know police need to protect themselves but not at a cost of a life when it is this unsafe. There were other measures that could have been used. I do not feel the life of an officer was a threatened.
Old 11-27-2007

Come on

Lets see, you got a rather large guy in a major Airport, acting crazy, tearing the place up, being aggressive, breaking things, throwing chairs, and not following the R.C.M.P's direction or orders. What should they do hit him with a pillow? It's rather sad that it ended the way it did, but I would say the officers were justified in using their taser....he was a time bomb, and that situation would of went really bad, really quick had they not of stopped him.

Last edited by T-Diddy; 11-27-2007 at 07:18 AM..
Old 11-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Diddy View Post
Lets see, you got a rather large guy in a major Airport, acting crazy, tearing the place up, being aggressive, breaking things, throwing chairs, and not following the R.C.M.P's direction or orders. What should they do hit him with a pillow? It's rather sad that it ended the way it did, but I would say the officers were justified in using their taser....he was a time bomb, and that situation would of went really bad, really quick had they not of stopped him.

You can view any situation as you see fit, but in all honesty how is a man that doesn't speak english going to understand orders that are said in English? Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, they were a little to quick to jump the gun so to speak? Shouldn't they have at least made an attempt to try to open a line of communication first? What if that was you in a foreign country, not having a clue what was going on? Not knowing whether the police in this country are sensible or not.
Old 11-27-2007

Please.

I've been in foreign countries where I did not speak the language, and I can tell you that I never tossed chairs, broke computers, or became aggressive in an airport! And on another note, Thats why the police wear uniforms, what did he think they were a marching band?
Old 11-27-2007

I didn't mean it to be smart, all that I am is saying is that someone should have made an effort to find out what the man's problem was, maybe he was mentally or physically distraught. Also, the fact that there was 4 RCMP officers, they should have been able to detain him without the taser. Also, was it really necessary to taser him a second time, when he was already on the ground, in pain with the officers on top of him?
Old 11-27-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

"Some say that for those already agitated, high on cocaine or other drugs or have existing heart problems, the Taser can inhibit breathing and become lethal."

Ok assuming that is correct....could we not say that the taser could be lethal for almost anyone? I know the police are not walking down main street and just letting the taser fly....hitting anyone for no reason. However by the time it gets to the point that a taser is used the person is almost ALWAYS irate/agitated....we would never know if the person has a heart condition (they may not know themselves)....and as far as them being high on some drug we could only guess.

I truely do not believe that it takes MORE than one time being tasered to stop anyone....there is never a need for a second...third...forth shot. One shot is enough (for one person) if need be.

Also this whole idea of being held face down with a mans knee in your throat AFTER being tasered....how could anyone breath? I mean the taser itself would be enough to take your breath away....then being thrown to the grown with about 200lbs of pressure on your head/neck/upper back...no wonder people are dying.

With all this being said I totally agree that police need to be safe....I just feel that sometimes those types of jobs (police/military etc) are a breeding ground if someone already has violent tendancies....It at times is a place where these people take out their anger on innocent people....they need to be in charge...in power...and they will taser someone not that it is necessary....but simply because they can....
Old 11-27-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
Maybe you should watch the video first, and than tell us that it was necessary for them to taser him. The whole issued boiled down to the inability to communicate with a man that was obviously distraught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHKk5qQRzL4
Can anyone say abuse of power?? I saw both this and the speeding ticket taser and am absolutely angered by them. No these men in both instances were not a threat. The Russian at the airport was obviously confused about something, trying to communicate but not being understood. It wasn't until the police surrounded him that he became violent. The other man on the side of the highway merely asked how fast he was over the speed limit and wasn't given an answer. He didn't sign because he probably wasn't speeding or why wouldn't the officer tell him how fast he was going?? Also if you notice at the end when the second officer questioned him he said he told the man to turn around or he would taser him but in fact there was no warning.

Yes tasers are safer than guns but in the hands of violent ego centered over powered officers?? Heck No!!
Old 11-27-2007

:(

The second guy did not deserve to be tasered, however he was being an idiot. If you think your being unjustly ticketed, take the ticket and dispute it in court. That is the basis of our whole justice system...innocent until proven guilty! He wanted to leave and go look for a sign, come on!

Last edited by T-Diddy; 11-27-2007 at 09:16 AM..
Old 11-27-2007
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

With the airport incident the fact is that he wondered around the Airport for about 11 hours before anyone even noticed him, also the Airport Manager apologized to the Man's Family yesterday, taking some Responsibity. Who wouldn't be under stress, They should post signs in all Languages at Airports.
Old 11-27-2007

The media is blowing the Taser negativity WAY out of proportion. The media is only showing the negative effects of the Taser (IE the deaths ASSOCIATED with the Taser) The media won't show the positive usage of it. Think of how many times per day in North America that the Taser is deployed by law enforcement agencies and Correctional Institutions without serious side effects... are those shown in the media? Nope. Will they show a story where the Taser was used to subdue a bad guy rather than killing him with the officers side arm? Probably not...
Do your research, the taser has never been the CAUSE of death in any of the cases. They may be "Taser Related"... if you do your research, you'll learn about Excited Delerium. Then do some research on that... you'll get answers soon enough.
Someone that is in a rage may not be affected by pepper spray, therefor, potentially putting the officers life in jeopardy. Guns kill people... should we remove a police officers side arm and maybe go back to British style Bobby's? Nah, I don't think so!!

Last edited by Tremc; 11-27-2007 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Imma horrible speller!!
Old 11-27-2007

:)

Tremc, you hit the nail right on the head. You could not be anymore right!

Pip..Pip
Old 11-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremc View Post
The media is blowing the Taser negativity WAY out of proportion. The media is only showing the negative effects of the Taser (IE the deaths ASSOCIATED with the Taser) The media won't show the positive usage of it. Think of how many times per day in North America that the Taser is deployed by law enforcement agencies and Correctional Institutions without serious side effects... are those shown in the media? Nope. Will they show a story where the Taser was used to subdue a bad guy rather than killing him with the officers side arm? Probably not...
Do your research, the taser has never been the CAUSE of death in any of the cases. They may be "Taser Related"... if you do your research, you'll learn about Excited Delerium. Then do some research on that... you'll get answers soon enough.
Someone that is in a rage may not be affected by pepper spray, therefor, potentially putting the officers life in jeopardy. Guns kill people... should we remove a police officers side arm and maybe go back to British style Bobby's? Nah, I don't think so!!
It's not at all the the media is blowing it out of proportion, it has become an issue because people are dying. It has become an issue because on numerous occasions police have used them when they weren't warranted. If they were not creating a problem than there would be nothing for the media to report.
You can look at it with the attitude of they deserve what they get, but have some empathy for those people and their families. What if that was you, running into an officer who did trust anyone and automatically takes you as a threat, even though you might be the most non-threatening person. Is that fair to you, that that cop made an assumption about you that was unfounded?
Old 11-27-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
It's not at all the the media is blowing it out of proportion, it has become an issue because people are dying. It has become an issue because on numerous occasions police have used them when they weren't warranted. If they were not creating a problem than there would be nothing for the media to report.
You can look at it with the attitude of they deserve what they get, but have some empathy for those people and their families. What if that was you, running into an officer who did trust anyone and automatically takes you as a threat, even though you might be the most non-threatening person. Is that fair to you, that that cop made an assumption about you that was unfounded?
That's a good point
Old 11-27-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

[quote=oasis;184352]Actually until the officer releases you at the scene, you are considered under arrest. At least in some states. If you refuse to sign the ticket it usually means you will have to go to court to defend yourself. But the officer really didn't try to defuse the situation. He went right for the taser.

Thats completely wrong!! You are not under arrest until they say you are. Just because a cop pulls you over and says whatever or does whatever doesn't mean your under arrest. Your under arrest when they say you are and starts reading your rights.
Old 11-27-2007

The way I see it, is if the situation does not call for a gun, it does not call for a taser.