Anybody dieting out there? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 06-28-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Anybody dieting out there?

Anybody dieting out there?

I just started a diet again on Monday. UGGG I hate to diet. Like almost everyone else overweight, I am trying to lose some of myself again.When I diet, all I think about is food. Suddenly everything that I didn't care to eat last week, now I crave (like ice cream). I never eat ice cream but when I diet, I absolutely crave it. Stupid or what? I want to lose 40 lbs by xmas. Wish me luck.

The worse thing is that I am not a happy dieter. I get cranky, crabby and downright irate. LOL Heaven help the poor soul who tries to give me a hard time in the next 6 months. LOL. Anybody else dieting out there and can understand the four letter blues?

I'm not sure this is the right thread. If not this will get moved.
Old 06-28-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Good luck on your diet.

Last edited by beachnut; 06-29-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Old 06-28-2008

You may be right Beachnut but you are not me and what works for some does not work for everyone. We are not all clones. If weight loss were easy there'd be no fat people out there. Don't you think?

Anytime you change your eating patterns, it's called dieting. Even if it includes lifestyle changes. You are effectively changing your food intake.

The last time I went on this particular diet I stayed on it for 18 months, lost 120 lbs and kept it off for almost 14 years. So for me this works.

Thank you for your good wishes Beachnut.

Actually after the weight starts coming off and you start to see a difference then yes I guess you do become a happy dieter. Just not yet. LOL.

Last edited by inuit; 06-30-2008 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: ..
Old 06-28-2008

I'm in the process of a lifestyle change, or diet I guess as you call it. I guess for me the difference between the two is a diet is completely food related, while with a lifestyle change there is a physical fitness component and a mental wellness component as well. I started with the exercise component and after losing the first 20 lbs, started on the food part- I've since lost an additional 34 lbs (so 54lbs total) with another 66 to go! The next part of the plan is mental wellness, which for me is less TV, more reading, and going back to school part time in the fall! I don't have time to be cranky while I'm losing the weight, I'm too busy!

As you said, everyone is different though, and I do wish you well as you start your diet!
s
Old 06-29-2008

Marigold, OMG that's womderful! 54 lbs is a lot . You must be so proud of yourself! Takes determination. I'm sure the next 66 will come off too. Congratulations! I got on the scale this am and I've lost 6 lbs. Doesn't sound like much but the longest journey starts with a single step. Don't know who said that but it's true.

Yes I agree, you do need to change your lifestyle but I am handicapped and therefore not able to do much physical stuff. I do what I can but it's not that much. For me I'll mostly rely on the food part. But you are right you do need to change your behaviour and try to do something different.

Hopefully I'll find something to do to be busier. I used to play darts years ago but haven't played in almost ten years. Sometimes I find that being too busy you get hungry and grab something on the run that you wouldn't have eaten if you had stopped and thought about it.

Thank you for your well wishes and I wish you all the success with yours!
Old 06-29-2008

Props to you inuit. Your weight loss is great. Perhaps as the weight comes off you will be able to become more physically active. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies when it comes to pain and physical activity.
marigold, congrats on your lifestyle change; you "got it" sister. Keep up what you're doing as it is working for you!
Old 06-29-2008

im trying to diet. im a 21 yr old with 2 kids. 18 months and 5 months. i had a c-setion with my first and i gained ALOT of weight (alomst 100 lbs) during my pregnacy. and right after him i was perg again. so i didnt have time to lose any weight.I lost about 30 lbs before i was perg again. and i only gained about 30 lbs for my 2nd son. so when i had my 2nd son i was about 180lbs now im 154lbs. its all belly tho. im trying my hardest to cut out the mcdonalds, (any fast food) . and junk food. im drinking alot more water and walking alot.
Old 06-29-2008

Thanks! I have to say one major support has been friends and family. When I told everyone I was determined this time to lose the weight, everyone got right behind me, in a non-judgemental, non-nagging way. I've been on a bit of a plateau lately (due to a herniated disk-ouch!), but I'm sure once I'm over that hurdle, the weight will come off!
Old 06-29-2008

Thanks for your kind words sanstu. Hopefully you will be right about the weight loss/ activity level.

Sounds like you're on the right track newmommie. Losing weight is so hard.
Good luck with staying out of McD. Hard to give up something that you really.

Marigold. great that you have lots of support. Get better soon and get off that plateau. It's a horrible place to be. I well remember.
Old 07-02-2008

http://www.michaelpollan.com/in_defense_excerpt.pdf

I find it interesting that a diet thread is in Health & Wellness and not in the Food & Dining.
Old 07-02-2008

How so? Diet books at the bookstore are not in the cookbook section, they are under health and Wellness as well.
Old 07-02-2008

If you read the link I posted you'll know exactly how so. It's the fact that food has been taken away from us and put in the realm of nutritionalism that is the how so. Either way, read the intro to that book. I'm going to pick up the book tonight. It's from the same author as Omnivore's Dilemma.

I'm sure it'll be a great read based upon the intro and also hearing the author this morning on CBC's The Current.
Old 07-02-2008

Yeah, I saw the author on The Hour last night . I was a rerun because I remember seeing him on there before.

I started this thread in food and dining because when you diet all you think about is "food and dining" LOL.

As I said eariler, I've been on this diet before with good results. Back to basics. Calories in and calories out. Each lb weighs 3500 calories. If one consumes 3500 less calories= 1 lb of weight loss. But first you need to calculate how many calories you need to maintain your current body weight.

I've tried ALL of the new age "food plans" because nobody dares use the word diet anymore, with very little results. Frustrating! Canada food guide is for the birds if you're trying to lose a lot of weight. I was on that for over a year. The weight comes off so slowly you get fed up and stray. Given the choice between a garden salad and a burger, burger wins way too often.

I've just started this diet so it's way too early to tell. We will see what 8 weeks says.

Last edited by inuit; 07-02-2008 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: ..
Old 07-02-2008

inuit, I think you have it in you to rid yourself of this burden you feel about food and diets and exercise.

myself, being about 30 lbs overweight, have given up on all "nutrional science" and am going to go with a real food "diet". as least food labels as possible and eating more fruits and veggies in season and local as i can. also, eating more foods that are not "chicken, beef, pork" or "corn, rice, wheat, soy" as possible. of course, those are the main meats and grains we have available but i'm going to seek out those foods that we've forgotten along the way since "food science" starting choosing what we eat as if we didn't know how to eat for centuries before.
Old 07-03-2008

Oh my dan j, 30 lbs. I only wish. I need to lose a lot more than that. I totally understand what you are saying and if you are able to make this work for you long term, I applaud you. I've never been able to get the "eat right-exercise more" to work for me.

I would never advocate my diet for anyone else, but for me it has worked well in the past so hopefully it'll work for me again. I'm on the waiting list for baratric surgery but from here it looks like a 3-4 year wait.

After just having a heart attack , it's pretty scary being this big. I feel I need to do something now.

Last edited by inuit; 07-07-2008 at 08:09 AM..
Old 07-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Oh my dan j, 30 lbs. I only wish. I need to lose 150 lbs at least. I totally understand what you are saying and if you are able to make this work for you long term, I applaud you. I've never been able to get the "eat right-exercise more" to work for me.

I would never advocate my diet for anyone else, but for me it has worked well in the past so hopefully it'll work for me again. I'm on the waiting list for baratric surgery but from here it looks like a 3-4 year wait.

After just having a heart attack , it's pretty scary being this big. I feel I need to do something now.

Awe, but you ARE doing something!!! Cutting back on meat is probably the best thing you can do for your body, you'll need to find another source of b 12 and iron. But it's really the best thing you can do. People who eat little to no meat have he least instances of heart disease, cancer, actually... the least instances of any kind of health problems. It's all about moderation I guess. But since I've stopped eating meat, (quite some time ago) I went from being constantly sick, to losing a bunch of weight, and I feel just fantastic!

Refined sugars are the absolute worst. but we all already knew that.
Old 07-03-2008

raw potatoes are pretty bad too i hear

edit: also, i didn't get around to picking up the book yesterday but will today.

Last edited by dan j; 07-03-2008 at 11:58 AM..
Old 07-03-2008

donteat, did you know that vegans get their b12 from the plaque off their teeth? True. Vitamin b12 comes ONLY from animal meat. Iron is found in leafy green vegetables.

I am inuit I love meat. This diet is really severe the only way for me to stay on it is to take a day off every 5-6 days. Otherwise my body might think it was starving and slow down metabolisim. This gives it a boost.

Last edited by inuit; 04-21-2009 at 10:55 AM..
Old 07-03-2008

Tomorrow is weigh day. One week since I started.I'll let you know if I've lost any flab. Wish me flablessness.
Old 07-03-2008

What kind of a diet are you on? I'm not a vegan, I some times drink milk, and I eat eggs (mostly the whites)