Travelling to Cuba Travel & Tourism

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Travel & Tourism

Old 01-04-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Travelling to Cuba

Travelling to Cuba

Will be travelling to Cuba this winter. I was told to take small gifts for the hotel staff and children in the towns we will be visiting. Other than the usual candy and school supplies does anyone have any other suggestions of items to take. I guess if anyone is aware of goods that may be in short supply or not available in this country.

I would really like to take useful items with me to hand out. I plan on taking dollar store items to use when I am there and leave behind on departure for the hotel staff.

Any other travel tips for Cuba would also be helpful. Trips outside the resort that were worthwhile, that sort of thing.

Thanks and I can't wait to get out of this deepfreeze.
Old 01-04-2008

I think I have heard that the the women appreciate nylons. that it's a luxury for them.
Old 01-04-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Bring some small clothing items like dollar store sunglasses, ball caps, t-shirts. I had a guy in Havana offer me all of his money for the hat off my head. I ended up just giving it to him. Some people are very poor and giving them a small present when you're on tour will light up their day. The kids LOVE candy.
Make sure if you're off the resort to not drink the water or eat things that are washed in water like salad. Buy bottled water. Getting sick can ruin your trip.
The best side trip we took in Cuba was the one to Havana. It's like stepping back in time...Have a great trip!!!
Old 01-04-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Thumbs up Topic: Travelling to Cuba

Cuba Rocks!!!

I think you'll enjoy the trip. I liked it so much I went twice. People are very friendly. and yes do take the side trip to Havana. (architecture is awesome).
Another trip to take would be the River Canamar if your close to it (it's a whole day trip but well worth the time and money).

As for stuff to take: tooth brushes, tooth paste, coloring books, shampoo, gum, nice soaps and things of that nature as well as hats and t shirts.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!:thu mbsup:

Last edited by stompintomconnor; 01-04-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: ps.... don't forget the security gaurds at the resort.
Old 01-07-2008

The River Canamar trip is that far or available from Varadero? I will be travelling with two teenagers would that be interesting for them?

Has anyone taken the trip to swim with the dolphins. I have had conflicting reports. Some say that it is very sad and others say worth the time and money.

What about shopping? Any great bargains to be had? What sorts of things to look for. We do not smoke cigars or drink rum.
Old 01-07-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I know that small medical items like bandaids and polysporin etc are really needed.....nothing that would be considered a "drug" but things that can improve your condition
Old 01-08-2008

Cuba

I just got back from Havana (we went from December 28th-Jan 3). I've been to Cuba five other times, but this was my first time to that part of the country. It's fantastic!

The ladies love pantyhose/nylons down there...We also bought hair dye with us, very popular. Also, my mom buys all her clothes for Cuba at Value Village, wears them down there, and leaves them. It's especially appreciated, as my mom is plus-sized (as am I) and larger clothes are harder to find down there. Candy is hugely popular. For the men, ball caps. Also they love any kind of sports equipment. One guy we met down there had brought a bunch of ball gloves with him- he was the hit of the hotel!

s
Old 01-09-2008

I hear the city is very safe to visit. The pictures on the internet look amazing. Did you convert your money here or at the hotel or banks in Havana. Can you get by with English and a few Spanish words. We will be staying in a resort in Varadera and travelling to Havana for a day trip. Can you shop in Havana? What sorts of things are the best buys?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2008

Havana...

I felt very safe travelling in Havana...We were approached a few times for money or things, but we just ignored them and kept walking. I don't know any spanish and had no trouble. There is a great market right as you arrive in old Havana, lots of tourist trinkets there for you to buy. Near the Capitol Building there are stores as well, but they were closed when we went by, so I can't tell you much about them. I exchanged my money at an exchange place close to our hotel, but you can change it at the airport or at the hotel, and there are banks too.

s
Old 01-09-2008

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2008

Another quick question. Can you use your Canadian debit card at the hotel or bank to obtain funds to exchange to pesos or should I carry cash. Do not have credit cards.
Old 01-11-2008

Good Question...

I'm not sure about the debit card, I wouldn't chance it...I don't have a credit card either, I just took cash. I did see an ATM once in Havana, but I didn't try it out! Where will you be staying?
Old 01-11-2008

Staying at Club Amigo resort in Varadero. We will only travel to Havana for a day trip. What other places are worth a day trip. I have been reading about Trinadad on the internet. Have you every gone there? I have been told to carry tissues and hand sanitizer off the resort as washroom facilities if available are not up to our standards.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

If you don't want to carry cash You can get a prepaid travel mastercard from BMO( bank of montreal) It takes about 5 days to get it in the mail, and you go into the branch and load it up.

http://www4.bmo.com/personal/0,2273,...950807,00.html
Old 01-12-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Debit cards

No, debit cards are no good there, however you can use credit cards as long as you have your travel visa with you for id.
Old 01-12-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

get home money

Don't forget to put your get out of cuba money away so you can get back on the plane. I know when I was there it was 20 bucks you had to pay at the airport and it had to be cash. Not sure if the price is the same now but check it out when you land or through your travel agent.
Old 01-16-2008

Does anyone know if you can get tea at the restaurants in Cuba or should I pack a few tea bags. We are staying at an all inclusive hotel and I would assume they are available, but would hate to go for a week tealess.
Old 01-17-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompintomconnor View Post
As for stuff to take: tooth brushes, tooth paste, coloring books, shampoo, gum, nice soaps and things of that nature as well as hats and t shirts.
Just remember, size and quantity counts when you are taking liquids, gels and food when going through the security at the airports.
Best of luck and Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

I have actually been to the Caribbean twice on missions trips. If you wanted to do something different, you can give out Bibles. I had so many store clerks asking us for Bibles. I told them the next time i go that i will bring some to pass out. Another thing instead of buying something would be to devote some time to them. Ask if they need anything fixed in their yards or at schools. We went into elementary schools passing out school supplies and Bibles and the principle there had been waiting a couple years for the school sign to be put up. We couldnt do it because we didnt have the tools and they didnt either, but they wouldve appreciated it so much. Try something different, they will appreciate it!
Old 02-08-2008

Leaving for Cuba on Monday!!!! Any last minute advice.

Thanks guys you have been very helpful.