Aliant Fibre Op General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 09-07-2010
New Member (< 10 posts)

Default Topic: Aliant Fibre Op

This weekend I happened to see a FibreOp van parked in front of my house so naturally, I took the opportunity to "harass" the tech

He said he does not really know any timelines for sure, but he can say that because all of our infrastructure is underground that they will most likely save it until the end of their rolllout. He said if he had to "guess", that it would not be available in this area until some time in the first half of next year.
Old 09-24-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I just called Aliant and I'm getting hooked up around the end of October (damn Rogers and their 30 day notice).

The woman on the phone said something about possibly drilling through the floor.

Do they need to drill through my floor? I'm not really prepared for that, we just refinished hardwood floors last year.
Old 09-24-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

they didnt drill through mine, i imagine it all depends on where in the household you want everything run. The were able to just come straight through the exterior wall for me
Old 09-28-2010

Could you please explain to this technically challenged person what this is all about...I had a phone call today from Aliant but hubby asked them to call back tomorrow....
currently my phone & internet is with Aliant but tv is with Rogers
what would be the advantage to my switching and what would be the cost?
thanks much for your input.
Old 09-28-2010

Fiber Op is a different type of delivery for Aliants Internet Tv and phone, different style of cables which allows more bandwith to get to its end destination. If you upgrade to fiber op the most noticeable difference in my opinion would be your internet speed. I didnt actually get the tv so i cant speak for that, but the internet was drastically faster. I upgraded from the highest package that they had previously offered, and in total its costing me an extra $13 per month to go from 12mbps down/ 1mbps upload, to 25mbps down/ 5mbps upload.
Old 10-01-2010

i just got the service a week ago and i love it...so happy to be rid of rogers..
Old 10-01-2010

For gamers, in WoW my latency has dropped in half, to about 70-80ms ping.
Old 10-03-2010

I just moved into a new apartment and aliant has already changed routers.They went from the 2wire system to an actiontech r1000h, its a wireless N router. has anyone else recieved one yet?
Old 10-12-2010
New Member (< 10 posts)

My wife called me this morning saying she saw lines being painted on the roads in my subdivision in redhead this morning with diggers standing by...hopefully....
Old 10-13-2010

Hydrants are being installed.........so there goes the good water.
Old 10-30-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Can the digital boxes to receive the HDTV be purchased from a 3rd party? If so is there a limit as to how many TVs the 25\5 service can handle?
Old 11-02-2010

The boxes we had installed by the fiber-op installers are made by motorola. All the boxes are the same except for the one with pvr. We were told that they are all HDTV compatible, you get one on HD for free, any others you have to pay a fee for and all you have to do is call and they flick a switch. I asked because we are thinking about purchasing another HDTV and wanted to know before hand what we needed to do.
Old 11-10-2010

Just a notice concerning the installtion of the fibre op. Just because you saw the vans going through your neighborhood running lines underground does not mean it will be available to you. Engineers must come back and install additional equipment that allows for the lines to run to your house.

I have heard lots of complaints of people setting up their appointments for installations and thus cancelling their internet, phone and television only to be told when the installer arrives that it cannot be done and it could be sometime before it will be available.
Old 11-11-2010

Apparently as long as I live in the apartment I'm in, I won't be able to get this. The building would have to be all rewired as it's a very old apartment building. The company who owns the building won't do this so it really sucks to be me. I hate Rogers and have canceled my cable with them anyways!
Old 11-11-2010

to install the fiber op they have to re-wire anyways as the run a different cable into the building, and when i moved whether i could ge fiber op or not was one of my deciding factors lol
Old 11-13-2010

Yeah I know they have to re-wire but Aliant wants the company who owns the building to pay for the re-wiring and the company won't. Whether I can get fiber op is not a deciding factor where I live either, it's just annoying for me as I would like to have Aliant tv and can't! It is available in my area just not my building!
Old 11-14-2010

there was no charge for them to come out and install the wire at either of the places I lived at, because they were just wiring the one apt not the entire builiding, its no different then any other install just a diff type of wire
Old 11-15-2010

Lucky you! Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. The way the wiring is set up for my building it would require Aliant to rewire the whole building even for one apartment. There are 78 apartments in my building. We looked into why the service is available in our area but not our building and we were told by someone we know who works for aliant that the whole building needs to be rewired and aliant will not pay for it cause it would be too much $$$. The company who owns the building will not pay for it. Therefore I won't be able to have it as long as I live there which sucks. I know what I'm talking about I looked into it all already. I also know why the owners of the building won't pay for. Anyhoo, just stating that it sucks for me!
Old 11-15-2010

Send a message via MSN to andrea Send a message via Yahoo to andrea

i love my fibre op!
Old 11-15-2010

Lightbulb Topic: Aliant Fibre Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post
i love my fibre op!

Thats sums it all up.............well said...me tooooo.....lol