Crazy Power Bill? Home & Garden

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Home & Garden

Old 01-14-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Crazy Power Bill?

Crazy Power Bill?

I received my electric bill from Saint John Energy yesterday, only to find it had increase 4-fold in one month! I called to find out if they could come re-read the meter, since I'm pretty sure there's no way I could have used that much additional power, considering that December wasn't that cold, and we were away for a few days as well. The lady I spoke to said that they already did a second reading. I asked if there was any way I could have some sort of review done, since it seemed like such a high increase, but she said there was nothing they could do, I just had to pay the bill? This seems a bit off, surely there must be some sort of way to appeal a bill- Is it possible that my meter has gone wacky? Can I request that they install a new meter?

Any suggestions appreciated....
Old 01-14-2010

Our bill in Rothesay from NB Power was nuts too!!!! Almost $400, pretty much doubled the previous month!!!! We had even covered our windows with window shrink insulation to help....I can't see the small amount of Christmas lights we used caused that much of an increase.
Old 01-14-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I ran into the same problem last year with Saint John Energy. My bill was almost doubled for a month that had unseasonably warm temptures then the month previous. When I called them all I got was a lecture about how to save energy. I told the guy that I realize that my family uses a lot of energy (4 teenagers & 2 Adults with a fairly large house), but how do you explane a higher power bill then the month before when the tempetures don't warrent the same amount of heat for at least 14 days of that said month. I am a heat Nazi, so I know that if the tempetures were down, so was our heat! Anyways, long story short they talk circles around you and make it seem that your too dumb to understand how the whole process of selling power works!
Old 01-14-2010

It's a real mystery, that's for sure. We have programmable thermostats, and wear sweaters, so it's not like we have the place going like a sauna. I just can't believe my bill went from 122.00 in December to 486.00 in one month. And I even asked if the December bill was an estimate and not meter read, but no, they read the meter in December too...I just can't believe there's no recourse!!
Old 01-14-2010

Not sure about Saint John Energy, but on the NBPower bills you can see what you spent last month, as well as for the same period last year. If it's any indication, our power bill is twice as much as month previous, but same range as last year. We actually used a few less Kwh than last year at the same time, just a slightly higher rate.
Old 01-14-2010

Yes...

There is a comparison, it showed a huge increase over last year, which is why I'm suspicious...Last February was my highest usage, which makes sense, since it's usually the coldest month, and the bill last February was 360.00. So 486.00 for one not so cold month seems off....
Old 01-15-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

seems to be a lot of this going around.... we are trying to check into our bill as well
Old 01-15-2010

Good luck, let me know how you make out. I spoke with them again today, they are sending me some sort of form from Industry Canada. Not sure what that has to do with anything? I asked about them replacing the meter, but I just got the run around on that request...
Old 01-15-2010
*Basic-Level* Paid Account

Mine doubled too, I almost fell over
Old 01-15-2010

Mine is almost double too, but I only pay for my lights
Old 01-15-2010

hmm Mine is almost double as well..
Old 01-15-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Does it show a payment last month or not? I heard NB power had a problem one day last month, I think it was like Dec 8 or something, any payments made that day didn't show up on the bills. It will be showing up, I forget where I read it. It wasn't SJ energy tho, just NB Power. I mean I know we had SOME cold days last month but last year it was bitter all the time, or so it seemed.
Old 01-15-2010

Ours did not show last month's payment received in time, and we only move into this house in November so unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to, but I think $392 is a bit excessive for a simple three bedroom bungalow with two adults and two children for December especially where it was mild, we had an energy assessment done by Amerispect on Dec 16th. and we were graded at 75% which is fairly energy efficient.
Old 01-15-2010

I re-checked my bill and the amount from last month is definitely showing as paid, so the whole bill is for December...I'm going to keep appealing it, but for now I really have no choice but to pay it....
Old 01-15-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Send a message via MSN to hyjack

lightbill

yup same here almost double and they basically told me to sit on it and rotate
Old 01-28-2010

We own a split entry, around 1050 square feet. Our power bill went from around $260 last month to $460 this month. It is normally between $400-$500 in Dec, Jan, and Feb. It makes me sick.
Old 01-29-2010

Now this is really weird.....I just dug out my last year bill and mine dropped from 367.37 to 293.87. I had all my lights inside and out on longer because I had alot of family here for Xmas. More showers, laundry, cooking , etc and it dropped. Mind you I am on equalized billing at 203.00 per month, so I still pay the same each month. But I do find it rather strange how everyone elses went up so much. As for raising from what it was last month, only a $40 raise. I also have a 3 bedroom home with a completed basement that is heated the same temperature as upstairs. It does not make any sense that everyone elses took such a jump. But Im sure not complaining about mine thank goodness...
Old 02-01-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Mine was less then last time this year .. which makes sense because we also used 3xx less kWh this month compared to last.
Old 02-02-2010

SVTF...that is what I am saying is that my KWH usage seemed extremely low to what I felt it would have been.....with all the extras compared to last year
Old 02-02-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

It almost sounds like they are just guessing and not actually coming out to read the meters... IMHO