Greetings from the Old World Genealogy & Local History

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Genealogy & Local History

Old 07-23-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Smile Topic: Greetings from the Old World

Greetings from the Old World

Hello all,

Some of you may have read my posts on the local issues forum. If you haven't - I'm an English Permanent Resident of Canada - ready to move over to Saint john as soon as my UK house sells. I live in Yorkshire, Northern England, and was born in Kirklees. Indeed I was born an "arrowshot" from Kirklees Priory which houses the grave of one Robert, Earl of Huntington - otherwise known as Robin Hood (hence the iSaintJohn alias).

However, I am not a "proper" Anglo-Saxon - my father's side all originate from the Emerald Isle and most moved to the Yorkshire mill towns during the potato famine. The ancestor who's surname I share moved over more recently "because the police were after him" as an elderly relative told me. Indeed a bit of genealogy research, after leaving university, showed my Great Great Grandfather was a friend and confidente of James Connelly - shot by the British after the Easter Uprising in 1916.

Other research avenues lead to the discovery that many of my distant relatives from the West of Ireland (Sligo in particular) - ended up living in New Brunswick and landed in Saint John. Old letters I've uncovered show that refugees who had "a little" money - escaped the famine by paying for passage on empty lumber ships returning to Canada (after unloading their cargo in Sligo Bay). The "very poor" - walked the 70 mile pre-railway distance to West Yorkshire after been dropped off in Liverpool - the remainder carried on to Saint John.

So if your surname is McShane/Macsean, Lowe or Martin - the odds are you're related to me. I'm a little late (160 years) but I'll soon be calling Saint John my home
Old 08-16-2007
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Greetings from the Old World

I read a great "old world" genealogy story once in a genealogy newsletter. The researcher had gone to England from the USA to gather family history. He went to the parish hall in a small rural village and asked if he could see the registry books. The vicar, quite a young man, said "Oh, I'm sorry, we only have the new book here, they send the old ones to storage in the main archives." The man was quite disappointed, as he didn't have time in his schedule to go to London, so he said that he might as well look at the new book, it might share some common surnames that he could find someone in a local tea shop that could help, or maybe point him in the right direction in the cemetery. The punchline: The NEW book had been started in 1850-it wasn't full yet so they didn't send it.
Old 08-20-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
I read a great "old world" genealogy story once in a genealogy newsletter. The researcher had gone to England from the USA to gather family history. He went to the parish hall in a small rural village and asked if he could see the registry books. The vicar, quite a young man, said "Oh, I'm sorry, we only have the new book here, they send the old ones to storage in the main archives." The man was quite disappointed, as he didn't have time in his schedule to go to London, so he said that he might as well look at the new book, it might share some common surnames that he could find someone in a local tea shop that could help, or maybe point him in the right direction in the cemetery. The punchline: The NEW book had been started in 1850-it wasn't full yet so they didn't send it.
That's England for you - as old as the hills. I was in York last week - walked past some Roman ruins, near an excavated Viking settlement and had my picture taken with the first ever locomotive (Stephenson's Rocket). Next week we're off to visit some standing stones in North Yorkshire. It has its social problems but I'll miss the history (and family of course).
Old 08-20-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Welcome to Canada Robin'. I think you'll like Saint John, it's Ocean side, two big rivers, hundreds of lakes, and forests that would make Sherwood look like someones back yard. It's an industrial town, but no where near as bleak as some people like to think. Social problems may not be as bad here, but I think you'll find, where ever you find people, you'll find those issues. In general however; life is pretty layed back. The only advise I can give is "keep to the right side of the road and bring longjohns and mittens"..cheers.
Old 08-21-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLine View Post
Welcome to Canada Robin'. I think you'll like Saint John, it's Ocean side, two big rivers, hundreds of lakes, and forests that would make Sherwood look like someones back yard. It's an industrial town, but no where near as bleak as some people like to think. Social problems may not be as bad here, but I think you'll find, where ever you find people, you'll find those issues. In general however; life is pretty layed back. The only advise I can give is "keep to the right side of the road and bring longjohns and mittens"..cheers.
He he. Thanks for the advice. Yeah - I love Saint John - I'm from the Industrial North of England - so I feel at home amongst smoke stacks and heavy industry. I've spent 6 weeks in the city over the last 3 years - but have yet to experience winter - bring it on
Old 12-09-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

A question of sorts, I have a job now where we are the "backup" for the UK contact center, and if we ever get a UK call, we are not supposed to end it with "Have a nice day"- they said to say "cheers" as "Have a nice day" annoys the UK callers. Any idea why? It isn't as if we are using a Maritime colloquialism like "how's she goin" or "have a good one!" or "take er easy bud".
Old 06-23-2010
New Member (< 10 posts)

Also if you get a bit homesick , and are looking for some Jaffa Cakes.... "Pete's Frootique" in the City Market is owned by a friendly, footie loving Brit.

He carries a nice selection of English goods.