st peters catholic girls school Genealogy & Local History

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Genealogy & Local History

Old 07-08-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: st peters catholic girls school

Robichaud's Grocery

does anyone remember where Robichaud's Grocery was located ?

and the corner store located by the stairs on main i remember as ponchos thats what we called it anyway.
Old 07-09-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Tammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbeach View Post
Great memories all!!
Tammy Marks was my first cousin...she died a few years ago..
Oh I know she was such a sweetheart. Sis and I went to the funeral home when Tammy passed. Omg it brings a smile to my face everytime I think of Tammy.....I hear her laughter and she had such a twinkle in her eyes...Such a loss. Anyways lots of great memories on this site. Does anyone remember the Taffy Apples that Barbara Robichaud used to sell.....They were the best! Seems like people came from everywhere for Moms Taffy Apples...
Old 07-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINYGUY View Post
does anyone remember where Robichaud's Grocery was located ?

and the corner store located by the stairs on main i remember as ponchos thats what we called it anyway.
Robichauds Grocery was at 25 Main Street....Barb worked there. Everyone loved Barb......

Yes Ponchos and do you remember Mary who worked there? Poncho used to crack me up.....
Old 07-09-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Robichauds Grocery

yes its the same store i hung around as a kid and teenager yes we all loved barb her husband lawerance they had a bunch of kids i remember larry,lois,john,paul,lynn i think a couple more not sure of names. i loved that place played pinball everyday there i grew up around the corner on bridge street i loved it there but times have changed its not like it use to be. does anyone remember shorts take out on bride street i hung around there too.yes the taffy apples were great i loved getting them on halloween.

Last edited by ShinyGuy; 07-09-2007 at 07:54 PM..
Old 07-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINYGUY View Post
yes its the same store i hung around as a kid and teenager yes we all loved barb her husband lawerance they had a bunch of kids i remember larry,lois,john,paul,lynn i think a couple more not sure of names. i loved that place played pinball everyday there i grew up around the corner on bridge street i loved it there but times have changed its not like it use to be. does anyone remember shorts take out on bride street i hung around there too.yes the taffy apples were great i loved getting them on halloween.
Yes I remember Shorts Take Out...Joan Short was the owner of that restaurant....I actually met Joan one day at Walmart not to long ago and we chatted, my where have all the years gone? But it is nice to bump into old friends every now and then. Joan is a very nice lady....always was.
Old 07-14-2007
New Member (< 10 posts)

Post Topic: st peters catholic girls school

Garvin's and O"Neill's Funeral Homes

I was in Saint John last week and took the opportunity to check out the location of these two firms in the Saint John City Directories found at the public library there.

Here are the results:
O'Neills Funeral Service at 669 Main Street so they would have been close to Arnoff's etc. I attended my grandfather's funeral from there in 1951 and we lived not far away at 556 Main Street so I was quite sure of that one.

In 1947 Garvin's was located at 47 Claredon Street ... near Saint Peter's Church and in 1950 the Directory showed their location as 257 Main Street which would have been close to the Main Street Baptist Church.

Also I remember a Robichaud's Grocery Store on Simonds Street...possibly the corner of Simond and High from when we lived on Simonds Street. Malone's grocery was on the other side of Simonds Street.

May I add that the Saint John City Directories found upstairs in the Genealogy section of the Saint John City library are useful in finding the addresses of companies as well as individuals living in Saint John and copies of the Directories from 1800 up to around 2000 are kept there.

Last edited by redrose; 01-27-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Old 09-22-2007

st petes school

Does anyone who lived on Murray Street remember a girl named Jannine Cormier? It would be around 1950 to 1957 or so.
Old 09-22-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

resturant

I Think the name you are referring to is The Mechanics Kitchen!!!!!!!!!Reids Diner was at Simms Corner
Old 09-23-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Wilson's from Portland Street

Does anyone know the Wilsons that lived around Portland Street in the 1950's? Kids then that played with the Wilson children?
thanks
Ann
Old 10-19-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I lived on Portland Street then but I can't remember any Wilsons..of course I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday LOL..
Old 12-14-2007
New Member (< 10 posts)

St. Peter's

This is a great site. Many of us, I imagine, feel nostalgic about Saint John, though many of us are happy where we wound up. Some of these names of people and places I haven’t thought about for 40 years. I was born in Roberts Court in ’56, then Beaverbrook Avenue. I went to St. Pete’s grades 5 thru 9.
Now, I have two items that I am hoping someone can help me with:
1. Does anyone know or remember Mary Patterson? She attended St. Peter’s; her grade 9 would have been 1969-70 I think? I want to send her an email, if anyone can help facilitate that, please let me know. I think she lived over near Rockland Road.
2. Dufferin School put on “Alice in Wonderland” in ’67, maybe ’68, not sure – does anyone remember that? Does anyone have any pics of that? Our St. Pete’s choir had a part in the play.
Paul O’Neil
Vancouver, BC
Old 01-26-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

My Mom went to Saint Peters, her name was Kay O'Connor, does anyone remember her. She was born in 1945.
Old 01-26-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by commkathy View Post
My Mom went to Saint Peters, her name was Kay O'Connor, does anyone remember her. She was born in 1945.
My mistake, she would have been Kay Holmes back then, and had three brothers. Alfred, Donnie and Peter.
Old 01-27-2008
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Kent Movie theatre

Does any one remember that? We are from Kingston and our treat would be to go there and watch the movies.
My husband used to get a 50 cents allowance and that would get you in, a tub of popcorn and a cup of pop. One week was horror movie, the next week, maybe Abbott and Costello
It was always full of families..
Old 01-28-2008
New Member (< 10 posts)

That was Jim Flynn's Tailor Shop on Main Street.