Commercials! Arts & Entertainment

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Arts & Entertainment

Old 04-28-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Commercials!

Sexist because it is aimed at boys and singing about girl in a sex related fashion. This ad is not aimed at girls hence, it is sexist. I hate too that they are using sex to sell to kids.

I hate ad that depict one sex as being stupid. Does not matter which one. Some ads try to show males as dumb and some ads try to depict females as dumb. The people who write these kinds of ads are dumb. IMO

Does anyone remember an ad that shows a couple sleeping and he says to a sleeping woman "Are you awake" and she says "I'm up now". It sells some sort of cough medicine. That ad almost drove me nuts. I hated it so much.
Old 04-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Sexist because it is aimed at boys and singing about girl in a sex related fashion. This ad is not aimed at girls hence, it is sexist.
No more sexist than women only gym's, it's about targeting a certain market.

Quote:
I hate ad that depict one sex as being stupid. Does not matter which one. Some ads try to show males as dumb and some ads try to depict females as dumb. The people who write these kinds of ads are dumb. IMO
I'm totally on board with you there, that's what I was trying to get at but I think you put it way better.
Old 04-28-2009

I see your point jdcb, but I don't think burger king is aiming at pubesecent(?) boys as their target market. I just think it sucks that girls (any age) are depicted as sex objects. Square butts or not. Sexist and nobody seems to mind that sex is used to sell burgers to pubesecent (?) children.

Some ads are sexist just because of the product. I don't think feminine product ads are directed at men and I don't think it bothers men that they aren't. (Could be wrong)LOL
Old 04-28-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Is this the one you were thinking of jdcb? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oF6...77F5C8&index=0
Old 04-29-2009

personally I hate those redbull cartoon commercials. I think they are insipid, make no sense and really irritate me...I would never drink those things because I HATE those commercials THAT much!
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
I see your point jdcb, but I don't think burger king is aiming at pubesecent(?) boys as their target market. I just think it sucks that girls (any age) are depicted as sex objects. Square butts or not. Sexist and nobody seems to mind that sex is used to sell burgers to pubesecent (?) children.

Some ads are sexist just because of the product. I don't think feminine product ads are directed at men and I don't think it bothers men that they aren't. (Could be wrong)LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMZ62PsvRM

Everyone does realize that it's about square butts, right? It's Spongebob Squarepants. I think it's funny myself, and man are those square butts sexy!

I understand not everyone see's the humour in it, but the way I look at it, it's a commercial. You guys do realize that the original song was sung in the movie Shrek?
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:

I wasn't really disagreeing with you, just saying...
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
Is this the one you were thinking of jdcb? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oF6...77F5C8&index=0
can't watch it at work, but I'll check it out tonight.
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMZ62PsvRM

Everyone does realize that it's about square butts, right? It's Spongebob Squarepants. I think it's funny myself, and man are those square butts sexy!

I understand not everyone see's the humour in it, but the way I look at it, it's a commercial. You guys do realize that the original song was sung in the movie Shrek?
will check out this one too...
Old 04-29-2009

That Baby got back one drives me nuts too. I am sorry it's not as bad as some of the things they have on tv that's for sure, but this commercial is for KIDS!!! It bugs me out too. What were they thinking!!!

LMAO Bradorna, I dunno if I saw that one with the girl and her armpit hair hahahaha, wonder what they would be advertising for, hopefully a shick razor or something so she can shave that off. yuck.

I get soooooo sad when I see the abused animal commercials!! and the African kids ones!! I have to change the channel so fast. I start crying immediately if I don't!! I know it's ignorance to change the channel but I can't afford to help those animals and people so it bothers me that I am hepless to help them!!! And me crying my heart out isn't going to put food on their plates or clean water in the rivers. Plus, even if I had money to send these organizations, they don't get what you send anyways!! If they did, by now those people would be seeing a big difference in disease and hunger, they would see more clothing and education!!, etc etc. Animals would have refuge from evil people, disease, starvation, etc! Those are some SAD commercials!! They hit hard!!

The commercial that used to annoy me a bit is the one with all the celebreties snapping their fingers and saying everytime we snap our fingers a child dies from hunger or disease, with ur help we can make a differnce..????

Um ok so why is it that you people each have about 3 houses all worth multi millions, with no one living in them. Cars that cost more than my house did, clothes that cost more than my house did, etc etc and yet have the nerve to sit there and say u should be helping because these people are starving. Ah, why not sell your million dollar homes, buy ONE that costs 300 or 400 thousand, and use your money to help those people since you are the ones with all the freakin money!! Grrrr! Talk about people with their priorities mixed up. It's one thing to make a life for yourself to live comfortably, but celebreties go to the extreme. I wonder if it bothers them at all, that they have all those multi million dollar things meanwhile the people they snap their fingers for are starving!! Probably not.
Old 04-29-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I haventt watched a commercial since they invented the remote control LOL
Now that I have cancelled my cable and use the internet exclusively, its gotten even better
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegal View Post
One that drives me foolish advertises gum. A man is in the library and his lips start moving and singing "Thank you". Certainly doesnt make me want to go out and buy gum, lol. I love animal commercials, the one for toilet paper and the small puppy crashing into them, and the one with the puppy "working out" and "watching what he is eating" with the headband on his head, I think they are cute.
This one is annoying but my three year old son just loves it. He immitates the guy and tries to get his lips to move and then slaps his hand over his mouth. It's quite funny to watch.

I also hate the long "pit haired" chick on the bike, anything that ends with "have a happy period" and the new "Potty dance" commercial.
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
That's the One! Your the man...
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
...they don't get what you send anyways!!
Actually they do. Some organizations are better than others, but they are charitable organizations and have to account for there money. They're tax records are public documents. Some are as good as 91 or 92 cents of every dollar goes right towards helping the people.

But the scope of the issue is so huge that the expectation that we're going to turn the place into paradise in a year or so using $9 a month is a bit much. There is change being made, but there is so much needing to be changed...

But I do have to turn those commercials too, I can't watch and can't afford to help right now...
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcb View Post
Actually they do. Some organizations are better than others, but they are charitable organizations and have to account for there money. They're tax records are public documents. Some are as good as 91 or 92 cents of every dollar goes right towards helping the people.

But the scope of the issue is so huge that the expectation that we're going to turn the place into paradise in a year or so using $9 a month is a bit much. There is change being made, but there is so much needing to be changed...

But I do have to turn those commercials too, I can't watch and can't afford to help right now...
Sorry didn't want to turn the thread off topic, just had to respond.

I watched that BK Spongebob commercial, it was a bit too much IMO.

I love the Commercials for the new Star Trek movie!!!
Old 04-29-2009

I think when grown women (or men) are dressed in skin tight clothes, shaking their cans in kids' faces it's too much. The dude is measuring their bums, and I don't think that's ok given spongebob's targeted audience of little boys.
Old 04-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by donteatrawpotatoes View Post
I think when grown women (or men) are dressed in skin tight clothes, shaking their cans in kids' faces it's too much. The dude is measuring their bums, and I don't think that's ok given spongebob's targeted audience of little boys.
yeah, the measuring of it. Plus right at the end the guy on the couch made some sort of 'booty' comment...
Old 04-30-2009

That's what I meant about using sex to sell burgers to 6 and 7 year olds. They will get bombarded with sex in their faces soon enough.IMO
Old 04-30-2009

I know you guys are saying the BK commercial is targeted at kids and it's inappropriate, and I agree with where you are coming from. However, there are numerous commercials that are aired at all times of the day that use sex as a means. Let's face it, this is the world we live in. The best thing you can do is teach your child the difference.

Many of you wouldn't agree with letting a child watch an R rated horror flick, I on the other hand think it depends on the child, and their mental capacity to distinguish fact from fiction. To realize that it's meant as entertainment, and not as a life lesson.

The world is constantly bombarding our children with material and information that tries to undue the moral fibres that we have instilled in them, and it is up to us to make sure that our children are raised with the character to handle what the world throws at them and make a well informed decision on their own.
Old 04-30-2009

Sorry to hijack the thread! I love the Budweiser Commercials, also there is one in the states the uses Trunk Monkeys, they are hilarious.

Here's the trunk monkeys for those of you that haven't seen them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8oPVVGYQ40

Last edited by rhiley_08j; 04-30-2009 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: typo