Costco - So what does everyone think? Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 06-07-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Costco - So what does everyone think?

I assume they only take AMEX because they have a deal with them and they try and upsell you an american express credit card when you get your membership. We were in on Sunday and absolutely loved it!!! I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. The prices are amazing, the selection is incredible and the bakery and meat department are to die for! I didn't get around the whole thing but am going back in sometime this week to finish. The store is absolutely beautiful and the staff are great. Yes it was a little crowded but how long has SJ been waiting for Costco?? I don't think the novelty will ever wear off in this city...we were just getting a little bored with Sobeys and Superstore and Wal Mart?? Well that store looks like a thrift store compared to Costco. Wal Mart management should take a walk up over the hill and have a look at what a store should look like. Wal Mart is a mess!!! I know where i'm shopping from now on!
Old 06-07-2010

That is the reason they gave us each an AMEX, when we got the executive membership. He did explain to us that people were upset that Visa or MC is not accepted, therefore promoting the AMEX. I don't want it so will never use it, I will just pay cash or use my debit card. It is odd but no big deal either way for me. I also will be only a once a month shopper there, alot of the packaging is more for a large family than one or two person family. Nevertheless I am very happy I don't have to drive all the way to Moncton anymore.
Old 06-07-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Absolutely love the fact we have one in Saint John finally!
We often traveled about 4 times per year to Moncton.
We've saved many hundreds of dollars on things from the usual home and food items, but also on seasonal books, electronics, clothes and school related things for the kids, etc.. good quality stuff and no hassle returns. I often compare local prices just before going to know the better deals and make sure I have freezer and storage areas for what I'm buying. I was just running out of household items I bought in Moncton in late November and the Saint John opening was perfect timing to save me more $$$ for our family of 5.

With relationships, as with so many aspects of life, honesty is undoubtedly the best policy
Old 06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradorna View Post
That is the reason they gave us each an AMEX, when we got the executive membership. He did explain to us that people were upset that Visa or MC is not accepted, therefore promoting the AMEX. I don't want it so will never use it, I will just pay cash or use my debit card. It is odd but no big deal either way for me. I also will be only a once a month shopper there, alot of the packaging is more for a large family than one or two person family. Nevertheless I am very happy I don't have to drive all the way to Moncton anymore.
We got the executive membership as well but you didn't HAVE to take the AMEX card...we refused it and that was fine with them but if sometime within the year we decide we want one its no problem.
Old 06-07-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

[quote=

I find it extremely odd that the only form of credit they take is AMEX. Seems odd.[/QUOTE]

Not odd at all, it's an exclusive deal they have with Amex. I have had a Costco membership 4 times in the past 10 years, here and BC, and they never have taken any other card, not here or any Costco, nor will they likely ever, so there's no point in mounting a boycott campaign or writing letters to the editor, it ain't happenin'
Old 06-07-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Splenda is maltodextrin with sucralose the walmart brand is Equate which is maltodextrin with surcalose both are the exact same. It sells for over 9 dollars at most stores under the brand name Splenda. It sells at walmart for just over 6 dollars. I have been using maltodextrine now for over 2 years and I cannot drink sugartwin. equaL nor any of the other sweetners due to the gross aftertaste. I carry splenda packets in my bag all of the time and I did buy them at bulk barn. maybe they were out when you were there.
I love the prices of propane at Cosco. I won't buy a membership though because my 2 sons have one each so I will get them to buy things for me.
I didn't find a lot of variety there though. They carry the store brand name kirkland but not a whole lot of big names. I was looking for catfood but they only had kirkland and one variety package of friskies,Not a lot of choices.
Old 06-07-2010

Nice to have a little bit of competition back in this city. I remember the days when ther was save easy, sobeys, dominion, wharehouse foods, co-op, villager and a couple of more grocery stores. For dry goods there was Zellers, the met, kmart, woolco, woolworth, sears and the family owned stores uptown. There was always deals to be found because they were all competing for your dollar.
Old 06-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity View Post
Not odd at all, it's an exclusive deal they have with Amex. I have had a Costco membership 4 times in the past 10 years, here and BC, and they never have taken any other card, not here or any Costco, nor will they likely ever, so there's no point in mounting a boycott campaign or writing letters to the editor, it ain't happenin'
I guess i should have been more clear? I find it odd that a company like costco would choose to have an agreement with AMEX. Its not as well known and liked as Visa. I understand the concept of what they are doing.. but i find it odd that they chose AMEX.
Old 06-10-2010

Costco 1st Impressions

Well I made my visit today as was mentioned you can get a visitor pass at the front and roam around to your hearts content, you just can't buy anything.........

Its a beautiful store, the staff are very friendly and although there was lots of cars in the parking lot the store did not have the appearance of being busy because its so large.Well lit, super wide isles over all a great store.

That's the pluses

The negatives likely apply to me and maybe not to a lot of other shoppers because they shop for price. As I said in a previous post " I am not interested in buying cheaper products, I am interested in buying the products I buy cheaper" and unfortunately for me of the list of 15 or 20 products I buy on a regular bases that I took with me they don't carry any of them.

I may eventually get a membership, when it comes time to buy a bunch of the products I shop for price on rather then brand, like paper towels, laundry detergent, toilet paper etc but I doubt its going to stop the weekly shopping trips to sobey's.

Bill
Old 06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Splenda is maltodextrin with sucralose the walmart brand is Equate which is maltodextrin with surcalose both are the exact same. It sells for over 9 dollars at most stores under the brand name Splenda. It sells at walmart for just over 6 dollars. I have been using maltodextrine now for over 2 years and I cannot drink sugartwin. equaL nor any of the other sweetners due to the gross aftertaste. I carry splenda packets in my bag all of the time and I did buy them at bulk barn. maybe they were out when you were there.
I love the prices of propane at Cosco. I won't buy a membership though because my 2 sons have one each so I will get them to buy things for me.
I didn't find a lot of variety there though. They carry the store brand name kirkland but not a whole lot of big names. I was looking for catfood but they only had kirkland and one variety package of friskies,Not a lot of choices.
hmm I dont know what it is, but I dont like it, it has to be Spenda.
Old 06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Well I made my visit today as was mentioned you can get a visitor pass at the front and roam around to your hearts content, you just can't buy anything.........

Its a beautiful store, the staff are very friendly and although there was lots of cars in the parking lot the store did not have the appearance of being busy because its so large.Well lit, super wide isles over all a great store.

That's the pluses

The negatives likely apply to me and maybe not to a lot of other shoppers because they shop for price. As I said in a previous post " I am not interested in buying cheaper products, I am interested in buying the products I buy cheaper" and unfortunately for me of the list of 15 or 20 products I buy on a regular bases that I took with me they don't carry any of them.

I may eventually get a membership, when it comes time to buy a bunch of the products I shop for price on rather then brand, like paper towels, laundry detergent, toilet paper etc but I doubt its going to stop the weekly shopping trips to sobey's.

Bill
We are definitly different here because those three items are the ones that I have to have certain brand names in.......Sponge Towels (pick a size), Tide and Cashmere (TP I can be a bit more less selective) as long as they are double rolls and not sand paper....lol
Old 06-13-2010

Very disappointed, should have done the visitor pass before buying the 100$ membership.

1. Not as big as every said it was.
2. Kirkland brand to expensive.
3. Not able to sample/smell bulk packaged items (unless I have used the item before I dont want to buy 6 of something I may not like).
4. Fish was very expensive (frozen).

I hope to earn my money back over the year, but I will not be renewing.
Old 06-13-2010

Wink Topic: Costco - So what does everyone think?

2 things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradorna View Post
I'm just wondering why if they DON'T take Visa that they would advertise on the back of their Costco Connection magazine they gave me at the door a big ad for Visa and Mastercard a fee of 1.72% on swiped Visa and MC transactions for executive members....doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't except it, maybe just the time you had gone they weren't available yet, but I would think if they're gonna advertise it, they should very well do it...lol

and in regards to the Splenda thing, I know they have it, I saw it on the shelf as well as it is ALSO in the book advertising it.....so hopefully this will help a few of you find what your looking for.

Happy Shopping,

Vix
Old 06-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Nside View Post
Very disappointed, should have done the visitor pass before buying the 100$ membership.

no worry, you can return your membership card any time and get full refund.
Old 06-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Nside View Post

1. Not as big as every said it was.
2. Kirkland brand to expensive.
3. Not able to sample/smell bulk packaged items (unless I have used the item before I dont want to buy 6 of something I may not like).
4. Fish was very expensive (frozen).

1. They said it was the biggest one in Atlantic Canada, and it is. They did not say it was the biggest one in north America.

2. Not all Kirkland brand stuff is that expensive. My wife and I love the Old Fashion bacon from Superstore. It's $8.99 for 2 pounds. The Kirkland brand is 4 pounds for $12.99 it's like getting a pound for free. Plus we actually like it better.

3. Not sure were you shop that you can open and sample something off the shelf. Costco quite often has sample tables set up around the store to give you a chance to taste different foods.

4. I will give you the frozen fish. I much prefer fresh. But price wise you need to compare the cost per pound/Kilogram not the package price. Most fish I have priced is either cheaper or on par.

They are not the cheapest for everything. My wife for example has a hiatus hernia. For this as part of her treatment takes Gaviscon wannabees. I prices them at Costco, and I can by them cheaper at Lawton's.

Costco is not the only place I will be doing my shopping. For the stuff I like and use a lot, if it is cheaper there I will buy it there, if not I will go else were. Milk is $3.05 for 2 liters. We usually pay $3.69 so when I'm there I will get milk.

Costco is not for every one. It is a bulk store. So if you don't have the ability to store bulk meats or what ever, then it is definitely not for you. Your order will at the time cost you more than at say Sobeys. But once sorted and put away will last you much longer.
Old 06-13-2010

Costco

Went there other day first time walked around took 1/2 an hour not one thing in the store caught my interest.

Went to see how much the printer cartridges were for my printer 68.95 WOW walmart Has same ones for 42.97

Said to my son if it was not for my wife buying the membership i would ask for money back I do not expect to go to there in the future.
Old 06-13-2010

Vix, I "think" it is a business they can offer out to other business's..as in they can provide that service for other business's that take visa's...someone has to provide it
not that they take visa's.
Old 06-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmasterV View Post
Went there other day first time walked around took 1/2 an hour not one thing in the store caught my interest.

Went to see how much the printer cartridges were for my printer 68.95 WOW walmart Has same ones for 42.97

Said to my son if it was not for my wife buying the membership i would ask for money back I do not expect to go to there in the future.
I have a hard time believing that they were that much more expensive at Costco! Are you sure there wasen't two in the package? And not one thing in that entire store that caught your eye! Thats amazing!
Old 06-14-2010

I don't recall ever being told that their prices were supposed to be lower than all other stores. Maybe it was said but I didn't hear it.

In most cases a package of anything at Costco has at least two items in it, so perhaps the printer ink did too.

It appears that most of the people that are so disappointed and wish they had not bought a membership, must never have been in a Costco before and had no idea what it was all about. As far as I can tell the only difference in this one compared to the one in Moncton is that...it is larger and laid out a bit different. I'm happy with it.
Old 06-14-2010

I am very happy with it!! So glad I dont have to drive to Moncton now!