Harbour Bridge Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 12-01-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Harbour Bridge

Harbour Bridge

So the end of Nov. came and went, and the bridge still looks like it's months from being done. The concrete isn't poured for the barrier on the middle spans, and the north end onramp looks like it might be complete next fall.

I can't find anything on the bridge website, or anywhere on the internet indicating when it's going to be complete. Are they going to get the concrete poured and open up the other lane before winter?

I expected at least a note from Ken Anthony saying "I had no idea they weren't going to be done".

Does anyone know what the story is now?
Old 12-01-2010

I caught something on the radio about it this morning. They said that there is a delay caused by the heavy rains we had a week or so ago. Most of the last lane should be ready either in a week, or they'd gradually make the last lane available in parts starting in a week. I imagine they'll do the Chesley Place on-ramp last in order to put the most manpower on getting the main travel lane ready.
Old 12-01-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I heard it on the radio on the way home from work. They said that the section closest to the tolls will be open next week and that the rest will be finished by Dec 10. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 12-03-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I can imagine it put things behind, they spent tons of man hours keeping those green screen shields up, they blew down or shredded in the high winds lots of times.
Old 12-03-2010

Wasn't it supposed to be a 2 yr project all along? As in whoohoo traffic tieups all next summer too?
Old 12-03-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

yes but for safety's sake it was supposed to be may-oct 2010, may-oct 2011-can you imagine one lane traffic in a snowstorm at rush hour? People would be flying off the edge into the harbour. As well, there are safety concerns for the workmen, up on the bridge in high winds in icy weather would be no place to be.
Old 12-03-2010

um, yes I understand that, just suggesting that the concrete work she was wondering about might be NEXT summer..............
Old 12-03-2010

The idea was, one side per year. They were supposed to be done the westbound side of the bridge by the end of October 2010. From what I understand, they will be opening the westbound up around the 20th, but work will continue on the north end onramp after that. Hopefully they can learn from their mistakes, and do a little extra work next summer to avoid delaying into the winter again.