Damage Deposits on Hotel rooms? Travel & Tourism

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Travel & Tourism

Old 07-29-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Damage Deposits on Hotel rooms?

Damage Deposits on Hotel rooms?

Has anyone ever heard of this? We went to Moncton this past weekend and every hotel was charging $100-$150 damage deposits on rooms! I have never encountered this before in my life. They refund you the next morning when you check out...but who's to say when you leave your room isn't trashed?! I found it to be very odd; I have stayed in many hotels and have never been charged a damage deposit.
Old 07-29-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I have heard of it everytime we go away!!! We don't go away much where we use hotels but over the last 8 years, everytime we have gone we have been required to put money down on a credit card, no cash. Not sure if every hotel is like this, but the ones we chose to stay at in the past have all required you to do it. One was in Moncton and one was in Halifax. I do remember these because they were most recent.

I am not worried about getting the money back, I always do. But an idea if you are worried, take pictures of the room before you leave with your camera. If your camera has date and time all the better!!! If they try to pull that, you have proof you weren't the one who trashed it. Hope that helps with your worries for the next time you travel and they ask for this.
Old 07-29-2009

We stay in hotels quite often and that is definately the norm. Usually anywhere from 50.00 to 100.00 for deposit.
Old 07-29-2009

I ran into this same thing last year when my daughter was going to Halifax with the Seadogs Fan to a game, and she was paying with cash. Does this apply if you are paying by Credit Card also?
Old 07-29-2009

The only place I've ever heard of damage deposit was when I went to Fort McMurry. Every time I went there I always had to pay damage deposit even though I had used a credit card. Nowhere else I've ever been was I asked to pay upfront. Do you suppose they are starting a new trend here now?
Old 07-29-2009

We stayed at the Super 8 in Dieppe about 6 months ago and were not asked to pay the deposit...but this time we were. when I questioned it, she said it was policy so I didn't quam about it but found it very odd. I have never paid a damage deposit in my life for a hotel room. I was thinking maybe it was because some rooms got trashed when the concerts are up there? Not sure. Amsterdam Inn wanted $150!! We ended up at the Country Inn who only charged $50 and you could pay that in cash.
Old 07-29-2009

It's not too uncommon. Depending on the place if there is a mini-bar, pay per view movies, often they'll look for a deposit or will swipe a credit card but not process it pending checkout. I travel a ton for work, and never had an issue being overcharged or not getting a deposit back. When asked if I want a mini-bar key I answer no, which tends to keep the deposits away.

Certainly if you're paying cash, pretty much expect to leave a deposit or an unprocessed credit card swipe.
Old 07-30-2009

It must be a Canadian thing. I have been in over a dozen US cities over the last 2 years and have never had to put up a damage deposit.
Old 07-30-2009

Just charging this rather small refundable amount will stop a lot of the damage from happening, it acts more as a deterrent then anything else.
Old 07-30-2009

One thing that happened to us in Calgary was that the Hotel charged us a $200 deposit and we also paid for the room at the same time. When we checked out they said to us that they had charged us the wrong price for the room and kept at least $50 of the deposit. This I felt was their mistake, and should never have assumed they could keep our money. Needless to say we never stayed their again. Problem was we were in a bit of a hurry and could not even stay to argue the point.
Old 07-31-2009

You should have called your credit card company. They would probably refund your 50 and take it back from them, or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradorna View Post
One thing that happened to us in Calgary was that the Hotel charged us a $200 deposit and we also paid for the room at the same time. When we checked out they said to us that they had charged us the wrong price for the room and kept at least $50 of the deposit. This I felt was their mistake, and should never have assumed they could keep our money. Needless to say we never stayed their again. Problem was we were in a bit of a hurry and could not even stay to argue the point.
Old 07-31-2009

Timmy we did not have to use our credit card. This was around 8 years ago and apparently they could take cash then.