Anybody dieting out there? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 07-03-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Anybody dieting out there?

Oh I couldn't stop eating meat. My father and grandfather would roll over in their graves.LOL

I didn't really think you were vegan. I was just commenting on how vegans get their vitamin b12. True vegans are pretty rare. I think they starve to death. Hahahah.

My diet is rather severe and really boring. Calories in and calories out. Less in and more out.
Old 07-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Oh I couldn't stop eating meat. My father and grandfather would roll over in their graves.LOL

I didn't really think you were vegan. I was just commenting on how vegans get their vitamin b12. True vegans are pretty rare. I think they starve to death. Hahahah.

My diet is rather severe and really boring. Calories in and calories out. Less in and more out.
LOL!!! True vegans don't eat honey, refined sugars... so many things it would just break my brain trying to think about it.

Calories in calories out... -giggle- it does sound kind of boring and complicated... another thing that would break my brain lol! I always envied those who can pull it off successfully.
Old 07-04-2008

I am indeed flabberlishious but I am now 8 lbs less flab. Still lishious. I'm happy with that.

You're right donteat, counting calories is boring but it keeps your brain off food for a little while. lol. After awhile it becomes like a contest with yourself. Almost fun. I did say almost right?lol
Old 07-18-2008

It's Friday and weigh day. As of this am I am 14 lbs lighter than I was when I started. And Sanstu I am more active. I now walk 1 hour a day at 2 mph. Only 26 more lbs to lose for goal. Pat pat.
Old 07-18-2008

Way to go inuit, I totally knew you could do it. Remember to get your daily intake of water as well. You can do it!!! You could also try walking with weights or there is the ever popular walk with ski poles. Mix it up so you don't get bored and do whatever works for you, 'cause whatever you're doing it's working. Rock on sista!!
Old 07-19-2008

Thanks Sanstu. Getting less flabberlishous every day!
Old 07-19-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

inuit congrats on the diet and weight loss! I just started a diet as well and find that counting calories is by far the best way to go. I make up an entire day. Here is a site called the calorie counter...I just joined it so I'm not 100% how it works. http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/

I also picked up a DVD called walk away the pounds the 3 mile walk at Giant Tiger Leslie Sanstun. I do that work out every 2nd day then I plan on getting a DVD on yoga and do that on the alternative days, gotta keep that body limber! LOL Plus, I hike a lot as well.

One thing I found interesting is I read that swimming is not a good exercise for weight loss as the water (normally) is colder than your body temperature which makes your body hold onto calories.

Also they mention that 1 tbsp raw bran with 1-2 glases of water 10-15 minutes prior to each meal reduces appetite. I can't seem to find raw bran around...any ideas? I don't really shop around too much
Old 07-19-2008

Another great site to use is http://www.fitday.com . I find it very simple and easy to use.
Old 07-20-2008

Inuit.. what r u doing for your weightloss?

When i was preggo with the little one i only gained 35 pounds.. and i lost 31 when she was born. I am trying to make a conscious effort to eat better and get a bit more exercise.. but i am limited to what i can do for exercise right now until i am healed from the section. I am just wondering what you are doing.I need something to give me a bit more energy.I am not eating right as it is right now.. (dont have time), but with 2 kids.. and no sleep.. i find it hard to have energy to do anything.

Any hints?
Old 07-22-2008

Oh my Atchbe, you don't do anything by halves, do you? As soon as I read you were trying to lose weight, I just knew you'd have found a site or two and was researching it. I find counting calories easier too, just makes more sense to me than trying to follow all of these diets that call for you to watch everything you eat and in what amounts. Then to make matters worse you watch so closley what you eat every day and only lose a pound or two a week. Way too slow and tedious. With calorie counting, I get to eat what I want as long as I get my sufficent protein intake. That's really all I worry about. Your body will break down fat to feed its need for sugar if it has to but to get protein it must break down muscle tissue. You don't want that. I don't eat refined sugar at all. Thank god for Splenda.I eat very few carbs, maybe only 60-80 calories a day from carbs. Carbs are broken down into usable sugars by your body.I find when counting calories and the first day you decide to eat cookies or other sweets, you soon learn your lesson because you're still hungry and you're at the end of your calorie intake for the day. Seldom make the same mistake the secound day. I do eat quite a bit of veggies because you can get alot of food with few calories. Great at the end of the day and while watching the boob tube. Don't take my word on this or any other diet. I'm no dietitian and most of them would be appauled by my diet and would swear that it won't work. This is just my opinoin and it works for me. I'm not advocating it for anyone else.

Futurechief, My love, you've just had a baby by section. Now is not the time to worry too much about dieting. Your poor old body is still trying to recover from childbirth and a major surgery. Give yourself quite a bit more time yet. Did you know it takes your body almost a year to fully recover from childbirth. It's a strenous process. You are young with small children to chase around and a new baby to look after. My advise is don't stress yourself anymore by trying to diet because dieting itself is very stressful. Do you like veggies? Maybe you could benefit from more leafy green veggies. They have lots of iron in them and sometimes after surgery people need that little extra bit of natural iron. Of course you are tired, I'd be surprised if you weren't. You are only a month post-op and a new baby. Allow yourself time to heal. There's no hurry, enjoy the little extra padding for now. More of you to love.
Old 07-22-2008

I won't be here to weigh in next Friday. I'm off to Fort Mc to see the old man for a little while. Hope I don't gain too much eating with the old ball and chain. He loves to eat more than I do, (If that's possible) Yep, he's booberlishous too. More of him to love and hug too. We snuggle up to each others fat rolls, so warm and toasty. LOL
Old 07-22-2008

well have a great trip hun!

Thanks for the pep talk..but i have a bet with someone from work.. and i only have a year to get there. lol

i just want to be healthier..and have more energy.But i am going to try your method. Sounds like something i could work with. how many caloried per weight sector. If you want PM me..
Old 07-27-2008

Send a message via MSN to sjmommie30

well i need some diet tips!!! I have 2 kids, one 6 and one 19 months..and with my first child..i was so sick..i was under weight..well when i had her..i had a flat stomach..no stretch marks couldnt even tell i had a baby...then about 2 years later..i put weight on..only in my stomach..and then had my second in 2006..and didnt put much weight on..but my stomach was still preggo looking and it still is...but im also diabetic, just recently and im always thristy..thristy for pop..im a huge pop addict..and very tired all the time..i try to drink water, but it makes me sick..even bottled water...so im at lost on what to do
Old 07-27-2008

Sound like you're having trouble controling your diabetes, sjmommie.(sounds like you are low all the time) Perhaps a re-check with your Dr. is in order. And NO pop; it is FULL of sugar! Try ice water with lemon /lime slices. Very refreshing. Whether you are carb counting or weighing your food, if you are exercising your insulin may need to be adjusted. Please check with your Dr. first.

Last edited by sanstu; 07-27-2008 at 08:28 AM..
Old 07-28-2008

Are you type 1 or type 2 diabetes? I'm type 2 and like you I have a huge belly and It seems all I did was drink pop and pee and pee. I detest the taste of water. Have not had a glass of water since 1974. BUT I found Nestle Pure (I think it's called that) comes in lemon, orange etc. What I do is pour about 3/4 of it out and freeze what's left. When it's frozen I pour what I've poured out back in and because it's so cold I can drink it. It has Splenda and not aspertame in it so I can drink that. Since I've completely stopped eating sugar and pop, my diabetes is much more controlled and all the fluid buildup in my legs has dissappeared so I feel lighter and walk easier.

All that being said, I just got back this am from a 5 day mini vac with my main man in Fort Mac. Drank gallons of pop and ate oodles of fried food and fast food so now I'm 5 lbs heaver and feel yuuch. Tomorrow it's back at it and lose this excess along with more excess too.

Let me know how it's going for you sjmommie. If I am able to give you tips or help, I will. I cannot replace your md's advice but I can give you generic tips (like the water thing). I am here to help, you only have to ask.
Old 07-28-2008

sjmommie, your baby is only 6 months old. You are stillrecovering from childbirth and as I said to Futurechef., allow yourself a little time. You are chasing a toddler and a new born too so that's very tiring. I don't think anyone actually expects you to be full of energy and pep. (including yourself) Try the ice cold Nestle Pure and switch your spoonfuls of sugar for Splenda and don't eat cereal because that stuff is just plain processed sugar. Have an egg or something instead. When you stop eating processed sugar you will find in as little as 1 week you stop craving it and you will see weight loss. Even if you do nothing else.
Old 07-28-2008

Send a message via MSN to sjmommie30

lol no my baby is 19 months..he was born december 06..im just tired all the time
Old 07-29-2008

Friday is still weigh day. Cheat on the diet or not still must weigh in on friday. Too bad gym memberships cost so much. I'd love to join one but too expensive so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best.Good luck to all those who are trying too. We all know how hard it is and having someone else doing it and can come here and talk about it helps. Ever need a pep talk, come on in.
Old 07-29-2008

A couple of people asked how I figured out how many calories I need per day and to lose weight. I typed in "how many calories to maintain weight" on google and it took me to a site that help you figure out how many calories I need each day to survive and I already know that each pound of weight equals 3500 calories. I have myself on a very restricted calorie count because I allow myself cheat days and get lots of protein so ends up not too severe. I will tell you honestly if you restrict yourself to less than 1200-1400 calories per day not only will you not lose weight after the first week but it will make you very ill. I did this many years ago when I lost weight back in 88. I ate too few calories and by the end of the month I was unable to sleep through the night , was aggitated, couldn't think straight and was a total mess. Once I brought my calorie count up some I felt better and ended up losing a lot of weight and keeping it off.
Old 07-29-2008

How do you guys find this thread. I only found it by clicking on all threads started by inuit. Where has the thread moved to? Is this the definition of "losing yourself" LOL

Last edited by inuit; 07-29-2008 at 11:28 AM..