hospital stay :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 11-16-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: hospital stay

hospital stay

just wondering if anyone else has had a horrific hospital adventure. Hubby goes in for treatment and they end up breaking his foot in 2 places while in the whirpool tub. What to do? What to do?
Old 11-16-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Get his foot looked after...
Old 11-16-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

How was his foot broken? Was it due to staff incompetence or does hubby have a bone issue that caused it to break so easily. Healthy bones are quite difficult to break. Usually the soft tissue, ligaments, tendons and muscle will give way before a bone breaks
Old 11-17-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

I would say it was staff incompetence since the man has never had a broken bone in his life and it happened after the nurse got his foot stuck in the bathtub water spout. It is so hard to go after a hospital or nurse or doctor. They alll try to lay the blame on the patient and also when he was in the hospital they let his sugar go to 30.9 and he was unconcious for the day with no insulin. it is just crazy in there.
Old 11-17-2010

The only good experience I had while staying in the hospital was when I had student nurses looking after me.My care was horrible on more than one occasion but they just blame understaffing.
Old 11-17-2010

After 13 surgeries and many procedures here and at hospitals in Ontario, I have had many horrible experiences. I have learned to have the hospital staff do the very basic stuff and have relied on family members to help with the complicated stuff. It makes your stay more comfortable and happier!
Old 11-17-2010

I was in the Regional for a month straight....the floor i was on....i think it was either 3DS or 4DS, cant remember.......the nurse's staff were excellent to me, on the weekends...was another story...the weekend staff...man I was lucky to see someone now and then.........LOL....but through the week was amazing....I had a wonderful experience, they saved my life.
Old 11-18-2010

I had a 20 hour wait to have my daughters face stitched back together after she had fallen off her bed and split her face near the lip through and through. Went there at 730pm, ended up leaving the hospital at 4am without being seen. Watched the emergency room fill and empty twice - and there was nothing overly serious - or worse than a gaping hole in a 9yr old girls face. After the guy who left at 10pm came back at 3:30am, after his name was called hours before, got in before us - I was so pi$$ed that if I wasn't so darn tired, I would have drove to Fredericton Hospital.

We came home without being seen at 4am, and went to St. Joes for 9 the next morning only to be transferred to the SJRH to wait for a plastic surgeon who was in surgery. She didn't get home til 3:30 the following day.

Then I receive a bill for 130.60 for an ambulance in which after we seen it wasn't life threatening, didn't take, I drove her myself. At the point of the 911 call there was so much blood and I didn't see where it was coming from...once they got here, we realized it was a gaping hole in her face near the lip. I could understand getting a bill if we had've taken the ambulance...but we didn't. I am kinda thinking of just going and getting my First Aid & CPR renewed, and driving myself - at least its not going to cost me other than 5.00 for gas.
Old 11-19-2010

One time my son who was 9 at the time was taken to the Regional by ambulance from school. He had fallen on the playground and the teachers assumed his leg was broken. Later it was determined he had broken his kneecap in half. Anyhow he was brought in at 10:30 in the morning to the ER and left in the hallway as all the rooms were full. He was in extreme pain and was not seen or given anything for about 2 hours. I was nearly in tears at his distress. He was moaning and groaning and trying to be brave. Finally after all this time the CLEANING LADY who had been sympathizing with us all morning leaned over and said "Son you have to scream a little louder" He did and a doctor rushed over and asked us how long we had been there and was appalled that he had come in by ambulance and no one had seen him yet. Long story short unfortuntally you have to be a squeaky wheel in that system.
Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KET View Post
One time my son who was 9 at the time was taken to the Regional by ambulance from school. He had fallen on the playground and the teachers assumed his leg was broken. Later it was determined he had broken his kneecap in half. Anyhow he was brought in at 10:30 in the morning to the ER and left in the hallway as all the rooms were full. He was in extreme pain and was not seen or given anything for about 2 hours. I was nearly in tears at his distress. He was moaning and groaning and trying to be brave. Finally after all this time the CLEANING LADY who had been sympathizing with us all morning leaned over and said "Son you have to scream a little louder" He did and a doctor rushed over and asked us how long we had been there and was appalled that he had come in by ambulance and no one had seen him yet. Long story short unfortuntally you have to be a squeaky wheel in that system.
I agree. You have to be the squeaky wheel or get a friend or relative who is very vocal to come in and argue on your behalf. Sad but true.
Old 11-20-2010

I have heard a lot of awful storie but have to say that both times I was in the hospital when I had our children, the staff was absolutely amazing and I could not have asked for better care.
Old 11-21-2010

I was vocal - and it still didn't get my daughters face sewn back together any faster. Even with my mouth, the security guard never said a word, as he knew how long I was there for.
Old 11-22-2010

When my then 16 month old split his head open we sat in the waiting room for 4 hours before he got in to be seen. (SJRH) The reason? They had to call in child protective services to "investigate". They thought it was my fault. Yea. And while waiting, I gave him some pens/pencils to draw with, well didn't he fall and drive a pen through the roof of his mouth. OMFG. That was the only reason we got in after 4 hours!

My daughter jumped into a box of picture frames last year, impaled her leg, ended up with 63 stitches in her leg. We were rushed by ambulance (DECH) and sat in emerg. for 2 hours before a Dr even came to look at her! They stitched her up and sent her home. The next day she ended up with massive infections/swelling in her leg, blew out all her stitches and we ended up going back in. Sat for 6 hours in the waiting room, before they would take her back in, sat in the emerg room for 2 more hours before being seen by a dr. Finally (8 hours later!) we get her stitched back up, and sent up to peds. She spent 9 days in there hooked up to iv's. The drs and nurses would not let me change her clothes because she was hooked up to iv's. I begged them to let me bathe her, she had sticky meds in her hair, she was smelly, sweaty, and dirty. NOPE. Would not do it. So my poor baby girl sat in a dirty night dress for days! Finally I got pissed off, unhooked her iv myself, and took her to the bathroom and bathed her. I came back to her room, got her dressed, hair done, hooked up the iv again, and got her back into bed. 2 hours later the nurse came in and asked what I had done. I told her I unhooked it, bathed her, and hooked her back up. She tried to be snotty to me, until I explained why I had to do it. Noone would do it for her!!
Oh yea, the best part? They tried to make me leave her alone at the hospital everynight. They told me parents are not allowed to stay overnight. I told them no way in hell I was leaving my 3 year old alone with the morons they had working there.
Old 11-23-2010

OMFG Mizunderstood. That is absolutely horrible!! I am glad both your kids made out ok. I don't know what is going to become of our healthcare system.
Old 12-13-2010

When we took a trip to Vermont last summer my wife ran into some complications with her pregnancy. She spent the entire week in the hospital before being air lifted back to SJ. Luckily, we had insurance! The hospital stay was out of this world!! The staff, the food, the technology - you name it... it was nothing like I've ever seen before!!!

There's definately pros and cons. - I lost my job this past June (after 12 years) and am back in school. It's one of those situations that makes you realize it's a good thing I don't have to worry about health care for my family - BUT - that doesn't mean I can't complain about how much our system sucks! - After all, as tax payers - we still do pay for it.