Here's a Question Food & Dining

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Food & Dining

Old 11-16-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Here's a Question

I am an older person and to be honest with you I do not like sitting in a silent restaurant..that makes me feel really old..
I like the hubbub of families, children etc
If this bothers you I think you really need to stay home..that's just my humble opinion.
Old 11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbeach View Post
I am an older person and to be honest with you I do not like sitting in a silent restaurant..that makes me feel really old..
I like the hubbub of families, children etc
If this bothers you I think you really need to stay home..that's just my humble opinion.
I think people who take children to adult themed restaurants should stay home :P

If you feel old not being around the noise, then you should choose another restaurant; don't tell me that there shouldn't be any who cater to my desires and tell me to stay home.

How does that make sense at all? There are already restaurants for people who want to be around the noise, and these are also very nice places to go to eat!
Old 11-16-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Crystalbeach, that is why there are family themed restaurants. If you want lots of family noise go there. Those restaurants have good food and are more prepared for children.
When a couple show up at a "grown up" restaurant with their kids they should be sent on there merry way. Why should they be entitled to foist their screaming, running around, food throwing, drink spilling, crying little darlin's on us grown ups?
Old 11-16-2010

"Why should they be entitled to foist their screaming, running around, food throwing, drink spilling, crying little darlin's on us grown ups? "

Who says everyone's child is like this? And if they're an older child, say 10 and up who are perfectly well behaved who says they can't go? Would it really ruin your dining experience if you saw someone who had their well behaved child there?
Old 11-16-2010

Why would someone take their 10 yr. old to an "adult" type restaurant? And yes.

Here's an example; going to the movies can be an enjoyable family experience, however you wouldn't take your child to an Adult/restricted movie. Age appropiate activities in age appropiate venues.

Last edited by Jilly-Bean; 11-16-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Old 11-16-2010

"Why would someone take their 10 yr. old to an "adult" type restaurant?
*Why not?

And yes.
*Maybe you shouldn't leave your house. Ever.

Here's an example; going to the movies can be an enjoyable family experience, however you wouldn't take your child to an Adult/restricted movie. Age appropiate activities in age appropiate venues."

*What does violence, sex and profanity have to do with a nice restaurant? If you're going to make a comparison, please be smarter about it. I will however give you another chance to give another example that isn't as particularly useless. But I'm a nice person like that, what can I say.
Old 11-16-2010

I just HAVE to jump in here. I have been taking my sons to restaurants since they were 5 and 6 years old. They have never run around the restaurant screaming nor have they ever puked or thrown food. These boys were my sons and anywhere I was allowed to go to eat. I would bloody well expect to be able to take them too. Yes even to a local pub before 9pm. What is this "family" theme of which you speak? They all serve food, don't they. Well that's good enough for me. If I want to eat fine food. I expect to be able to feed my sons fine dining too. Wonder how long a restaurant would be in business if they banned children? 2 weeks? They are children not dogs, duh people . Would this be an issue if instead of kids we were talikg of any other predijudice?

I think the issue here is not children in restaurants but people with not enough sense to control their screaming running brats.

Last edited by inuit; 11-16-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Old 11-16-2010

'Family theme' ... Pretty sure it's been mentioned, but there are restaurants who serve a children's menu, and there are restaurants that have deals for kids, and they are also nice restaurants.

I still stand by the idea that if you're taking your kids to places where 'fine dining' is the expectation, then you're ripping them off unless they're mature enough to enjoy such an experience.
Old 11-17-2010

tara... I am very smart thank you. I am also considerate of others. I think that a parent that takes their young children to a fine dining restaurant has some pretty serious entitlement issues and yes, the owner has every right to tell those idiots NO CHILDREN.('cause they can't figure it out on their own) As I said age appropiate experiences in age appropiate venues. If you can't figure that out stay home!
Old 11-17-2010

I don't know really. I am of advanced years and had eaten my share in restaurants. IMO you go to a restaurant and you mind your own business and things will be alright. I have on occasion been annoyed by kids but on the other hand have also been equally or more annoyed by the couple next to me involved in an argument or the guy 2 tables over who is being very loud and obnoxious, staff singing "happy birthday" to some embarassed person, several people celebrating something and being very loud, and there are countless other occasions where other people have annoyed me. I have also been in bars where drunken fools have made my visit unpleasant. That's just life. Nobody's going to ask someone else to leave because you are annoyed by them. People are people . Nobody really cares if you are annoyed by thier behaviour. Just ask them. You just ignore them and consentrate on whats going on at your own table I guess. What would you do if you lived in a crowded city? Demand everyone who annoyed you stay home?

Business owners are there to make money and parents with kids may very well spend more money at that restaurant than you do. Start banning kids they'd have a human rights issue on thier hands. The issue here is not kids in restaurants but kids who are allowed to run, scream and wreck havoc. Whole different issue. These parents are never going to change.

Last edited by inuit; 11-17-2010 at 07:20 AM..
Old 11-17-2010

If you were that considerate I don't think you would be telling THOSE IDIOTS they can not take their children to your favorite restaurants, let alone calling them idiots

Just who has entitlement issues? You seem to think that YOU are entitled to got to YOUR favorite restaurants and that they should BAN children so that YOU can enjoy YOUR meal. To me this mean that you are the one with entitlement issues.

If I do not like the way a restaurant is run, I do not go there. I don't tell them that they need to ban people who annoy me. It is there business. If enough people don't come they will get the message that they need to make changes. If they make a comfortable profit, then obviously the problem isn't as bad as you seem to think.

There are plenty of adults out there that can make a dining experience unpleasant. I have never been in a restaurant that I had problems with seeing families with children there. But I have been at restaurant where I wanted to take that drunk, or the person with the cell phone that rings constantly while I'm trying to talk to my wife and chuck them out into the street.
Old 11-17-2010

If you are that easily annoyed maybe you should stay home . See there are a lot of places where kids are not allowed. They are called bars. Maybe people who don't want to see kids should go eat there.

Last edited by inuit; 11-17-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Old 11-17-2010

Why should families be religated to burger, pizza and other junk food restaurants. My boys certainly enjoyed fine dining experience. Not often mind you but when we did go to a fine restaurant we enjoyed it. To reiterate, I have been by far more annoyed by adult behaviour in restaurants than by children's behaviour. Should restaurants ban fools too or just kids? Or should we ask people like you who should or should not be allowed to eat where? No offence intended here just making a point.

Last edited by inuit; 11-17-2010 at 08:40 AM..
Old 11-17-2010

[quote=oasis;373414
You seem to think that YOU are entitled to got to YOUR favorite restaurants and that they should BAN children so that YOU can enjoy YOUR meal. .[/quote]

Yes.
Old 11-17-2010

What about the fools who arrive without kids Jilly. IMO there are a lot more adult fools out there than just fool parents with kids in tow. You don't really think there are no fools and nitwits out there besides parents, do you?

Last edited by inuit; 11-17-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Old 11-17-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly-Bean View Post
Are you for real? Do you know the difference between a fine dining, star rated restaurant and a family oriented restaurant, like hmmm... pizza delite, Jungle Jims ect? Are you as rude and big feeling in public or simply because your hiding behind you're computer. If it's the former then all I can say is wow!
You know, I completely agreed with you in leaving my kids home when going to certain resturants. You shouldn't be pointing fingers at others for being rude, when you, yourself are being rude.....This is a debate, you're not always going to have people on your side, so take it with a grain of salt, instead of calling people "idiots".
Old 11-17-2010

Saintjohngirl, I don't believe I called any one person an idiot.
Old 11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
What about the fools who arrive without kids Jilly. IMO there are a lot more adult fools out there than just fool parents with kids in tow. You don't really think there are no fools and nitwits out there besides parents, do you?
inuit, ummmmm..... I believe we were discussing adults bringing children to fine dining restaurants.
Old 11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly-Bean View Post
Saintjohngirl, I don't believe I called any one person an idiot.
no you didnt call one single person, just every person who has chosen to have kids. So based on the fact that I wanted to have children I have a lower intelligence then yourself, and can only eat hamburgers. You know after this many years no body has told me that, thank you, I will go get my self checked into a special care home after I leave Mcdonalds
Old 11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpage466 View Post
no you didnt call one single person, just every person who has chosen to have kids. So based on the fact that I wanted to have children I have a lower intelligence then yourself, and can only eat hamburgers. You know after this many years no body has told me that, thank you, I will go get my self checked into a special care home after I leave Mcdonalds
Actually Jilly didn't call everyone with kids idiot's, just those who take children to fine dining establishment's. And I having 2 children myself, I agree. If I am going to spend the money to enjoy a excellent meal, then you better believe I want to do it with out the noise of someone kid's!