How Many Hours? Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 11-03-2009
Basic-Level Member

Smile Topic: How Many Hours?

How Many Hours?

How many hours is it one works before they get time and a half.My youngest daughter works for a Home care company and works 50 to 60 hours a week and needs to know if it is actually after 40 hours a week one gets over time or how does it work? Thank you
Old 11-03-2009

Default Topic: How Many Hours?

It's 44 hours, and the employers only HAVE to pay time plus half of minimum wage.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MrsBeasley; 11-03-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Old 11-03-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I believe it is anything over 44hrs. So for example, your daughter makes $10.00 per hr. She works 60hrs. 15hrs would be at time and 1/2. If min. wage is $9.00 per hr. her overtime rate would be $10.00 per hr. PLUS $4.50 per hr. 15 hrs. should be paid at the rate of $14.50. Hope that isn't too confusing.
Old 11-03-2009
Basic-Level Member

Thank you both.I will let her know
Old 11-05-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

in home care it depends
it depends on how they roll their pay periods. When I worked for one, we got paid 2x a month (not bi-weekly) and it did not matter how many hrs you worked per WEEK, you only got overtime on anything more than 88 hrs in 2 weeks. For example one week I work 60 hrs but the next week I only worked 20 hrs, then they would not pay OT. It sucked. And the labor board told me it was legal. She needs to look into how they roll their pay periods. what company is she with? I have worked for most of them in SJ
Old 11-05-2009
Basic-Level Member

She gets paid weekly..I will PM you the company she works for
Old 11-05-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Here is a link.

I find the following quote interesting

Minimum Overtime Rate
The minimum overtime rate payable for each hour worked in excess of forty-four (44) hours per week is one and one-half (1.5) times the minimum wage.

Hope this helps

http://www.gnb.ca/0308/FactSheets/03c.pdf
Old 11-07-2009

I went through this run-around last year.

What I found was:

Min Wage + Min Wage / 2 = still less than 1.0x my hourly rate at the time, though it was quite low. I was working 10 or 20 hours, sometimes more, over the standard hours for the job. They only paid straight time and due to New Brunswick's terrible wage laws, this was legal.

Employers with union employees or simply good hearts often will adhere to the more common rule of thumb which is to pay 1.5x after 44hrs/week. If you work on a holiday, you get 8.0hrs stat holiday pay plus 1.5x pay for each hour you work that day because it was a stat holiday and you worked it. Again, these are due to agreements, contracts, etc.

Our world is often a minimum code environment.
Old 11-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post
I believe it is anything over 44hrs. So for example, your daughter makes $10.00 per hr. She works 60hrs. 15hrs would be at time and 1/2. If min. wage is $9.00 per hr. her overtime rate would be $10.00 per hr. PLUS $4.50 per hr. 15 hrs. should be paid at the rate of $14.50. Hope that isn't too confusing.

Actually they drop your wages to minimum wage and pay you overtime at that wage. I make $10.50 per hour. And I consistently work 99 hours every two weeks. On any portion over 88 hours I get paid $12.38 per hour. They do not add the overtime portion to your normal wage. For those hours over 44, you are payed minimum wage plus over time.

And to add to the fun. If you are making over $12.38 per hour, they don't have to pay you over time! Because if they did, you would be making less than your normal hourly wage!