Will you be getting the swine flu shot? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 10-23-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Will you be getting the swine flu shot?

Will you be getting the swine flu shot?

just wondering how people are thinking.. I have made up my mind and i will not allow my children nor myself to get this shot ,due to the lack of knowledge and testing.. What if it works , And then later on down the road you get a brain tumor or something else serious due to that one shot. there is a girl in the states who got the shot and 10 days later se cant walk forward or speak , but she can walk backwards fine.. there is a video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR5p_bD3uLc this is something people should really sit down and thnk about , the odds of ding from swine flu aren't very high!! i dont think i will risk it I'm just really scared it could harm my kids.
Old 10-23-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Ummm nope. There's too much speculation on the validity of the shot and if it can cause other problems so nope not for me or my daughter.
Old 10-23-2009

I'm still up in the air!!! I never even used to get the regular flu shot until just recently.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/alert-ale...g_h1n1-eng.php

Those who will benefit most from immunization and those who care for them include:

People under 65 with chronic health conditions
Pregnant women
Children 6 months to less than 5 years of age
People living in remote and isolated settings or communities (HUH???? wouldn't they have less contact with people, therefore less potential of catching it????)
Health care workers involved in pandemic response or the delivery of essential health care services
Household contacts and care providers of persons at high risk who cannot be immunized or may not respond to vaccines
Populations otherwise identified as high risk

Others who would benefit from immunization include:

Children 5 to 18 years of age
First responders
Poultry and swine workers
Adults 19 to 64 years of age
Adults 65 and older

After reading the second group, wouldn't that simply mean that EVERYONE would benefit from getting the vaccine????
Old 10-23-2009

I have never in my life received a flu shot, and am in no way going to get this new one. I am pregnant right now, 20 weeks, and although it may be a slightly better idea for me to get it than someone who is not, it is not highly tested yet, and what if it could seriously harm my baby, more than having the flu? I just do not think it is worth the risk
Old 10-23-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I have been going back and forth with this for a while now and am no closer to an answer than I was a month ago.
Old 10-23-2009

No long terms effects are known. I will take my chances with the flu.
Old 10-23-2009

Thank you!! I have been going in circles!! We received a phamplet from school. The school will have them available for the kids next week I believe.

I have never gotten the flu shot, nor has my daughter and we have survived. My granny gets it every year and still manages to get the flu then it turns to pnemonia, so I have never bothered. ACtually, most of the people I know who get it, seem to end up with the flu anyways.

Some of what you have said and the points you've made, has just made up my mind. Thankyou!!

It's a no!!!
Old 10-23-2009

my family will not get the flu shot either. i just seen fox news on facebook and they said theres mercury in the vacine.
Old 10-23-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

My family will all be getting the H1n1 vaccine, there are no more risks associated with it than the regular flu shot people. It would take 10 shots of this to equal the amount of mercury found in a can of tuna fish! There is more risk for you not to get it! Ask any of your family physicians about it, they will put it like this, do you buckle up your child for safety before you go for a drive? Do not rely on information from media, go to the professionals you know! I do not know of 1 doctor at work that won't be getting it. Don't be selfish either, you may not get the flu, but you can be a carrier! Nothing like passing it on to someone else!
Old 10-23-2009

Great post elaine30.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine30 View Post
My family will all be getting the H1n1 vaccine, there are no more risks associated with it than the regular flu shot people. It would take 10 shots of this to equal the amount of mercury found in a can of tuna fish! There is more risk for you not to get it! Ask any of your family physicians about it, they will put it like this, do you buckle up your child for safety before you go for a drive? Do not rely on information from media, go to the professionals you know! I do not know of 1 doctor at work that won't be getting it. Don't be selfish either, you may not get the flu, but you can be a carrier! Nothing like passing it on to someone else!

thats your opinion not mine.
Old 10-23-2009

It has only been tested on 130 people aged 18-60. The Canadian version contains adjuvents so they can spread it further but from what I have read can cause lots of things including autoimmune problems. It also contains mercury. There is no way that we are getting it. I am not giving my children something that has not been tested properly.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine30 View Post
Of course I buckle my child in a safety seat ....BUT.... that safety seat has been through rigorous tests and must meet strict safety standards. This vaccine does not.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
Of course I buckle my child in a safety seat ....BUT.... that safety seat has been through rigorous tests and must meet strict safety standards. This vaccine does not.

i agree 100%
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
For all the "rigorous" tests, over the past couple years there have been mass recalls on carseats and infant bases.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post
For all the "rigorous" tests, over the past couple years there have been mass recalls on carseats and infant bases.
Most of the recalls were precautionary but regardless, you can't recall a vaccine once it has been given.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post
You can't recall something that's in your blood!
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Most of the recalls were precautionary but regardless, you can't recall a vaccine once it has been given.

You can't have regrets if your child becomes critically ill when the illness could have been prevented/lessened.

Further is the issue of exclusion from school/daycare, placing others at risk, and parents losing up to two weeks of work .

It is a personal choice. Ones health care professional is the best one to discuss any concerns with.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by donteatrawpotatoes View Post
You can't recall something that's in your blood!
Well of course you can't, silly!
Old 10-23-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy-shortie View Post
thats your opinion not mine.

It isn't my opinion, just facts! An opinion would be a comment such as, " I believe everyone should get the H1N1 vaccine. I didn't and am not giving my opinion.
There is to much hype about this vaccine, which the media has created.
So, then, all you nay sayers, u guys must believe in polio?