Traveling without a credit card Travel & Tourism

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Travel & Tourism

Old 01-15-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Red face Topic: Traveling without a credit card

Traveling without a credit card

This is continued from the "credit card fraud" thread, it seemed more appropriate here.
Unfortunately, my hotel has had several thousand dollars in losses and damages in a ONE MONTH period, all from cash-paying guests, so we had to start saying credit card or NO ROOM. I don't think it is limited to just us, I just can't speak for the 1500 other hotels in my chain.
Sorry, that is the reality of the travel world these days. People expect breakfast for 4, free parking, free everything, in a double room for $99, so we can't "eat" the losses caused by deadbeat thieving guests. I am sorry for the decent people who are the most affected, the ones who don't plan on stealing tvs and breaking windows and punching holes in walls, the ones who think we are challenging their personal integrity by "not trusting them" but unfortunately, good people sense can't be taught in the Hospitality and Tourism course at NBCC, so the desk clerk generally CAN'T tell the difference. You might think it is obvious that YOU are an upstanding citizen, bringing your three clean, well behaved Dean's list children with your matching Samsonite luggage in the trunk of your 2008 Elantra, but thieves come in all sizes in these desperate financial times. I have checked in greasy scary people on motorcycles who left a huge tip and a spotless room. I have checked in businessmen in Armani suits who trashed the place, insulted the staff, attempted to assault housekeepers, and left a couple of pennies on the floor by the table. I have checked in women who looked like suburban housewives who have proceeded to be crack-using hookers that stole everything not nailed down. 2/3 of the theft and damages we had last month were from "repeat" guests, i.e. ones who had been with us once or twice before and so we did not suspect they would be trouble this time.
Old 01-15-2009

Default Topic: Traveling without a credit card

I have to agree with you, to protect yourself, I'd ask for a credit card in that situation as well.
Old 01-15-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

i always expect to give a cc number. I cant expect people who dont know me to trust me with a room and its contents. I would never damage anything, but thats beside the point. Even the motel we go to in Maine, and have been for the past 20 summers, takes a CC imprint. We always settle the bill in cash, but they still ask. Its their right to protect their property...
Old 01-16-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Credit Cards...

I understand where you are coming from, it's just a shame that it's come to that...14 years ago, I made a conscious decision to live on cash...I don't even own a card for emergencies...If I don't have the money I don't buy it. It's only in the past year that I've found problems with this mode of living. When I get a hotel room, I usually just pay a deposit, it's been up to 400.00, but I get it back when I check out, not a huge deal. It's just sad that a person is almost forced to get a credit card though, especially in today's economy where so many people are in way over their heads with credit. I still refuse to get a credit card though. If one hotel won't book me, I'll just keep calling around, or bring a tent and find a campground...LOL.
Old 01-16-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I got back into credit cards a couple of years ago. I did it to build credit. It worked. I still keep my limit low and pay in full after my bill comes in every month. If my limit was ever raised, I'd lower it again.
Old 01-17-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Well, I'm still holding out! LOL. I may be forced at some point to get one, but I'm hoping that won't happen!