Do any of the local hotels allow monthly swim passes Sports & Activities

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Sports & Activities

Old 08-18-2008

Default Topic: Do any of the local hotels allow monthly swim passes

Do any of the local hotels allow monthly swim passes

Just wondering if any of the local hotels sell monthly pool/swim passes?
Not interested in going to the Gym pools..Hours aren't conducive to what I need.
Old 08-18-2008

Most do.

I was a member of Fort Howe's pool. But then the water was getting cloudy and the hot tub had a faint smell of urine. They were re-doing their changing rooms and showers, but still pretty dumpy. I cancelled my membership and told them they need to clean their pools.

Not sure where I am going now. I might just go to the Colonial Inn when they are done their renovations.
Old 08-18-2008

I know the previous owner Mr Buckley did monthly passes at the C.I. but I am not sure if the new fellows will. I am hoping for something closer on the east side...
Trinity, do you know?
Old 08-18-2008

I called pretty much everyone in town a few months back. At the time the Colonial Inn did offer memberships. $50 for a month.

As for the east side there is only two Hotels that have pools and they are both new, so I have no clue.

I'll probably call some places this week and find out who has the best prices again.
Old 08-19-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Pool membership

I Am a member of the Fort Howe pool and there are 2 new and VERY PRIVATE large full function change rooms with showers, toilets, sinks etc, these are very nice and HUGE ( you can have your entire family in each one) Plus a redone set of additional LARGE change only rooms for quick changing if you want to shower off quickly on the pool deck. Its a pull chain type and I get a kick out of it ...LOL
They also have a decent workout area seperate from the pool but it gets warm at times in there when there is more than 3 people working out. Ventilation could be better in there.

kaj27 said:
"I was a member of Fort Howe's pool. But then the water was getting cloudy and the hot tub had a faint smell of urine."

Firstly, regarding the hot tub, I don't know where you get off saying that kind of stuff about that place because the maintenace guy there drains it ALMOST EVERY DAY...usually right before I'm about it get in...lol thats unheard of.
Most places like that only do it when its too dirty for chemicals to clean it.

As for the pool, they had a problem with the filter i was told and they have since changed the silica sand and had it all it tested professionally for safety.
The air temperature is a bit warm and makes the pool feel cool some days, but once your in...

The price is good and they even provide a FREE TOWEL SERVICE....not often you see that for the price....
I only paid $40.00 a month for the pool and gym...unlimited use.

Sweet deal.
( they also have a drop in swim so you can come try it out for yourself)

GG

......See you there

Last edited by GameGuy; 08-19-2008 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 08-19-2008
New Member (< 10 posts)

swimming

Colonial Inns on City Road offer a monthy membership. The pool is not accessible at the moment as it is being overhauled but should be up and running soon. No set time to use the pool, come and go as you please from early morning till late evening......stay as long as you like!
Old 08-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuy View Post
I Am a member of the Fort Howe pool and there are 2 new and VERY PRIVATE large full function change rooms with showers, toilets, sinks etc, these are very nice and HUGE ( you can have your entire family in each one) Plus a redone set of additional LARGE change only rooms for quick changing if you want to shower off quickly on the pool deck. Its a pull chain type and I get a kick out of it ...LOL
They also have a decent workout area seperate from the pool but it gets warm at times in there when there is more than 3 people working out. Ventilation could be better in there.

kaj27 said:
"I was a member of Fort Howe's pool. But then the water was getting cloudy and the hot tub had a faint smell of urine."

Firstly, regarding the hot tub, I don't know where you get off saying that kind of stuff about that place because the maintenace guy there drains it ALMOST EVERY DAY...usually right before I'm about it get in...lol thats unheard of.
Most places like that only do it when its too dirty for chemicals to clean it.

As for the pool, they had a problem with the filter i was told and they have since changed the silica sand and had it all it tested professionally for safety.
The air temperature is a bit warm and makes the pool feel cool some days, but once your in...

The price is good and they even provide a FREE TOWEL SERVICE....not often you see that for the price....
I only paid $40.00 a month for the pool and gym...unlimited use.

Sweet deal.
( they also have a drop in swim so you can come try it out for yourself)

GG

......See you there

I get off saying it because it's my experience. I was a member there for about 6 months and I saw a large decline. The hot tub is in terrible disrepair. Only 2 out of 5 jets work the water is always yellowed.

The pool sure, okay they had filter problems. So why was it allowed to be open? Nothing like cloudy water!

My experience, please don't belittle my opinion. And for the changing rooms, they just updated them. They use to be carpeted. Who in God's name carpets a pool area. It smell like urine and vomit, which in fact was left on the floor for 2 days!, vomit that is.

I will not be returning, so no you won't see me there.
Old 08-19-2008

Your opinion...

Your opinion is just that...an opinion.

Those *cough* carpeted change rooms were only temp. until the others were finished. And it didn't take 6 months either.
The carpet has LONG been removed and nice ceramic was professionally installed throughout the entire area...those change rooms were originally used by the fitness center but modified for the pool.

As for your experiences with the hot tub... I have NEVER seen the hot tub as bad as you say...you obviously have had bad luck there and thats too bad for you, but I like it, its always clean, the people are friendly and receptive (even the other members) This carpet you talk about was not there for 6 months as you said, maybe 4. Also, I have never seen any vomit on the carpet, but it did start to smell musty before the tile was done.

The hot tub is always drained and the only way it could get as bad as you say is if an entire hockey team urinated in it. Not likely.
AND I counted the jets today when I was in it...very easy with the water crystal clear...there is only 4, not 5 and one of them is capped off, the other 3 work fine. ( not as powerful as the CGAC jets but its clean and hot)

Some of the previous members used to hop in the hot tub without showering off first and thats nasty...I mentioned it to other members and it has either stopped or they didn't renew. *whatever works*

I have only seen the pool cloudy off and on every couple days for about two weeks once while they tried to clean it up with chemicals, turned out to be a tired filter. The water was tested and I personally asked to see the report. It showed that it was safe for swimmers. The ph was off a bit and the chlorine was higher than normal which caused a problem with the filter as it was overdue for replacement and not filtering organic properly.

Again, your opinion is your opinion, and if you write a post telling of things that are outdated,biased,misleading and exagerated IMHO, I have every right to say it. The original thread was looking for current, accurate information.
You responded with neither.

GG.
Old 08-20-2008

Personally to me, it sounds like you work there.

But again draining a hot tub on a daily basis makes no sense what so ever. The tubs are suppose to be designed to run months at a time without draining. Clearly something is afoot if they must drain it daily.

But hey, talking down to people is fun too.
Old 08-20-2008
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyluv View Post
Just wondering if any of the local hotels sell monthly pool/swim passes?
Not interested in going to the Gym pools..Hours aren't conducive to what I need.

I know if probably doesn't fit your schedule, but the aquatic center has memberships starting from $40 (if you have it set up as direct withdrawl each month). They do keep the lap lanes available just about all hours they are open, but of course they hours may not be what you're looking for .

Just thought I'd mention it, at least if you're looking to swim laps it's not necessarily as busy as a hotel pool can be
Old 08-21-2008

kaj27 said :
*Basic-Level*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally to me, it sounds like you work there.

But again draining a hot tub on a daily basis makes no sense what so ever. The tubs are suppose to be designed to run months at a time without draining. Clearly something is afoot if they must drain it daily.

But hey, talking down to people is fun too.

Draining a busy hot tub in a commercial environment makes perfect sense
if you want clean water....I hope your never in charge of any hot tub around here...LOL
Thats one hell of a lot of chemicals to be swimming in for MONTHS at a time...
Commercial hot tubs in the hospitality industry are not treated with any kind of respect compared to your own personal unit. Only the person IN the hot tub knows what they did while they were in it.
Example: I was in Orland a few years ago and went into the pool for a swim...turns out the 2 guys and a girl in the hot tub were not intersted in a nice relaxing soak...

I find it comforting to know they change the water so often...its must be expensive as that is a lot of water over the course of one year.

You think I work at the Hotel, i'm flattered...lol
( maybe i'll redo the hot tub...its a little dated)

GG.
Old 08-22-2008

I have a monthly pass at the fort howe and love it there...it is 40 dollars a month taxes in and you can bring guests with you...and other then friday nights and saturdays the pool is ormally empty!!! check it out
Old 09-03-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
I called pretty much everyone in town a few months back. At the time the Colonial Inn did offer memberships. $50 for a month.

As for the east side there is only two Hotels that have pools and they are both new, so I have no clue.

I'll probably call some places this week and find out who has the best prices again.
Just FYI, the Hampton Inn does NOT do memberships, nor do they do pool parties. There is no "drop in" pass and no day use rate.
Old 09-03-2008

I figured as much.

When I lived in Rothesay I tried the 'new' Amsterdam Inn. They said they would be offering passes/memberships. Then once then opened they changed their minds.

Oh well.
Old 09-04-2008
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I know now why pool parties aren't encouraged, after working at 4 local hotels, if you had seen what I've seen after a birthday party...people just don't give a hoot when they are "paying". Two large garbage bags full of garbage, 30 soaking wet pool towels heaped on the carpet, pizza smeared on the walls and white bedding, chips and half-chewed food stuffed under couch cushions and in the night stands, that stupid glitter confetti everywhere, broken and whole balloons all over the room for the enjoyment of latex-intolerant cleaning staff, ice cream cake melted in a big chocolate puddle all over the table and carpet... if people would treat it even somewhat like their own home and bag up their trash and limit each kid to one towel, we would go for it.
Old 09-04-2008

Just got off the phone with Fort Howe and "Kelly" states pool memebership is $35.00 and pool/fitness facility is $45.00 per month. You can bring up to 4 guests with the pool memebership.
Old 09-06-2008

Well at Fort Howe last week the pool was disgusting again.

What's the excuse this time? Gnomes? Moon too close to the earth?
Old 09-06-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
Well at Fort Howe last week the pool was disgusting again.

What's the excuse this time? Gnomes? Moon too close to the earth?

You didn't go back to Fort Howe kaj27!(or did you?)
Old 09-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstu View Post
You didn't go back to Fort Howe kaj27!(or did you?)
I asked myself the same question
Old 09-08-2008

Snap some photos if there is a next time