Need help!!!!!!Stone chips General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 03-27-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: Need help!!!!!!Stone chips

Need help!!!!!!Stone chips

.....just got my new ride a couple months ago, and I got 6~7 stone chips already. I used OEM touch-up paint, and used clay bar to clean up the over spray, then used turtle polishing to polish-----and I screwed up, there are visible circles after the polish, and the chip is still visible............

I am tired, could any of you recommend a good place to fix my stone chips (without painting the whole hood) as from my previous experience, the new paint will never blend in....and it is expensive as well...

I am not looking to restore my stone chips 100% like nothing ever happened before, all I want is to make my hood look better~

thanks so much in advance for any advise~~~~
Old 03-27-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

BTW, as far as I know, stone chips can be almost perfectly repaired without painting a big area.....but the thing is, I don't really have the skills needed...

Old 03-28-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Pls help
Old 03-28-2009

There are companies that can fix stone chips to appear almost perfect again. I'm not sure if there are any in Saint John. But thumb through the yellow pages.

You took the right approach, but waxing in March is a big no no. The car must be cool to the touch, but still warmer than the warmest day in March. Waxing in the cold always forms swirls and blotches. You could try a more aggressive clay bar to remove the wax, or a dish detergent to help remove the wax. But it may take sometime.

To anyone buying a new car, I highly recommend this product!

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

Best investment in a new car.
Old 03-28-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
There are companies that can fix stone chips to appear almost perfect again. I'm not sure if there are any in Saint John. But thumb through the yellow pages.

You took the right approach, but waxing in March is a big no no. The car must be cool to the touch, but still warmer than the warmest day in March. Waxing in the cold always forms swirls and blotches. You could try a more aggressive clay bar to remove the wax, or a dish detergent to help remove the wax. But it may take sometime.

To anyone buying a new car, I highly recommend this product!

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

Best investment in a new car.

Thanks for your comment~ I tried to fix those swirls myself this morning, and I managed to make them disappear by using Quixx System (available in Canadian tire, special price this week $14.99).

Quixx is a two step solution which includes initial polish and mirror polish, since I have already polished my car lastnight with the crapy Turtle wax thing, I only used mirror polish this morning to deal with my swirls - and trust me, it looks way better than last night.

Yes, I thought about 3M invisible car bra, but I don't know where to get it and how to get it installed....I guess it should similar material as "invisible shield" for iphone.........see I could not even get the tiny "invisible shield" installed perfectly on my phone, so I don't really think I can get the car bra installed myself.

I think I'd better to fix all the stone chips first and then install a 3M car bra....I have searched yellowpages and no luck at all, tried a couple body shops - same answer everywhere---see, it doesn't make any sense to paint the whole hood and risking an ugly color dismatch to get rid a couple tiny stone chips

Hopefully there's someone know where to fix it....thanks anyway
Old 03-28-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

still waiting for help
Old 03-28-2009

Normally forum etiquette is to not bump for help every few hours. Wait a day before posting "Still waiting..."

Posting or bumping frequently usually yeilds less results.
Old 03-29-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj27 View Post
Normally forum etiquette is to not bump for help every few hours. Wait a day before posting "Still waiting..."

Posting or bumping frequently usually yeilds less results.
Sure, I'll wait a couple of days and see how it goes~thx