antenna tv :: Saint John, NB - Computers & Technology

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Computers & Technology

Old 04-11-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: antenna tv

antenna tv

OK all you techies out there I need an answer to this. I have an antenna tv in my bedroom. I use it to record a show or two on my vcr, What's the latest news on when my antenna will be no longer usable and how can i use my tv then?
Old 04-11-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

you might be lucky to get cbc or atv on over the air antenna, cbs and pbs went to digital last year and you can only get those with one of 2 things, a newer tv (IE, a lcd or plasma tv) that has the NTSC tuner which can recieve both analog and digital over the air signals through your antenna, or theres a digital converter box that you can get that connects to your older tv and antenna and will scan for digital channels, and yes the channels are free with the digital converter box. For when all channels will be going digital, it was either sometime this year or 2011 roughly
Old 04-12-2010

I was wondering when they were going totally digital here in Canada. I know the US went digital last year. I get cbc, atv and global on my antenna right now. I hate the thought of them going digital. I know I am old and techno challenged but it just seem to be the last vistage of something free and really easy to get with just a wire and a coat hanger. I have 2 tiny ac/dc tv's that I will not be able to use then either. Oh well, time and tide........
Old 04-12-2010

Deadline for all going digital: For Canada: 31st Aug 2011.

BTW, Inuit, where do you live and where you put your antenna (indoor or outdoor)? I live in Forest Hills and I bought few indoor antenna from Futureshop and CanadianTire, but they all don't work. So I have to pay 35 every month for just basic cable, and.......that will be all over next August!
Old 04-12-2010

I have always gotten signal from my antenna no matter wherelived. Sometimes it takes a little while to twist and turn the antenna to get signal. I have even gotten signal using a metal clothes hanger. I got my indoor antenna from Value Village about 2 years ago. Maybe you need a 6 ft length of antenna wire so you can move the antenna away from the tv. If you try that, let me know how it works.
Old 04-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuxinbing View Post
? I live in Forest Hills and I bought few indoor antenna from Futureshop and CanadianTire, but they all don't work. So I have to pay 35 every month for just basic cable

Are you using an old tv and just the antenna? if so....thats your problem because you need one of the new digital converter boxes that connects to your older tv and antenna to scan for free over the air digital channels, and then there would be no need for the basic cable subscription.
Old 04-12-2010

I have a newer tv and I just use a regular antenna. I have the little end on the antenna wire that makes it screw into the back of my tv instead of the screw holder "Y" shaped things, Maybe you need longer antenna wire so you can get the rabbit ears away from the tv