work camps Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 02-11-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Red face Topic: work camps

work camps

My Husband wants to go out west for a little while and we were wondering if anyone could give us some information on work camps etc.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2011
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: work camps

What do you want to know
Old 02-12-2011

Which ones should he try to get on at, What can he expect? Any info would be great.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2011

The best info I can give you is this... you MUST be hired here before you go out there. You cannot go out there hoping to get a job and then get into the camps. There are many men in Fort Mac who are unemployed and are living on the streets. If you get hired here your BA will arrange your camp for you.
Old 02-19-2011
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

There is also non-union options as well... not as many mind you. Look online.

What type of work does he do?

I can tell you, from someone who has lived the camp life, it's not too bad as long as you come prepared. It's is a good investment to have a laptop so that you can remain in touch with family, and when you are there it's best to try not to get mixed up in things. There is a lot of drugs and things in the camp, but in all honesty it's pretty easy to avoid if you choose to. Also, even if you are a smoker, my recommendation would be to take a non-smoking room, and just smoke outside. There tends to be more commotion in the smoking trailers.

Last edited by rhiley_08j; 02-20-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Old 02-19-2011

He is a first year apprentice carpenter.
Old 02-20-2011

Rhiley is right; There are not many non union options but there are a few. I was talking to a young man who I bought my var from who was leaving to go to Fort Mac to drive a truck for Suncor. He had been hired here and a camp room was arranged for him by the company out there. Many of the camps are dry camps. No booze allowed.
Old 02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLLY View Post
He is a first year apprentice carpenter.

Is he an apprentice through the union?
Old 02-20-2011

Yes he is.
Old 02-21-2011

I am in the Carpenter's union as well. Just to let you know, they will not dispatch apprentices for camp jobs. Journeymen only. However, if he wants to go out and do scaffolding and has enough hours in that end of the trade they can dispatch him out as a Journeyman. What does he want to do? Scaffolding or carpentry? He might be able to get a job out there doing framing or formwork and make arrangements for accommodations. PM me his name, I might know him.