The Shining Arts & Entertainment

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Arts & Entertainment

Old 06-10-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: The Shining

The Shining

I love this movie. I have been looking for it forever and finally broke down and went onto ebay and got myself a copy.

I am a bit confused so I am wondering if anyone else is a fan of this movie and if they can answer me a question.

During the movie when Jack is taking to the ghost of Delbert Grady (A previous caretaker who went cabin fever crazy and killed his wife, 2 daughters and then himself). Jack tells Grady that he remembers reading the newspaper about him and what he did to his family, and reminds him that he(Grady) used to be the caretaker there. Grady then says to Jack "I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but you are the care taker. You've always been the care taker. I should know sir I've always been here."

The wife and child survive...and then at the end it shows him dead in the snow bank inside the maze, then it shows him in the Overlook Hotel Ball picture dated 1921.

So that's the part that confuses me. Did he just magically go into the picture because when he went nuts and died he also became a ghost of the hotel, or does it mean that he was always the care taker and it was him that went crazy and not the Grady fella...???
Old 06-10-2009

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/stan...he-shining.php
Old 06-11-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

I always assumed,since the hotel claimed him,in a Twilight Zone type way it added him to the picture of souls it had taken.But that was just my thought lol.
Old 06-11-2009

Thanks puppyluv!!

So I guess it's more or less up to how each person interprets it. Both of my thoughts were mentioned in that write up...so I guess the question goes unanswered...kinda cool really ...leaves that air of mystery lingering huh! But, it doesn't mention much of the mother and son surviving...that is part of what baffles me. If jack was a reincarnation of delbert so to speak then were the mother and son real and did they really escape or was it all the hotel recreating the horrible events that did take place in the 20's only with different people....again it's a mystery!!

Wonder when they will do a re-make of this one..I'm sure it will just be a matter of time. I hear they are going to re-make the movie IT. So maybe more Stephen King stories will be remade too. I will always like the originals best, but the re-makes are cool sometimes because they explain what the original doesn't....
Old 06-11-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

They did a made for tv remake of the shining about 10 years ago. I thought it was very good and they changed the ending the way it was supposed to be. the way it was written in the book. i've read about 30 king books and they always screw up the movies although the shining is good. can't wait when they make the dark towers into a movie. 7 books. 7 thick books and I love the ending. wont say what it is, you can read all 7 books if you like.
Old 06-11-2009

I have never read the book. I have only read a couple by Stephen King, dunno why either because I love his stuff!!!

I haven't seen the made for tv movie but I did notice it listed on ebay amongst the version I bought. I didn't realize it was a remake, just figured it was along the same lines as the one I got.

I'm gonna have to go do some searching for some books I think!! =) Then maybe I can find out what the deal is. I have never even heard of Dark Towers. It is 7 books long? Wow. I might like to read those! I wonder if my mother has any Stephen KIng...I'll have to find that out. I know she used to.....if not a trip to Coles or Indigo is in order soon then. =)

Thanks Jamez!!
Old 06-16-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Um, have you tried the library?? Lots of books, FREE!
Movies RARELY measure up to the book. (imho but I'm not alone)
My daughter is reading Pelham 123 now because she wants to know what it's really supposed to be before she sees the movie. I told her (yrs ago) she couldn't see Harry Potter til she read the book. She thanks me (rare, but it happens)
vision.gnb.ca